JammaTal

Gems of War Guild thread continued

Sun May 29, 2016 12:12 am

so let's build a new home for our GoW guild.

i want to start by linking to our insightful GoW thread in the old PT forum:
http://pockettactics.vanillaforums.com/ ... -war-guild

geigerm

Re: Gems of War Guild thread continued

Sun May 29, 2016 11:26 am

Thanks for posting this thread--I thought about posting something when the new update dropped and just didn't get around to it.

What do you guys think of the new PvP system? I like the ability to choose from 3 different opponents, but I feel like it'll take longer to reach tier 1 with this system. And I really don't like getting penalized for defenses lost when I have no control over those matches.

Falkenstein

Sun May 29, 2016 9:10 pm

On the plus side of the new PvP system, I do like the option to choose from three opponents, and I want to recall from the preview trailer that something like the new tier 5 was intended to be equivalent to the old tier 1, with the new structure and tiers 4 to 1 providing greater rewards for those who invest more time.

Overall, I don't think the new PvP structure is a good fit for me, I had felt that in the previous implementation that I could "casually" reach the rewards that included Glory, now it appears that I will need to change my approach if I'm looking to acquire Glory currency for the weekly purchase option.

JammaTal

Mon May 30, 2016 3:21 am

in the old PvP system we started with only two wins needed for the first levels.
now when fighting only the toughest opponents we need 4 or 5 wins to reach next rank, right from the very start.
when fighting the weakest it may take 9 or 10 wins for each rank.
and we no longer get any bonus for a winning streak.
so it definitely takes much longer to advance to top PvP rank.

but losses don't seem to bring us down in any way, neither in PvP tier nor in ranked leaderboard. just a case of statistics.
so nothing to lose but defense victories can earn us some points and rewards.

biffpow

Mon May 30, 2016 4:48 pm

So there's no real penalty for playing PVP now even if you lose?

geigerm

Mon May 30, 2016 4:58 pm

It looks like you can both earn and lose points toward your ranking, so I'd say there's still a definite penalty for losing.

Having them take out winning streaks is slightly annoying, but I get why--it was incredibly easy to game that system by quitting the app before the end of a loss.

robthomasson

XP Awarded & JammaTal's Line Up

Tue May 31, 2016 8:48 am

I seem to get 58 xp for a win in PVP whatever the level of the opposition.
Edit: I just got 72 xp for a win against the leftmost opponent, then back to 58. Thrilling eh?

So grinders will just beat on the easy leftmost offered opponents.

Other topic - what line up are you using these days JammaTal?

Holsten-Knight

Tue May 31, 2016 7:28 pm

True, xp may be the same. But who cares about xp? Ranking points is way more important. And that is usually +10, +18 and +26-41. hero level used to be good for nothing (except tougher opponents). This may have changed with the update, but still... Who has the hero in his team? :D

biffpow

Everyone's Line Up

Tue May 31, 2016 7:54 pm

Other topic - what line up are you using these days JammaTal?
I'd love to know what everyone's using, actually. I feel like I need to shake up my teams and try some new combos. I've been mainly running

The Great Maw
Rock Worm
Deep Borer
Ghiralee

Though she seems to draw a lot of targeted enemy spells (leaving the other three free to wreak havoc on the board), I don't think Ghiralee is necessarily the best synergy with the rest of that, so I'm very much open to suggestions.

Anyone having luck getting a team together around the new Yeti?

JammaTal

Tue May 31, 2016 10:06 pm

i can confirm that defense losses don't bring our PvP score down. i kept taking screenshots for evidence.

the exact amounts of PvP score points which can be won or lost by invasion attacks can be seen in the PvP "choose your opponent" screen.
typically this is:
+10 for a win / -10 for a loss vs the leftmost opponent
+18 / -8 vs the middle
+26 (can be up to +41!) / -9 vs the strongest

so grinding only the weakest opponents may be easier but will need 3X (or more) as many victories to climb up in PvP ranks.

i am glad to say that a loss of PvP score points for lost invasion battles can't be avoided (any longer?). neither "retreat" nor closing the app avoid to lose the points. that's a good thing and long overdue.
you can look it up in the battle log.

grinding XPs is quite another piece of cake and is as well affected by armor and difficulty setting.
but the rewards for level up become fewer the more progress you make. from level 500 (+1 magic) to level 1000 (+1 attack) is a long way with no rewards in between.
so imho not so important. you get some "fame" and make some progress on the guild roster, but that's it.
Last edited by JammaTal on Tue May 31, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Mobile Games”