TommyBs

Strategy Game Maps

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:28 pm

Hi all,

My first post here, been reading for a while as a lurker but decided to take the plunge and create an account and ask a question!

I'm currently in the process of building my first Strategy Game for iOS. I've always been a huge fan of the strategy genre and after building other types of games I wanted to focus on my favourite style.

My game is a turned based strategy game and I've got most of the logic built, the AI just needs a bit of refining. Other than that I'm just in the process of creating some content for it such as maps and the thought occurred to me about what would really make a great map for turn based strategy game. So I thought I would ask here and see what people's opinions are. Now in my game there's no 'resources' as such. The number of countries you control determines how many armies you have (it's quite simple in that regard) so bear that in mind. Each 'player' also always starts in random locations with multiple countries (the board is fully owned in that regard). For what it's worth the maps are designed 'upfront' as well not dynamically at run time so I have full control over their creation.

Some first thoughts of mine were:
  • 'groups' of countries with only 1 or 2 entry points to create choke points
  • other larger areas that will be hotly contested
  • randomising armies to start with so people focus on key area first
  • Visually adding little easter eggs and details on the maps to appeal
If anyone has any other thoughts based on the game mechanics I described above it would be great to hear them!

Thanks for having me!

EICJoe

Re: Strategy Game Maps

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:20 am

I think looking at various iterations of the RISK board would serve you well here - really you should have a combination of several factors - choke points in key areas, but also larger zones where you want people to fight over.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Return to “Games Development”