admin
Site Admin

Human Resource Machine is the puzzle game you should be playing right now

Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:23 pm

Last week I posted about One Hundred Ways (now available on the App Store and Google Play, by the way) and reflected, very briefly, on puzzle games that began life on PC...

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/human ... right-now/

SpiceTheCat

Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:21 pm

Hah, don't be fooled by the cartoon trappings. This is precisely as complex as TIS100-P. It doesn't have the range of jump commands and the kind-of parallelism of TIS, but it does have what amounts to RAM, in the form of floor tiles, addressable with pointers, instead of the single swappable register. The instruction set is sufficiently different that even though some of the challenges are familiar, the solutions aren't. I'm as hooked on this as I was on TIS, especially with the optimisation targets for each level.

The annoying unskippable cutscenes are a minus, but it's good to put the iPad down, focus on distant objects and interact with the world occasionally.

Thufir

Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:51 pm

I strongly disagree that this game is good. Simple loop or 'if' commands are necessary, we are doomed for unreadable spaghetti of a code in other case. I loved 'Word of Goo', and really expected something more from this game.

halfvoid

Re: Human Resource Machine is the puzzle game you should be playing right now

Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:10 am

Loved this when it came out on steam, and obsessively worked my way towards 100%. I don't wanna go back down that rabbit hole again.

CTD

Re: Human Resource Machine is the puzzle game you should be playing right now

Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:43 pm

Perhaps we should be playing Lost Frontier - a new turn based combat game. Seems heavily influenced by Advance Wars, which is no bad thing.

http://www.mikamobile.com/lost-frontier/

I haven't tried this yet, and Warbits (a similar title) lies idle on my iPad as I continue to be engrossed in Pathfinder Adventures!

Buggy

Re:

Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:03 pm

Hah, don't be fooled by the cartoon trappings. This is precisely as complex as TIS100-P. It doesn't have the range of jump commands and the kind-of parallelism of TIS, but it does have what amounts to RAM, in the form of floor tiles, addressable with pointers, instead of the single swappable register.
No parallelism (so far?) makes it way more simple than TIS. Which is not necessarily a bad thing as I finally gave up TIS for the exact opposite reason. It really scratches the same itch - I'm a sucker for casual algorithm engineering - in a less depressingly complex way.
The instruction set is sufficiently different that even though some of the challenges are familiar, the solutions aren't. I'm as hooked on this as I was on TIS, especially with the optimisation targets for each level.
The optimisation targets are a nice incentive. However, I don't get why I sometimes struggle with tedious optimisations to bearly fit within the limits while other stages see me beat both scores by a wide margin on my first try.

On the downside, the game turns a bit ugly when you start intertwining jumps but it is (still?) manageable. It missed a more fine-grained copy-paste though.
The annoying unskippable cutscenes are a minus, but it's good to put the iPad down, focus on distant objects and interact with the world occasionally.
Huhuhu. Same here.

SpiceTheCat

Re: Re:

Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:29 pm

Hah, don't be fooled by the cartoon trappings. This is precisely as complex as TIS100-P. It doesn't have the range of jump commands and the kind-of parallelism of TIS, but it does have what amounts to RAM, in the form of floor tiles, addressable with pointers, instead of the single swappable register.
No parallelism (so far?) makes it way more simple than TIS. Which is not necessarily a bad thing as I finally gave up TIS for the exact opposite reason. It really scratches the same itch - I'm a sucker for casual algorithm engineering - in a less depressingly complex way.
I don't know, I liked the parallel-ish nature of TIS, as it was an extra thing to think about and allowed some nifty little programs. TIS also gave you JGZ, JNZ and JRO operators, which would make some of the problems in HRM much easier. Admittedly TIS did quite often come down to thinking of ways to use JRO, in an if-you-have-a-hammer-every-problem-lools-like-a-nail way.
The instruction set is sufficiently different that even though some of the challenges are familiar, the solutions aren't. I'm as hooked on this as I was on TIS, especially with the optimisation targets for each level.
The optimisation targets are a nice incentive. However, I don't get why I sometimes struggle with tedious optimisations to bearly fit within the limits while other stages see me beat both scores by a wide margin on my first try.

On the downside, the game turns a bit ugly when you start intertwining jumps but it is (still?) manageable. It missed a more fine-grained copy-paste though.
Yep. Some the higher level problems do look totally like spaghetti code when the jumps get out of hand. Absolutely yes to fine-grained copy-paste, especially when you're using the unroll-loop trick for speed optimisations. I agree that sometimes I hit both targets with no problem first go, and other times have to struggle to work out where that one redundant instruction is.

It's very satisfying though when everything clicks. At the moment I'm especially pleased with solving the prime factorization puzzle by building a look-up table first, something you just couldn't do in TIS ... hm, unless you had a stack...
the Starveling Cat! the Starveling Cat! look what it did! to your nice new hat!

Neo42

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 pm

Speaking of puzzles and "programming", Bad Piggies is actually really addictive. Sure the angry birds guys made it but when it comes down to it you're building machines. Worth checking out if you don't know about it. It's been out a long time now in iOS terms.

In the more complex levels you may find yourself building a two stage machine. First stage you're flying everything to somewhere. Then you cut your rope or break your box and ditch the first stage of your machine so you can run a buggy with wheels on all sides through inverting twisting tunnels.

2d physics awesomeness. I usually have to put it away for a while lest I play it too much.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”