rinelk

Re:

Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:10 am

I can't even edit my previous post on this damn thing. That extra t will have to linger, but then I'm not paid for good grammar.
I can. I think this is the first time I've used the ability to edit someone else's posts, but in this case, I thought you might appreciate it.

Dripgrind

Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:25 am

My bet is that Dripgrind may be keeping his identity secret for good reason.
To avoid getting anyone in trouble, I should make clear that I'm not a games journalist, just a disappointed reader. I didn't even know about the Slitherine sale, so I'm not an insider of any kind.

largevisiblemachine

Re:

Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:29 am

To avoid getting anyone in trouble, I should make clear that I'm not a games journalist, just a disappointed reader. I didn't even know about the Slitherine sale, so I'm not an insider of any kind.
Do you do puns though?

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/we-ne ... r-writers/

NiihamaGhosts

Re: (Eon) Altar of Discovery

Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:25 am

I'm not going to lie guys; this stuff isn't my strongest skill.

I know, I know - "Editor-in-Chief". I like to think I was hired for my creative vision, management skills, and my mad hair game (jokes. I have no hair), as opposed to my technical writing prowess. Although I can write - it's just the details that sometimes trip me up when it comes to my own writing.

You have every right to be disappointed by this though - I will do better.
Hi, Joe, longtime Pocket Tactics reader here. I was also a (non-game industry) reporter and editor for about 30 years and now do PR. I write for a living, in other words, and (for better or worse) judge people based on their writing.

Sigh. That was a horrible first post. I have interns in my office who could have done better, at least grammatically. Did you have anyone proof your work before posting? Do you know that Microsoft Word's built-in grammar checker can flag misuse of there/their? It can even catch your dangling present participles.

No one is perfect. My house is glass. I have never written a story or press release that did not have errors. But I triple-check my work and then have others take a look. Did you have others check your piece before posting?

But dripgrind's post here points to the larger issues: your article tells us nothing about the game, takes the developer's point of view, and generally sounds like a press release. Which leads me to wonder: is this your "creative vision"?

What made Pocket Tactics special was brilliance of its writing. First Owen, then Dave. As a writer, I appreciated and admired their work. I did not expect a new EIC to meet those levels. I did expect the new EIC to meet the basic standards of journalism (grammar, know your audience, know the name of your publication). For your first article, you failed miserably.

Now I'll step down from my soap box and hope for the best.

iBaLkiD

Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:54 pm

Woah, put the pitch forks away.

For those that did not know the site was sold to Slitherine, it was announced multiple times by Owen, and discussed multiple times by staffers and writers. We had a lengthy transition period where pocket tactics was pulled into this new fold of websites. Im not sure what rights people have to make assumptions and then spread vitriol based on those assumptions. No, its the internet! A place of zero accountability, so people are quick with their judgments and ire.

Im going to make an assumption and say that the people who are in the dark about the transition and new ownership must not have visited pocket tactics that much prior to the transition, during the transition, or after. This all took forever to go down (i think just over a year) and was done so with the utmost transparency. Not sure why people are getting all up in arms. You just missed the boat. How can you get so mad or upset or act so surprised when you have such a minimal point of reference? Its been out in the open all along and the old forums pre and post purchase is full of conversations between staff and the community in regards to challenges, transitions, and future plans for the site.

Chill out! Deep breathes all around. No conspiracy of ominous intent here!

As for the first post from the new editor... Yikes!

Blanchot

Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:51 pm

(...) This all took forever to go down (i think just over a year) and was done so with the utmost transparency. Not sure why people are getting all up in arms. You just missed the boat. How can you get so mad or upset or act so surprised when you have such a minimal point of reference? Its been out in the open all along and the old forums pre and post purchase is full of conversations between staff and the community in regards to challenges, transitions, and future plans for the site. (...)
With all due respect @iBaLkiD I wouldn't say that the process proceeded with "the utmost transparency." As I recall there was considerable consternation by the PT community with the announcement (a little over six months ago) that PT had been sold to Slitherine. Especially given the transfer was a fait accompli and had been kept secret for quite a few months.

