Snotty128

Re: Review: Mini Metro

Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:27 pm

Ive been following this game for a long time, Ive still got a very early build on an old laptop. Im overjoyed to see how well this game has worked out from those humble beginnings.

This ios port is such a high quality product that Im amazed at what they've produced. The simple art design is flawless, with the same motifs extending into the menus. The sound design blows me away, how the calm plinking noise of passengers arriving at their destinations turns into layer after layer of discordant notes when your stations are overflowing.

Well done dinosaur polo club. You really hit the ball out of the park here.

Discostallion

Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:11 pm

I think it's worth mentioning that for those of us that use these reviews to inform our purchasing decisions, a lot of weight rests on that fifth star. Just looking at 2016 iPhone games, I've bought 6 of the 11 five star titles, and have 3 more on my wish list. When it comes to the 29 four star games those numbers drop to 1 and 1.

Assuming I'm not alone in my buying habits, that makes a PT review pretty important to any Devs putting out premium games with a focus on strategic play. Personally I believe that most of us that follow PT understand that the type of games we love will allways be more expensive than what is considered the norm in the hyper deflated mobile market. But if price, or more specifically "value" is going to be a review factor, it should not be arbitrarily applied.

Just my 2?? ;D

SackTheJuggler

Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:00 am

Good fun. What seems to work best for me is a central loop line with others feeding in to it. I find I get as much satisfaction from producing an aesthetically pleasing map as from a good score!

EICJoe

Re:

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:20 am

I have to say frankly that this is an incredibly destructive point of view. You are normalizing the attitude that it's OK to reject a game over what is, essentially, pocket change.

As gamers, we love to piss and moan about the terrible F2P games clogging the app stores, and you're going to ding this excellent gem over TWO BUCKS? Two bucks *paid one time*? That's less than the average Candy Crush player spends MONTHLY. When did our standards get so radically out of whack?

Personally, I'd rather buy ten fantastic games at premium prices than waste one iota of my time on a F2P game wondering if they are going to screw me once I'm engaged with it.

There are 20,000 new games dropped into the app store every month. If you're not going to unequivocally boost the signal of great games from small publishers like this, you're doing the community a tremendous disservice.
I make no assumptions over how people value their own money - pocket change to you may be in fact a Very Big Deal(TM) to someone else. It's not mine or Nick's place to tell people how to think about their own money, we can only offer an opinion on how we'd value that money if it were us spending it.

It's worth bearing in mind that there are two separate issues here:

A/ We made a judgement with regards to a game's price at the time of writing.
B/ That judgement directly affected the score said game was given.

In my own reviewing history, I've done plenty of A - a game's price is at the end of the day a choice made by someone as part of the production process of the game and it's just as open to critique as the game itself. Granted, I come from a background of PC (and some console) games so the prices involved are a lot higher, so there's a greater need to justify what's being asked of gamers and their money.

Personally, I've never done B (as far as I remember, anyway) as I treat value judgements and the final score as separate things. This is mainly because prices fluctuate a lot in the typical life-cycle of a game. But that's my thought process - I don't begrudge Nick his own take on the matter and I don't necessarily think he's wrong.

The creators of Mini Metro created a game and stated they would like X much for it. Nick played that game, and decided that in hindsight he wouldn't want to pay that much for it. It's a position he's well within his rights to take, just as it is your right to disagree with him.
Having the blurb on the main site say, "Read Nick's 4 star review" hides that information, though, and might turn off someone who's unwilling to read the whole review, IMO.
Just wanted to thank you specifically for flagging this up - it's worth noting that while Nick wrote the review, the blurb (in fact most of the blurbs) was written by me, so that could go some way to explaining the disconnect there. Please accept my apologies - I will make sure this is better going forward.

These discussions are always worth having :) so thanks for taking the time to talk to us about your own thoughts and views. We do take your feedback seriously. I also don't take it lightly the fact that our opinions here carry a lot of weight, so I must always be mindful of that.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

moggylloyd

Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:56 pm

For what it's worth, I too very much disagree with price being a factor in a review score. It's very brave of developers/publishers to choose the paid-for route these days rather than going down the freemium road (I know Dinosaur Polo Club mulled it over a lot). I hope this decision to punish that with a lower score rather than reward the approach doesn't put others off from releasing quality games at this kind of price point.

With Mini Metro on iOS you're getting a near-identical game to the PC version which offers hours of rewarding gameplay, is very well produced and comes as a full package without any IAP nonsense. ??4 is an entirely reasonable price for it.

Other than this, I'm enjoying Nick's reviewing style and it's good to see Mini Metro getting overall positive coverage.

NICKVIGDAHL

Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:43 pm

I hope this decision to punish that with a lower score rather than reward the approach doesn't put others off from releasing quality games at this kind of price point.
One more comment from me on this topic. 4 stars is hardly a punishment. I gave 4 stars to "Frost" and "Legends of Callasia" and very much enjoy those games.

Also, to be clear, I probably wouldn't have given Mini Metro 5 stars even if it were, say, $3. As I stated in the review, price was the main factor but not the only factor. When I assign a score I think about the reviews policy for this site. To me, Mini Metro is here:

"4 Star = Generally Recommended ??? Apps that are given this rating present themselves well and have some smart ideas. A worthy candidate for your time and/or money."

but not here...

"5 Star = Highly Recommended ??? Apps is a paragon of justice and virtue, and probably saves old ladies and cats in its spare time. Incredibly well presented and/or made, and generally your life will lack any meaning if you don't try this out."

Its a fun, attractive, and well made game and I said as much. Many of you clearly think it deserves five stars and that's a totally valid opinion, it's just not my opinion.

moggylloyd

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:33 pm

I think all things considered, and based on your review score scale, Mini Metro probably is a four-star game overall. Top marks should be reserved only for the very, very best games. I'm a game reviewer myself and have covered many puzzle, sim and strategy games over about 10 years - not once have I ever given a perfect score, because no game has been perfect yet!

My worry over criticising a reasonably priced game's price is it sends out the wrong message. This pricing model should be celebrated, if only for the fact it still exists and not everything has been swallowed up in free-to-play hell ... yet.

geigerm

Re: Re:

Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:41 am

Just wanted to thank you specifically for flagging this up - it's worth noting that while Nick wrote the review, the blurb (in fact most of the blurbs) was written by me, so that could go some way to explaining the disconnect there. Please accept my apologies - I will make sure this is better going forward.
No need to apologize. I'm glad my feedback was helpful!
The creators of Mini Metro created a game and stated they would like X much for it. Nick played that game, and decided that in hindsight he wouldn't want to pay that much for it. It's a position he's well within his rights to take, just as it is your right to disagree with him.
I don't think it's clear from the review that Nick wouldn't want to pay that much, as he says, "While I wouldn't balk at that price myself, I recognize that the game lands smack in the middle of a Venn diagram of my favorite things."
Also, to be clear, I probably wouldn't have given Mini Metro 5 stars even if it were, say, $3. As I stated in the review, price was the main factor but not the only factor.
I think a big part of this discussion is based on us not knowing what the other factors are--price is the only factor to focus on. And those of us who are anti-F2P don't particularly like seeing price mentioned as a negative in any way. You've consistently mentioned price in a lot of your reviews, whether focusing on the value of Concrete Jungle or the steep price of Legends of Callasia, so I think we just need to get used to seeing that information discussed.

NICKVIGDAHL

Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:38 pm

so I think we just need to get used to seeing that information discussed.
No, you don't. Going forward, any reviews I may write for Pocket Tactics will not include price as a consideration.

EICJoe

Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:17 pm

"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”