biffpow

Re: Gems of War Guild thread continued

Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:03 pm

Jamma Tal, it is amazing to see some of these teams you're going up against and the screenshots from the actual matches. Congrats to you on the awesome victories and thanks for sharing!

I play LOT more casually than you, but your experience and advice has definitely helped me construct some effective teams and decide how to spend my traitstones and which minions to level. Your posts are very educational!

JammaTal

Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:51 pm

thank you very much, biffpow!
it's fun to share some special moments with all of you, and to try to find new insights.
it's really not about bragging rights :)

we will never be able to compare the "true" weakness and strength of different teams, because the AI simply is not able to handle the best defense teams.
but it's good to know what teams can beat even the strongest and mightiest teams.

if you like it it will be my pleasure going on to cast a spotlight on interesting fights.

in the moment i'm very interested in True Damage teams and concepts.
i think Holsten Knight has a good True Damage team at work, and i guess it could be a great concept for a strong defense.

but it must be a good concept. some kind of mana engine must be at work.
i have run into many True Damage teams which only enlisted a bunch of 4 True Damage dealers.
results were underwhelming.
Last edited by JammaTal on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JammaTal

Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:19 pm

i wish Emos would still be present on this thread.
he could tell us more about his experiences in his new Rainmakers top guild. what teams, what defenses in use there "on the top"?
and how good does that "double Jarl with Moloch" team score in defense?

his posts were always a great inspiration and source of new ideas for me.
his proposed "soul harvest" team (Abhorath, Valkyrie, Green Slime, Keeper of Souls) in fact the "grandfather" of all later Valkyrie teams.

Emos, tired of top guild stress? ;)
come back to us!

Emos

Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:56 pm

Hey Now!

Glad to see that the ol' PT GoW thread has been resurrected and that the Giuld is still going strong!
@JammaTal heh glad to see that you ran into my team! That one was put together mainly on a lark while I'm leveling the Priest class to get its 250 wins. It seems to be doing OK, it wins about 20% of the time which is about the most you can hope for in high level play in the current meta. I just had to learn to accept that even evil or super annoying defense teams will get steam-rolled past a certain level. Not sure how often it shows up in the early to mid levels but Great Maw*** can be a terror to deal with, I only feel confident going against a Maw/Mercy team in a mirror match and even then a bad RNG can wreck you. Fortunately I think people are getting bored with it and are switching to more variety, myself included.

As for invades, my primary go-to teams are True Damage setups and Twin Queen Mabs. Elsa is probably the most powerful legendary in the game right now, especially fully traited. The combo of multiple freezes and a devastating AoE spell just tears through 98% of the matches I face. I really expect her to get nerfed soon, along with Great Maws hunger trait. That said, Doublemint Elsa ;) is my soul farming team right now:

Gorgotha*** or Soothsayer***
Queen Mab***
Valkyrie***
Queen Mab***

I find Granite Gorg to be the safer choice, whereas Empowered Sooth can really get the AoE ball rolling. The third trait on Mab is super nice but not essential. I also run a couple of True Damage teams on the side, usually against other TD teams like dhjl or people with very high stats. Crimson Bat is the VIP of these setups and I mix in troops like Psion, Marilith, Moloch or Crescendo. For examples:

Gorgotha***
Psion***
Crimson Bat***
Marilith***

Gorgotha***
Crimson Bat***
Valkyrie***
Crescendo (hero varies)

Gorgotha***
Psion***
Crescendo
Moloch***

Yes I have Gorgotha*** tanking in almost all of my invades, it's simply too easy to exploit the AI and soak up skull dmg whilst you charge up the rest of your troops. Just have to be careful of defenses with negative skull hit legendary traits like Hungry Maw, Lethal Archer, Siphoning Psions and the the like. Psion is a really good troop now, his mana drain comes in very handy in this magic heavy meta, plus you really only need to have the first trait (Magic Link) to be really nasty. Same with Crimson Bat, he's effective with no traits and Marilith just needs Fire Link. Moloch is a beast with Supression though!
I use Archer or Sorcerer when I use Crescendo, Sorc is probably the better choice at first since you get Magic Link as the first trait. That said, Archer with Fast is really, really effective once you unlock that. Hope some of this helps!

