admin
Site Admin

Out Now: Owie Owie Edition

Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:14 pm

Don’t you just hate it when one of your favorite franchises gets a sequel, port, or tie-in and they get it wrong? You can feel my pain this week as...

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/out-n ... e-edition/

mesterjester

Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:57 pm

double check your links on this page, lots of broken links. most of the android ones and some of the apple store ones.

tofeklund

Re:

Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:08 pm

double check your links on this page, lots of broken links. most of the android ones and some of the apple store ones.
Dang, that was a mess. Checked, fixed and tested every link. <facepalm>

Buggy

Re: Out Now: Owie Owie Edition

Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:34 pm

Solitairica is also available on PC/Steam.

You are an adventurer trying to reach the big baddy's lair. On your journey, you encounter unfriendly creatures that you need to beat to progress to the next stage.
Encounters are resolved through a kind of solitaire with easy rules: to win, you need to eliminate all the cards from the board. The board is composed of a number of decks with only the top card visible. You also have a deck from which you draw a card each turn. This card's face value is the first link of a chain. To eliminate a card from the board, its face value must be one more or one less than the previous link. When there is no valid card to add to the chain anymore, your turn is over… and your enemy has the opportunity to attack (randomly draw an action card from yet another deck - to each creature its own).
On this rather simple skeleton grows a meatier substance thanks to the addition of spells. You have four energy pools (red, blue, green and pink) and a handful of spells available for each encounter (red destruction spells, blue protection spells to shield you from attacks, green card-control spells and pink healing spells). To trigger a spell, you need to spend an amount of the corresponding energy. And you collect energy by adding cards to the chain: a blue card gives a blue energy, etc. Thus, it's sometimes better to forge a shorter chain if it allows you to get one more energy from the most needed color.
Between encounters, you have the opportunity to buy new spells. Oh yes, because some cards offer money instead of energy. So when you are lucky and the current encounter feels like a leisure cruise, make sure you chain that gold cards so you can stuff up a little. Very long chains also give bonus gold.
And then, in this English triffle of a game, there is still another layer of custard: if you die (and you will die), you lose everything and start back at the first encounter. Everything? Not exactly. You also gain shards that you can spend to improve your starting stats (hit points, starting energy pools…) and decks (special effects triggered by certain cards…) or to unlock new heroes. Yes, new heroes, with their own base spells and decks…

I'm not sure my description is clear nor very accurate but you get the big picture: a very simple solitaire game with added layers of fun. Not the best card game out there but far from a bad choice for the price.

acedout

Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:59 pm

A warning to those of you on iOS 10 (latest beta as of today) - Space Marshals 2 doesn't get past the splash screen on my iPhone 6S. And looks like the first one doesn't either, which I've just realised now.

halfvoid

Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:12 am

I can also vouch for Solitairica. Just unlocked my 4th class deck. And I believe it even comes with recommendation from the dev of Card Crawl.

acedout

Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:19 am

And loving Dungeon Warfare and I normally don't enjoy tower defence. DW is done brilliantly.

EICJoe

Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:38 pm

A warning to those of you on iOS 10 (latest beta as of today) - Space Marshals 2 doesn't get past the splash screen on my iPhone 6S. And looks like the first one doesn't either, which I've just realised now.
I'm wondering if there's a few compatibility issues still left to sort out. We've had to suspend our review of this because Mark has tried on several devices and just can't get the game working. Shame really.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

acedout

Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:23 pm

I'm wondering if there's a few compatibility issues still left to sort out. We've had to suspend our review of this because Mark has tried on several devices and just can't get the game working. Shame really.
Interesting. I noticed a small bug fix was released shortly after, but it's not made any difference. I did let the spash screen persist for 5 minuets or so and finally managed to get into the game, but there were some serious rendering issues and it was basically unplayable. I hope the get this sorted out soon, but we may have to wait until after iOS10 drops in the next week or two...

acedout

Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:25 pm

Meantime, Solitairica is seriously addictive! It's a very polished game indeed. Some interesting game mechanics, although it's a little grindy - but that may just be because I'm not very good... At least there are no IAP's to-date.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”