Here is the relevant post (30 December 2015):
http://www.pockettactics.com/news/a-poc ... evelation/

And the ensuing forum firestorm:
http://pockettactics.vanillaforums.com/ ... revelation

iBaLkiD

Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:34 pm

(...) This all took forever to go down (i think just over a year) and was done so with the utmost transparency. Not sure why people are getting all up in arms. You just missed the boat. How can you get so mad or upset or act so surprised when you have such a minimal point of reference? Its been out in the open all along and the old forums pre and post purchase is full of conversations between staff and the community in regards to challenges, transitions, and future plans for the site. (...)
With all due respect @iBaLkiD I wouldn't say that the process proceeded with "the utmost transparency." As I recall there was considerable consternation by the PT community with the announcement (a little over six months ago) that PT had been sold to Slitherine. Especially given the transfer was a fait accompli and had been kept secret for quite a few months.

Here is the relevant post (30 December 2015):
http://www.pockettactics.com/news/a-poc ... evelation/

And the ensuing forum firestorm:
http://pockettactics.vanillaforums.com/ ... revelation
My point is people are acting as if the rug was pulled out from under them. Your thread links just prove my point. Its was a big discussion point in the community. I would call that seriously transparent as opposed to just visiting one day and all the changes take place with no warning. The post from December wasnt even Owens first announcement. Im still of the opinion that PT and staff have been very transparent with all of this business.

People were responding as if they just discovered an epic conspiracy when the transition has been out in the open forever. What does consternation have to do with transparency? Two totally different talking points.

I find it sad that there is little left of the magic that made PT such a great place initially but i suppose thats besides the point.

SunnyDays

Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:53 pm

... Its been out in the open all along and the old forums pre and post purchase is full of conversations between staff and the community in regards to challenges, transitions, and future plans for the site.
Not so much out in the open if a lot of your readers still don't know about it. And the FTC addresses this point nicely:

"Under the law, an act or practice is deceptive if it misleads ???a significant minority??? of consumers. Even if some readers are aware of these deals, many readers aren???t."

I believe Pocket Tactics/Wargammer/Slitherine are UK based, and as such may not be beholden to the FTC. However, this should illustrate the point that a defense of "people knew" isn't an argument that works very well.

In the About section of PT it does now mention the Slitherine connection. This section also indicates a review policy is "coming soon" (with no mention of a date as to when this was posted or what soon means) for those that are concerned about undue influence. Perhaps this needs to be addressed better?

Pocket Tactics, imo, needs a way of making this relationship better known. The more recent Slitherine posts do mention the relationship, but do reviews of competing products also alert the reader that a competitor owns this site?

Lawyers may say the About Us section and notes on Slitherine posts fulfill the letter of the law, but as comments from readers here indicate, this may not be enough. Perhaps's Slitherine's logo or name needs to appear in the Pocket Tactics branding? Or is there fear doing so would harm readership by raising the question of favoritism (explicit or just because of good will)?

Blanchot

Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:04 pm

@ iBaLkiD

Ach... I don't want to argue with you (though I do wonder if you actually went back and refreshed your memory concerning Dave's end of the year announcement concerning "Owen's" outright misrepresentation of the facts).

I believe the relevant point made by @DRIPGRIND at the start of this thread is that there is a profound difference between an independent review and a press release; and the difference is one of trust.

Given this age of ubiquitous corporate and political spin it is understandable that people get angry and upset when they feel their trust has been misled—even on a game review site.

And yes, I agree with you that the entire situation is sad.

EICJoe

Re:

Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:08 pm

In the About section of PT it does now mention the Slitherine connection. This section also indicates a review policy is "coming soon" (with no mention of a date as to when this was posted or what soon means) for those that are concerned about undue influence. Perhaps this needs to be addressed better?
Those revised 'About Us' sections were posted today. I'm hoping to have the Reviews Policy up tomorrow, there were just a couple of things I wanted to check over with the writers about. I state the relationship between us and Slitherine in my introduction over in 'Announcements', so I hope that demonstrates that I plan to be as transparent as I can going forward.

If you have any concerns or questions regarding any of this, you're more than welcome to email me directly: joer [at] wargamer [dot] com
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”