d00by

Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:16 pm

Thought to register after reading your very balanced and non-knee jerk review of Clash Royale, a game I thoroughly enjoy.

Reading through the article, it's quite clear that the "CCG" genre has become varied enough to have specific sub-genres come into their own, or at least highlighted.

For example, in no way is Clash Royale comparable to a game like Hearthstone, or Ascension. Its core tactics involve timing, reactions, perception and placement, and the card-draw / bluffing elements only come into the picture at the highest level play where very good players can guess what their opponents have / do not have.

Deck Building Games (DBG) also have become more common place - Star Realms is an excellent game for single player suffering from clunkiness and poor production value for multiplayer.

Then there's the hardcore P2W CCG games like Tyrant Unleashed - shallow gameplay and blatantly P2W yet with F2P content that still keep F2P players on, competing at a lower tier due to a social guild system superior to most games in the genre and an idle-game like ease of play. A similar style game, less polished and streamlined game is Deck Heroes.

And competing with MtG and Hearthstone are "serious" CCGs like Spellweaver, a credible alternative to both.

EICJoe

Re: CCG Special: By The Numbers

Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:08 pm

As an addendum, I was the one who chose to title the article 'CCG Special', which in hindsight wasn't a particularly good choice and slightly inaccurate. Sorry about that!

Glad you guys liked the article though :)
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Mirefox

Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:32 pm

Does anyone remember that Assassin's Creed CCG (Recollections, I think?)? I thought that was a really cool design that was maybe a bit ahead of its time, and rather good looking to boot. It's a shame that it got pulled from the store.

Mirefox

Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:45 pm

My biggest problem with Magic Duels hasn't been in-game bugs or server issues; in fact, I've had a good time playing. My issue issue is that I've got some sort of bug in my card collection where I have 5 of some commons and 2 of some uncommons in the base set and am forever sitting at 99% completion. I can't buy a new pack from the set and updates have never fixed the issue. What really infuriates me, though, is that I've contacted Wizards and even let them know I'd be fine with a complete reset, but all they did was tell me they'd let the developer know and that the developer may or may not respond. Needless to say, they never resolved my issue.

Soxford

Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:27 pm

What is the square grid based game in the top image?

Soxford

Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:27 pm

Sjeng

Re:

Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:52 am

That is Duelyst
https://duelyst.com

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”