EICJoe

Pocket Tactics 2016 GOTY Awards Discussion Thread

Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:13 pm

This is the official discussion thread for the 2016 Pocket Tactics Game of the Year Awards.

Voting is OPEN.

You can read all of the details on our official post.

You're free to discuss what you're nomination/votes are here, however please remember that only votes emailed to me will count. Please read the post for details on how to do this.

GLHF!
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

geigerm

Re: Pocket Tactics 2016 GOTY Awards Discussion Thread

Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:14 am

Well, I asked for this thread, so I'll start.

I already sent in my ballot and immediately started reconsidering because of some of the games I left off.

Game of the Year - Imbroglio
Runner-Up - Pathfinder Adventures
Wildcard - Patchwork: The Game

Main Categories

Strategy - Tactical - Imbroglio
Strategy – Strategic - The Battle of Polytopia
Boardgame - Twilight Struggle
Card Game - Solitairica
RPG - Pathfinder Adventures
Action - Crypt of the NecroDancer Pocket Edition
Word/Puzzle - RYB.
Multiplayer - Patchwork: The Game
Management/Sim - Mini Metro

Mini Metro and Twilight Struggle were no-brainers in their categories. I struggled to classify some games--I've spent the most time with Imbroglio, I think, but I don't know what it is. Tactical strategy seemed like the best fit. Polytopia's the closest thing I've played to a "strategic" game. Calling Pathfinder an RPG let me make room for Solitairica.

There are other games I've really enjoyed that didn't make the cut: Guild of Dungeoneering, Really Bad Chess, Sky Force Reloaded, Hero Generations, I Keep Having This Dream, Human Resource Machine, Frost. Feel like I should have made room for some--or all--of them.

biffpow

Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:21 am

I'm cross-posting from the official post, to @Baelnor's comment--which I agree with; by that list, it really was a lean year. I think I have maybe 6 or 7 games on that list? I'll have to check, but that's from memory.

I did purchase some interactive fiction things that aren't on there and other games that must not have gotten reviewed here or maybe didn't come out in 2016, I suppose.

I can understand why Joe is inclined to limit voting to what's been reviewed, but I think limiting games to appearing only once on anyone's list is going to prop up some lesser titles. Is Sorcery 4 the best RPG or Interactive Fiction? Is Twilight Struggle the best Boardgame or Multiplayer? Just as two examples.

EICJoe

Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:50 am

Well, I asked for this thread, so I'll start.

I already sent in my ballot and immediately started reconsidering because of some of the games I left off.
If you want to re-send your submission, you're more than welcome to. I will use the most recent email as your final choice.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

EICJoe

Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:55 am

I'm cross-posting from the official post, to @Baelnor's comment--which I agree with; by that list, it really was a lean year. I think I have maybe 6 or 7 games on that list? I'll have to check, but that's from memory.

I did purchase some interactive fiction things that aren't on there and other games that must not have gotten reviewed here or maybe didn't come out in 2016, I suppose.

I can understand why Joe is inclined to limit voting to what's been reviewed, but I think limiting games to appearing only once on anyone's list is going to prop up some lesser titles. Is Sorcery 4 the best RPG or Interactive Fiction? Is Twilight Struggle the best Boardgame or Multiplayer? Just as two examples.
Hey Biff,

You may have a point - I guess I was trying to keep things open so that something that legitimately could span a couple of genres doesn't dominate all of them. I guess from my POV it doesn't matter which one S4 or Twilight Struggle wins - it's good enough to win one of them but it doesn't need to win both. My experience tells me that, bar some exceptions, a game is more one category than another so you just have to pick which one you think matters more.

I'd also say that maybe TS is a Boardgame first, and a multiplayer game second, but the MP category does allow for some tactical distribution of nominations.

If you guys think this is a real problem, let me know and we can re-evaluate things :)
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

biffpow

Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:22 am

I guess from my POV it doesn't matter which one S4 or Twilight Struggle wins - it's good enough to win one of them but it doesn't need to win both.
That's a really good point. I guess I just hope it wins one of them. If half of us think S4 is an RPG and the rest of us think it's a text game....

tgl

Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:48 am

If half of us think S4 is an RPG and the rest of us think it's a text game....
Yeah, that's the problem with being laissez-faire about this: if it's not clear which category a given game belongs in, its votes will get split, so it could manage to lose in each category even if it had the most votes overall.

Since we're already limiting the nominees to games reviewed in PT, it seems to me it wouldn't be that hard for somebody to make a list assigning each reviewed game to a category. Then it'd be clear where to vote for a game you like. Don't bother arguing whether it's the right category, we just need a common understanding of what goes where.

EICJoe

Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:27 am

That's a really good point. I guess I just hope it wins one of them. If half of us think S4 is an RPG and the rest of us think it's a text game....
Yeah, that's the problem with being laissez-faire about this: if it's not clear which category a given game belongs in, its votes will get split, so it could manage to lose in each category even if it had the most votes overall.
These are very valid concerns. I will have to think on it, as I'm not sure how to represent the information and there's a danger this could be a little arbitrary.

I can always jury-rig something behind the scenes though if a game's votes are too split between categories? Count the total number of votes across everywhere but only have it win in one category? Would you guys be comfortable with that?

I guess I've always thought a game is, usually, more one category than another. S4 I'd say is a text-game first, because it's a text-based RPG as to separate it from other kinds of RPGs, but I guess I'm under-estimating how much debate can be had for something like this :)
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

biffpow

Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:29 pm

I can always jury-rig something behind the scenes though if a game's votes are too split between categories? Count the total number of votes across everywhere but only have it win in one category? Would you guys be comfortable with that?
That sounds good to me--thanks, Joe.
I guess I've always thought a game is, usually, more one category than another. S4 I'd say is a text-game first, because it's a text-based RPG as to separate it from other kinds of RPGs, but I guess I'm under-estimating how much debate can be had for something like this :)
It is kind of a fine line with some of these games. If a game were to dominate multiple categories, though, it might be a clear sign that it is Game of the Year material. On the other hand, if there was something I really liked from Choice of Games, I might vote for that in text-based and put S4 in RPG just to allow me to give the first game placement.

I'm not sure there's any way to do it that will be "right". Hence, leave it up to Joe to manipulate from the shadows!

EICJoe

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:42 am

What do you guys think of the awards so far? I'm back from my Christmas break so just uploading the rest of them now.

For the record - the way I handled votes across multiple categories was to tally up all the votes across the board, and then apply them to the category that a game had the most nominations in (in other words, the category that readers agreed it belonged to the most). Any ties I broke myself based on where I thought the game fit best and looking at what the review said.
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Return to “Mobile Games”