Blanchot

Re: Twilight Struggle

Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:17 am

Thanks for another fine review Kelsey!
Seven years ago, my friend Mike and I set aside a month to learn two two-player games, and for seven years I have wished we had enough time for a third, because Twilight Struggle was both of our second choices.
Even though curiosity killed the cat I can't help but ask!

So what were your first choices?

rinelk

Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:37 pm

Thanks for another fine review Kelsey!
Seven years ago, my friend Mike and I set aside a month to learn two two-player games, and for seven years I have wished we had enough time for a third, because Twilight Struggle was both of our second choices.
Even though curiosity killed the cat I can't help but ask!

So what were your first choices?
His was War of the Ring, a fine choice. I'd long been fascinated by Columbia's block wargames, and chose the one with my favorite theme from among them, Crusader Rex. I quite enjoyed it, and still love the tactile experience of those big, wooden blocks, so I can't regret choosing it. I even custom made a variant board by hand (before repurposing the wood as part of a tabletop)--I think I have photos in my BGG gallery. But Twilight Struggle is the better game, without question.

Js619

Re: Review: Twilight Struggle

Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:07 pm

I'm really hoping now that TS has been so well received that GMT / Playdek will bring Labyrinth to iOS... I'd give a vital organ to see that happen...

Rodrigo Istalindir

Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:58 pm

Now give me an Android version....

gibstu

Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:16 am

Did anyone else back the kickstarter for this? I did and am still sat here waiting in vain for my download code for IOS. Immensely frustrating to see it released and a wall of silence coming from GMT/Playdek as to why there is a delay in getting the game to IOS backers...

Js619

Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:53 pm

Did anyone else back the kickstarter for this? I did and am still sat here waiting in vain for my download code for IOS. Immensely frustrating to see it released and a wall of silence coming from GMT/Playdek as to why there is a delay in getting the game to IOS backers...
I'd give GMT a call or email - I backed the KS and received my code about a week and half ago or so? Think I got it the Sunday after the game went live on the App Store. I'm in the US though, IIRC they said something about it taking time to release to other countries?

rinelk

Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:06 pm

I'd give GMT a call or email - I backed the KS and received my code about a week and half ago or so? Think I got it the Sunday after the game went live on the App Store. I'm in the US though, IIRC they said something about it taking time to release to other countries?
Yeah, codes on iOS are always a problem. I just bought the game to review it, rather than even bothering to try to get a review code out of Playdek, because I suspect that they're already struggling with Apple to get codes (plus, I was pretty sure I'd like the game enough to want to support them). My impression is that our own Matt Thrower has been trying to get a code for days, and I think of him as a pretty big deal reviewer in this space. Condolences--on the one hand, you're missing out on a stupendous game, on the other, at least it'll be worth the wait.

geigerm

Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:06 am

On the subject of the Kickstarter: this is bad ...
Good afternoon Backers,

We know how trying the last few weeks has been, as we worked through delivering the iOS version to you guys. We understand any frustration being felt by those of you who are still waiting for an iOS version and we have an update on that process.

Up to this point, and after working through many hurdles with Apple to get a workable solution that would allow us to deliver the game to Backers, we have been able to get the majority of the copies of the game distributed.

Unfortunately, there are more roadblocks that have come up via Apple and the distribution process that will not allow us to continue to send any additional copies of the iOS game to Backers.

First, for a bit of background, Apple does not have a straight forward process that allows and assists developers like us to distribute bulk copies of a game to customers, as opposed to other game platforms. In our research we had anticipated some of the issues that we might encounter and did our best to plan accordingly, including gifting the game, and also looked at enterprise solutions that unfortunately did not apply to us and our distribution needs.

Through coordination with Apple account support, we were able to work through the initial issues and were able to resume the app rollout to Backers, until once again the process was blocked. We cannot afford to have any conflicts with Apple and their iOS platform and sadly have had to elect to halt the process of distributing iOS copies to our Backers.

The majority of Backers have received their copy of the app, in particular the US market, but there remains some international Backers who we will not be able to get iOS copies to. We regret that it has come to this but we have exhausted all available options to get iOS copies out to Backers directly.

<snipped out details on switching platforms/requesting a refund>

In closing, we did all we could to get copies of the iOS version into Backers hands and wish the outcome was different for some of you. Hopefully through this we can find a way for those currently out in the cold to begin to enjoy the game. For those who have already received the game and for those who choose to switch platforms, you will still receive and be able to enjoy the additional digital content to be released, including the Turn Zero expansion, at no additional cost.

Thank you again for your support and patience throughout this process.

Playdek
I'd be pretty irritated with Apple if I was an iOS backer who didn't get my copy because of whatever roadblocks they put in place. I wonder why they don't want to play nicely when it comes to fulfilling Kickstarter pledges.

gibstu

Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:29 am

Yeah I've now received the email from the Kickstarter campaign stating that they cannot give out any more IOS codes and offering backers like myself a refund.

At least I can get my refund and will just purchase it for my iPad this evening. Pretty sad way for the Kickstarter to end though. I don't think I will ever back a Kickstarter for another IOS game as it seems pretty clear that Apple are unable or unwilling to provide a way for app developers to give away copies of their game to large numbers of backers.

It must be costing GMT / Playdek as they are offering full refunds to IOS backers, even though Kickstarter must have already taken their fees out. Hope it doesn't put off GMT from creating other IOS versions of their games in the future.

Anyway looking forward to finally getting to play this later on.

Blanchot

Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:17 pm

But Twilight Struggle is the better game, without question.
It is indeed! TS has been near the centre of my radar for years and years... first as boardgame and then kickstarter... but I've never played it until now and had NO IDEA how truly magnificent the game is.

Wow.

I'll probably buy the cardboard version just out of love and gratitude... but what a sheer marvel it is to be able to play this beautiful thing on an iPad! And Playdek's implementation is surely a Meisterstück of UI? (Even after I'd thought I'd seen all of the interface I'm still discovering cool usability details.)

Man!

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”