geigerm

Re: (Eon) Altar of Discovery

Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:24 pm

My point is people are acting as if the rug was pulled out from under them. Your thread links just prove my point. Its was a big discussion point in the community. I would call that seriously transparent as opposed to just visiting one day and all the changes take place with no warning. The post from December wasnt even Owens first announcement. Im still of the opinion that PT and staff have been very transparent with all of this business.

People were responding as if they just discovered an epic conspiracy when the transition has been out in the open forever. What does consternation have to do with transparency? Two totally different talking points.

I find it sad that there is little left of the magic that made PT such a great place initially but i suppose thats besides the point.
I agree that it's a little late to act as if the rug was pulled out from under people--the Slitherine news has been out in the open for over 6 months now. However, to beat a dead horse, Owen was absolutely not transparent with us--he told us he was buying the Wargamer, not selling PT to Slitherine. Dave broke that news to us in the 12/30 post--IIRC, Owen had effectively abandoned the site at that point. I don't begrudge the guy the right to move on (and I should move on from being irritated with him), but I think he could have handled the whole thing better.

We can argue about who's been transparent and how transparent they've been for days (or months, as the forum activity has proven). Your last point really is the most important one--the magic here is largely gone. I hope we can get it back, and I suspect the atmospheric shift here is the reason for most of the consternation. I know I'm holding out hope that having a new editor will ultimately restore this place to some of its former glory. I don't expect it to be exactly the same, but I'd like to see a thriving community here with a bunch of interesting articles to discuss. This post obviously wasn't a step in the right direction. I hope it's a rare misstep we can all laugh about in a few months.

acedout

Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:44 pm

Woah, put the pitch forks away.

For those that did not know the site was sold to Slitherine, it was announced multiple times by Owen, and discussed multiple times by staffers and writers. We had a lengthy transition period where pocket tactics was pulled into this new fold of websites. Im not sure what rights people have to make assumptions and then spread vitriol based on those assumptions. No, its the internet! A place of zero accountability, so people are quick with their judgments and ire.

Im going to make an assumption and say that the people who are in the dark about the transition and new ownership must not have visited pocket tactics that much prior to the transition, during the transition, or after. This all took forever to go down (i think just over a year) and was done so with the utmost transparency. Not sure why people are getting all up in arms. You just missed the boat. How can you get so mad or upset or act so surprised when you have such a minimal point of reference? Its been out in the open all along and the old forums pre and post purchase is full of conversations between staff and the community in regards to challenges, transitions, and future plans for the site.

Chill out! Deep breathes all around. No conspiracy of ominous intent here!

As for the first post from the new editor... Yikes!
That's true for me. I only discovered PT in the last year (sadly). They need to change the T&C, because the company listed in there is currently listed as dormant on Companies House.

acedout

Re: Re:

Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:47 pm

In the About section of PT it does now mention the Slitherine connection. This section also indicates a review policy is "coming soon" (with no mention of a date as to when this was posted or what soon means) for those that are concerned about undue influence. Perhaps this needs to be addressed better?
Those revised 'About Us' sections were posted today. I'm hoping to have the Reviews Policy up tomorrow, there were just a couple of things I wanted to check over with the writers about. I state the relationship between us and Slitherine in my introduction over in 'Announcements', so I hope that demonstrates that I plan to be as transparent as I can going forward.

If you have any concerns or questions regarding any of this, you're more than welcome to email me directly: joer [at] wargamer [dot] com
I checked early this morning and there was no mention of Slithering.

iBaLkiD

Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:54 pm

@ iBaLkiD

Ach... I don't want to argue with you (though I do wonder if you actually went back and refreshed your memory concerning Dave's end of the year announcement concerning "Owen's" outright misrepresentation of the facts).

I believe the relevant point made by @DRIPGRIND at the start of this thread is that there is a profound difference between an independent review and a press release; and the difference is one of trust....
No need for debate. We are having two different conversations. I cant speak for the particulars in regards to what was promised, all i was saying was that the plans for PT were out there in the wild for a long time and we were aware as a community. Thats why i was a little surprised at some of the reactions. Any particulars past that point and its instantly out of my wheelhouse as i have minimal point of reference, it seems, as Geigerm points out, that there are legitimate gripes in regards to promises etc...

