NICKVIGDAHL

Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:36 pm

I'd like to throw Pokemon TCG, Earthcore, Card City Nights, and Lost Portal into the mix of games to look at.
Lost Portal had been part of this column in an earlier draft, but got cut due to being covered a couple weeks back. I completely agree and can't recommend it highly enough.

If you like RPGs and/or CCGs (especially Magic) you should go spend the $2 right now. Tons of hours of entertainment, no IAP.

dhgwilliam

Re:

Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:55 pm

I'd like to throw Pokemon TCG, Earthcore, Card City Nights, and Lost Portal into the mix of games to look at.
Lost Portal had been part of this column in an earlier draft, but got cut due to being covered a couple weeks back. I completely agree and can't recommend it highly enough.

If you like RPGs and/or CCGs (especially Magic) you should go spend the $2 right now. Tons of hours of entertainment, no IAP.
Lost Portal is something I am very interested in but I've got no iThing :( I have been quite pleased with Concrete Jungle and Frost both being recent solo deckbuilder releases.

SleepingGiant

Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:15 pm

I like this "By the Numbers" idea, as well as the writing and game recommendations from Nick!

Buggy

Re: CCG Special: By The Numbers

Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:05 pm

It seemed I was just buying the "best" card available at the time, rather than trying to build around synergies. It seemed you could grab a card that could interact with another set of cards, but had no guarantee you would ever be offered that "tribe" again. Was anyone else put off by this, initially?
Buying the "best" card is not that good a strategy. In fact it's a trap you must avoid.
Unlike you, I value this added randomness: you have to adjust your plan and should probably get yourself some offer-manipulation cards in case it turns sour. It's true that some games fail to deliver a fair fight - randomness will eventually screw you good - but I like the fact that every turn is a new dilemma. Should I wait one more turn for my engine to roar or should I change my game and opt for another more accessible tactic? Can I let my opponent get this most wanted card knowing that it will probably clog my deck if I buy it? When should I start to score big VPs - as soon as they are available or whenever I'm ready?

biffpow

Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:43 pm

It seemed you could grab a card that could interact with another set of cards, but had no guarantee you would ever be offered that "tribe" again. Was anyone else put off by this, initially?
I was turned off by this at first (having never played the physical version), but I got past it. As you get more familiar with the cards and what works well with what, you get a feel for the strategic aspects of the game. And there is a lot of opportunity for synergy and getting tribe cards that work together, especially if you can get cards that trash cards from the middle--giving you more chance to get what you want.

As Buggy wrote, you kind of want to avoid the lure of what appears to be the "best" card because it often isn't the best card for the deck you're building. Instead, you can try to quickly trash the best card so that no one gets it : )

Oddly, I really enjoy playing Dominion IRL but rarely ever fire up the app. Whereas I have no interest in playing Ascension IRL but have put many hours into the app. A friend recently gave me the DC Comics Deckbuilding game--it does not have great reviews--has anyone here ever played it? If it's more Ascension than Dominion, I may re-gift it....

marcnelsonjr

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:31 am

DC DBG is definitely in the Ascension family of random market row DBG's.

While it isn't my favorite DBG (that's either Dominion or Nightfall), it's by far the one I play the most. The theme and the graphic design make it so accessible that I've had more success introducing it to people than any other DBG.

I give it the edge over Ascension because of the clear graphic design (although newer editions of Ascension have gotten better at differentiating card types) and the little additions to the Ascension model - a "supervillain" stack of big monsters that also serve as the game timer, PvP attacks and defenses, and variable starting powers (your "superhero").

Give it a shot!

marcnelsonjr

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:41 am

marcnelsonjr wrote:Would you say the problem with Magic Duels is the implementation or is it MTG itself?

Also, thanks for the heads-up on Cards and Castles!
I could do a whole series of articles on this topic alone (I wrote about Magic for five years and frequently rant about their digital offerings). Short answer: both. Magic is tough to transition to a digital game. The stack and priority passing alone is a nightmare. That said, I think Duels is a bland implementation of the game. Wizards new CEO was supposedly brought in with digital and egames in mind, so we'll see what comes of that.
I missed the MTG craze when it hit during my high school years, and only approached it recently after playing tons of deckbuilders and other CCGs/LCGs. The real-life MTG scene turns me off, so I mostly experienced it through those digital implementations. I can't imagine the game would be nearly as successful today if it were a newcomer instead of the legacy platform.

I like to dream that one day, I'll walk into my local store and the MTG crowd will have taken up Netrunner. :)

Neo42

Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:52 pm

I enjoyed the article as well. It is interesting to compare the revenue generated by the different CCGS. I'm going to check out Cards and Castles now, too, thanks!

Don't forget about Faeria, also coming to mobile soon.

Regarding Ascension, I've got a question for the veterans out there. I played a lot of Dominion and was excited when Ascension first appeared. I was initially a little disconcerted by how the common card offerings were replaced by new random cards. In Dominion, you had a set "kingdom" of 10 cards per game, which varied from game to game. I felt like it was harder to create a game plan or strategy when the cards offered were constantly shifting. It seemed I was just buying the "best" card available at the time, rather than trying to build around synergies. It seemed you could grab a card that could interact with another set of cards, but had no guarantee you would ever be offered that "tribe" again. Was anyone else put off by this, initially?

I think its probably a great game, and I've bought all the expansions, but just never really played it enough because of that hang-up. Is there more deep strategy than it first appears to me? Or is it more like drafting the best card available at every turn in the game? Is there enough "synergy" offered during each game?

Thanks!

I love ascension. But it's not a CCG and shouldn't be in this list, except as an honorary mention (if you like this, you should like that). Solforge, however, SHOULD be on this list. Most similar gameplay is Hearthstone and I think Solforge is better.

back to ascension for a minute.
And while there's a lot of luck regarding what's available in the center row each turn, it ends up not mattering all that much to me. Dominion creates an even playing field and everyone has more equal chances at doing the best each game with equal opportunities to the same stacks. I love them both, but for different gameplay feels. Ascension seems to have an interesting infinite possibilities feel to it. Or rather that if you pull together all the right situations you can create KILLER turns. Extreme combos and sometimes practically infinite turns. Until you decide, ok, I can end the game now that I'm a 1000 points ahead.

Also, I barely consider Clash Royale a CCG. Not sure why. Perhaps I think of it more like an RTS or MOBA.

biffpow

Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:06 am

DC DBG is definitely in the Ascension family of random market row DBG's.

While it isn't my favorite DBG (that's either Dominion or Nightfall), it's by far the one I play the most. The theme and the graphic design make it so accessible that I've had more success introducing it to people than any other DBG.

I give it the edge over Ascension because of the clear graphic design (although newer editions of Ascension have gotten better at differentiating card types) and the little additions to the Ascension model - a "supervillain" stack of big monsters that also serve as the game timer, PvP attacks and defenses, and variable starting powers (your "superhero").

Give it a shot!
Ok, you've convinced me : ) I'll try it out next game night. Thanks!

MrGohl

Re: CCG Special: By The Numbers

Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:51 pm

Legendary: A Marvel Deckbuilding game is quite good as well. Great theme, lots of replayability. Co-op or solo play. I haven't tried the DC deckbuilding game yet.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”