admin
Site Admin

Fear of the Dark (Ages): It's Our New Release Post

Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:55 pm

From the endless night of interstellar space to haunted graveyards, and from attacking the darkness to being a light source in literal fear of being snuffed out, there's a lot...

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/its-o ... ease-post/

Js619

Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:07 pm

Any shot of a review of Guild of Dungeoneering? Looks intriguing...

EICJoe

Re:

Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:13 pm

It's coming! Tof is on the case :) a combination of a delayed release date and a lack of observation on my part means I scheduled this review far later than it needed to be, but it'll be coming next week for definite.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Bernardo Soares

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:25 pm

It's great, I love it so far. Still, I'm also looking forward to Tof's review.

Re: Space Hulk
I don't hate it, but I think that there are better games in that specific niche (Deathwatch if you want to stay in the Warhammer 40k Universe, Legions of Steel and especially the great Templar Battleforce if you don't mind slight variations on the theme). Although I think I read somewhere that the devs have improved the game since launch, it wasn't great on PC.

geigerm

Re: Re:

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:27 pm

It's coming! Tof is on the case :) a combination of a delayed release date and a lack of observation on my part means I scheduled this review far later than it needed to be, but it'll be coming next week for definite.
Excellent! I downloaded it yesterday--getting in early is a good idea if the game appeals to you, as the devs are using the Wayward Souls pricing model of increasing the price every time new content is added. The PC version does have one DLC pack that the dev is definitely bringing to mobile.

I've only scratched the surface, but it seems pretty promising. It could use a better tutorial (figuring out where your characters will move isn't entirely intuitive) and reading the text on a phone is a bit painful, but those issues may get addressed down the road.

Bernardo Soares

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:48 pm

My biggest question right now is how progression works, because the game has a mechanic similar to Desktop Dungeons, where leveling up is an important part of every dungeon run, not a permanent thing. So far I'm only seeing dungeons getting harder, and some of the fighters seem utterly useless to me.

Bernardo Soares

Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:53 pm

Wayward Souls pricing model of increasing the price every time new content is added.
I think it's the same publisher, Versus Evil. They seem to experiment a bit with pricing models on mobile.

Js619

Re: Re:

Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:41 pm

Awesome, I'll keep an eye out for it. Looks intriguing, but I have enough to occupy my time till then. Twilight Struggle, BFG: Leviathan, Ascension, Carcassonne, two kids... wait, where'd the kids go???

tofeklund

Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:52 pm

I played Space Hulk on iPad shortly after the iOS release, and I was lukewarm on it. Templar Battleforce is still my favorite game in that genre.

I like games I can play muted, as I often need to be listening for other things - the kids, for starters, I also have two: one, two, three, four... uh, JS619, I think I may have something of yours!

I mention this, because the minstrel in Guild of Dungeoneering is completely optional but also really cool, and you'd never notice his absence if you're playing with the sound off.

More thoughts next week...

Snotty128

Re:

Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:05 pm

Im really enjoying it. Very pleased with this impulse buy.
My biggest question right now is how progression works, because the game has a mechanic similar to Desktop Dungeons, where leveling up is an important part of every dungeon run, not a permanent thing. So far I'm only seeing dungeons getting harder, and some of the fighters seem utterly useless to me.
Ive got a teir 2 hero, and a teir 2 item shop thing. The heros also get a progressive scar bonus the more they survive. Thats 3 types of progression right there.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”