Joram

Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:04 pm

Duplicitous nature of Slitherine aside, it's no less duplicitous to attack Joe when there clearly is an ulterior motive here beyond attacking his credentials.

After all, who really comes to a site like this for anything beyond knowing what game to consider next for their iPad.

The site has faltered on this point for sure but the content of that post makes the poster look like an unmitigated ass.

Joe, wish you the best of luck though you should do whatever you can to make it clear who are the owners of the site, particularly when reviewing Slitherine games as typos aside, you will not be taken seriously until that is fixed.

biffpow

Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:33 pm

Duplicitous nature of Slitherine aside, it's no less duplicitous to attack Joe when there clearly is an ulterior motive here beyond attacking his credentials.

After all, who really comes to a site like this for anything beyond knowing what game to consider next for their iPad.

The site has faltered on this point for sure but the content of that post makes the poster look like an unmitigated ass.

Joe, wish you the best of luck though you should do whatever you can to make it clear who are the owners of the site, particularly when reviewing Slitherine games as typos aside, you will not be taken seriously until that is fixed.
I'm not sure what "ulterior motive" is being referenced here. I'm also not sure which post/unmitigated ass is being called out either.

I -am- sure that the issues being noted about the writing in the original version of this post by Joe are not about "typos", as numerous commenters have made clear. Moreover, calling them typos disrespects the level of work the other writers on this site put into their posts, with real writing and editing. And Joe's description of his skill set and referencing of that type of editorial work as "the details" that "trip him up" makes me question what exactly the job description for EiC of this site looks like.

In search of an answer, I looked on Slitherine's linkedin page, which shows a history of the jobs they've posted. This job was never posted.

https://www.linkedin.com/company/slithe ... uk-limited

I could find no mention of this job on any site, in fact, leading me to believe that the job was never posted. Given the abrupt nature of Dave's departure, I can understand that Slitherine may have wanted to just go out and get someone to fill the job.

But was there a job description? Was there an applicant pool? And were any of the talented writers here or at Wargamer asked about taking the job?

Joe, I appreciate the situation you've found yourself in, and I appreciate your honesty about things thus far. I hope you hire someone who can edit to oversee that aspect of the site's functions if it's just not part of your skill set. No shame in that.

Neumannium

Re:

Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:36 pm

My bet is that Dripgrind may be keeping his identity secret for good reason. ;)
Not sure if you're implying it, but Dripgrind isn't me. I've talked with Joe and he's a great guy and I wish him and PT nothing but the best going forward.

Sit back, relax, and let the guy get his bearings before we throw him on the rack.

geigerm

Re: Re:

Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:48 am

Not sure if you're implying it, but Dripgrind isn't me. I've talked with Joe and he's a great guy and I wish him and PT nothing but the best going forward.

Sit back, relax, and let the guy get his bearings before we throw him on the rack.
Well, as long as we'll get the chance to throw him on the rack eventually ...

On a more serious note, Dave, it's good to see you checking in. Hope all's going well for you. Regardless of whether the site rebounds, we'll miss your writing, so hopefully you'll at least be a semi-regular forum presence.

Narkulus

Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:25 am

Well, are we just going to leave him on the rack? Is nobody willing to take him down?

EICJoe

Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:52 am

Well, are we just going to leave him on the rack? Is nobody willing to take him down?
Not to worry, I'm quite relaxed here. Don't mind me.

I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread down - I think we're just beating a dead horse at this point. Your concerns have been heard loud and clear!

You're also more than welcome to pick up this conversation in another sub-forum, or my introductory post in 'Announcements' for anything relating to me and my role here.

If you have any other questions about any of the issues discussed in this thread, please don't hesitate to either PM me here or email me - joer [at] wargamer [dot] com

My door's always open for you guys.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”