admin
Site Admin

Twilight Struggle for iOS updated already

Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:02 pm

Here in Pocket Tactics Orbital HQ, there has been much Twilight Struggling of late. It's one of the games which unites us with our Wargamer brethren, and, you know, it's...

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/it-a/

acedout

Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:32 pm

Just in time for an imminent well written PT review me hopes ;)

rinelk

Re:

Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:43 pm

Well, this is one review with which I want to take my time. TS depends so heavily on knowledge of the possible events that I don't want to rush it. But this game is going into the Pocket Tactics canon--its launch is such a big deal that I almost wanted to hold off all coverage of it so that our new editor could start off with a bang, but the timing wasn't quite tight enough for me to be able to remain silent on it long enough. It's Playdek, certainly one of our top five favorite developers, developing a game which is probably the Pocket Tacticest game in boardgame history. Here's what Owen had to say of it, back in January of 2015:
I enjoying taking up contrary positions for the sheer sport of it (ask me why The Happening is a great film one of these days) but in the case of Twilight Struggle, I can only agree with the critical consensus: this is the best board game on Earth. Playdek can't possibly finish it fast enough. Except me to take a week's vacation when this thing launches. You'll know where to find me if you really need me.

SleepingGiant

Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:54 pm

Wait, what? New editor? What happened to Dave? I love Dave! Is he ok?

TokyoDan

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:02 pm

Has anyone played both the PC and the iPad versions? How does the iPad version compare in touch play against mouse/keyboard play? The PC version in about a dollar cheaper on Dteam right now.

TokyoDan

Re: Twilight Struggle for iOS updated already

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:32 pm

Is there a 'back' button in the tutorial. I had the PC version (Steam) of the game but got a refund because the game has very complicated rules and while trying to learn it via the tutorial there was no 'back' button to go back in order to repeat the last screen tutorial text. So if I missed something or wanted to reread someting I had to start the tutorial from the very beginning. What a pain.

biffpow

Re:

Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:55 pm

Dave resigned a couple weeks ago. Or quit. He posted a goodbye message, but it was promptly taken down by the owners of the site. So no one really knows what the story is. There is a new EIC beginning after July 4. No one has released his name or if he is even human. Robotic EIC's are totally a thing, as any and all of the gawker sites prove on a daily basis.

acedout

Re: Re:

Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:52 am

Well, this is one review with which I want to take my time. TS depends so heavily on knowledge of the possible events that I don't want to rush it. But this game is going into the Pocket Tactics canon--its launch is such a big deal that I almost wanted to hold off all coverage of it so that our new editor could start off with a bang, but the timing wasn't quite tight enough for me to be able to remain silent on it long enough. It's Playdek, certainly one of our top five favorite developers, developing a game which is probably the Pocket Tacticest game in boardgame history. Here's what Owen had to say of it, back in January of 2015:
I enjoying taking up contrary positions for the sheer sport of it (ask me why The Happening is a great film one of these days) but in the case of Twilight Struggle, I can only agree with the critical consensus: this is the best board game on Earth. Playdek can't possibly finish it fast enough. Except me to take a week's vacation when this thing launches. You'll know where to find me if you really need me.
Can't wait! New Editor? I sensed change in the air...

rinelk

Re: Re:

Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:42 am

Can't wait! New Editor? I sensed change in the air...
Uh, sorry--that was me. I'll light a match.

rinelk

Re:

Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:56 am

Dave is okay, he's just parted ways with Pocket Tactics. He's still posting in the iOS Board Games blog at BGG, though, so you can get your Neumann fix from time to time. I'm quite fond of him, too, and think he's charting a course in which he'll thrive. I don't think I know of a way to say more without disrespecting privacy, but I'm very hopeful for him.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”