geigerm

Re: Pocket Tactics 2016 GOTY Awards Discussion Thread

Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:17 am

So far, so good. The card game voting just reaffirms that I have to take a look at Concrete Jungle soon.

The only category I'd argue with is Word/Puzzle. I'm thrilled to see two personal favorites in Mini Metro and Imbroglio earn recognition, but I don't see those as puzzle games.

To me, each level in a puzzle game always presents the same starting state and can be solved, clearly ending the level. Neither of those games have those traits. You can "solve" an Imbroglio board by getting 256 stars, but the enemies spawn randomly, so the same board plays differently every time. As for Mini Metro, I don't think there's anything deterministic about each playthrough, which ends when your trains get overrun--there's no solution.

As I mentioned earlier, I wasn't sure how to classify Imbroglio. It's a roguelike that doesn't neatly fit into any PT category, I think. Mini Metro seems to be a pretty clear subway sim, albeit an extremely minimalistic one.

tourneur

Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:50 pm

Is there no overall game of the year?

EICJoe

Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:28 pm

Is there no overall game of the year?
The Reader's Choice award is the closest thing to an overall winner we have for 2016. I didn't feel comfortable doing an Editor's Choice, although I suppose I could have had the staff vote in an 'Overall' category, but I felt it was more appropriate for the readers to have the final, definitive say.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

biffpow

Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:43 pm

I didn't feel comfortable doing an Editor's Choice,
Out of curiosity, what was your favorite new game of the year? Not asking for you to make a declarative "best", just what did you enjoy the most?

Mine was probably Mini Metro, though the game I played the most was not a 2016 release (Gems of War).

EICJoe

Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:48 pm

I didn't feel comfortable doing an Editor's Choice,
Out of curiosity, what was your favorite new game of the year? Not asking for you to make a declarative "best", just what did you enjoy the most?

Mine was probably Mini Metro, though the game I played the most was not a 2016 release (Gems of War).
I really enjoyed Reigns actually - when Matt brought it up as a pitch, I asked for a copy for myself so I could keep tabs on it (I like to do that as much as possible). I haven't played it in a while but for a few hours there I was completely hooked - I love Deck-Building generally as a mechanic and this was a very unique implementation in a solo environment.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

biffpow

Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:04 pm

I really enjoyed Reigns actually - when Matt brought it up as a pitch, I asked for a copy for myself so I could keep tabs on it (I like to do that as much as possible). I haven't played it in a while but for a few hours there I was completely hooked - I love Deck-Building generally as a mechanic and this was a very unique implementation in a solo environment.
Thanks! I really need to try that game. I also enjoy deck building, but something about how it looked just sort of didn't click with me. But it seems to be rather well-received, so I need to give it a shot (as soon as I have time).

Return to “Mobile Games”