BTW, it looks like the event next week is Khetar and one of the Glory Troops will be featuring the Arcane Mountain (yellow/brown) traitstones. If you haven't gotten Gorgotha or Great Maw fully traited this is an excellent opportunity to do so!

JammaTal

Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:49 am

so nice to have you back on the thread, Emos!
great insights.
agreed on all ideas and concepts.
Queen Mab and Great Maw must be nerfed.

what do you think about the Leaderboard competition? can it be for real? the top ranked having incredible high numbers of attacks registered. are they using bots? what do you think?
doing the maths they would need to play 8-10 hours continously each day to get so many attacks done.
what was the highest ranking you could achieve so far?

thx for the info on upcoming event! so i could hold back a 1000 glory investment into 50 chests.
Great Maw and Gorgotha need heavy Arcane Mountain treatments.
Gorgotha best tank and mana generator creature itm.
for my attack teams a Mythic Coronet is the better choice, but for the featured TD teams Gorgotha is the perfect fit.

Emos

Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:29 am

Yeah the Leaderboard is absolutely insane! I put in about about an hour, occasionally two a night on this dumb game (which I think is way too much) and I can't even break the 10,000 mark! Sometimes I'm a bit suspicious of the highest scores, especially the ones with over a thousand wins and 1-200 losses...I mean who is that prolific playing but so terrible at it? For the record I'm currently 114-0 this week and 650-4 cumulative, not being a braggart but the AI is pretty dumb, especially if you choose your invade teams wisely.

On one hand it's a bit depressing that I would have to make GoW a full time job to even get a chance of breaking into the leaderboard, I thought I played this too much but I guess I'm seriously mistaken. On the other hand I'm happy that there are so many people playing GoW and putting in a lot of time doing so, bodes well for its future.

Forgot to mention, Mist Stalker is a fine addition to a true damage team also, encountered a few of them in PvP since they got buffed and they're pretty scary now. Also try to get your Kingdom Power to 5 stars on the magic stat kingdoms, it's really worth it. I was able to max out Zul' Kari and Karakoth because they have 9-10 troops to make leveling easier. I realize this is more of a late game long term project though...

geigerm

Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:40 am

I think the time investment on any leaderboard like this one is ridiculous if you want to be near the top. When I was into Magic Duels and they introduced the Battle Mode, I put a few hours a day into attempting to win one of those events, coming up just short and finishing 2nd. I deleted the game a couple of days later--I don't have that kind of time and honestly didn't enjoy the grind.

I'm glad GoW still has rewards at each rank, or it would get the same treatment from me. Can't imagine how people have the time to play that much.

robthomasson

Defence Team Strength

Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:17 pm

The dhjl team that JammaTal showed us earlier in the thread was strength 8493.

That is distinctly more than the highest I remember facing which was strength 7920 based on ...

Great Maw ***
Mercy ***
Sheggra ***
Infernal King ***

I may have been lucky but I seemed to win quite easily. The teams that have Queen Mab issuing freezes over me are tougher - and require no AI thinking over and above the basic "take a 5 or 4 match when available".

JammaTal

Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:27 am

exactly! creatures with that kind of trait are a good choice for defense teams, and can get really nasty when attacking them.

i'm thinking on Moloch (enemies lose one skill point on 4 or 5 gem matches), Jarl (burn an enemy on 4 or 5 gem matches) and Celestasia (gain a barrier on 4 or 5).
i remember a match vs Celestasia as tank in which she seemed to be "ever and always" shielded by barrier.
perfect fits for the AI, as Rob said.

Emos

Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:34 pm

Yeah it's fun putting together teams have provide attributes on 4-5 matches or skull hits. Empowered troops can be annoying on defense too.

Troops with Legendary traits that have the 4-5 match abilities (in order of what I think is most effective):
Queen Mab
Moloch
Celestasia
Venoxia
Behemoth

Troops with a Legendary negative status effect ability on skull damage (in order of nastiness IMHO):
Great Maw
Bone Dragon
Hero Archer
Psion
Silent One

Return to “Mobile Games”