Buggy

Re: Review: Lost Portal

Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:05 am

Well deserved. Lost Portal is my favorite iPhone game for weeks: my Magic years are far but the itch never quite fades.

Lanster27

Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:52 am

I've tried this a few months ago and just could not get into it. The interface feels cheap and rough. Also the encounters are hard in the beginning that I could not win enough gold before losing it to purchase any new cards, making progression a big issue for me.

Has the developer fixed or improved on these aspects?

alexsem6

Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:24 am

Too bad that there is no Android port available and that developer clearly stated that he does not give a *** about it.

EICJoe

Re:

Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:14 pm

Too bad that there is no Android port available and that developer clearly stated that he does not give a *** about it.
It's a problematic platform for a lot of people, sadly.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Buggy

Re:

Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:45 pm

I've tried this a few months ago and just could not get into it. The interface feels cheap and rough. Also the encounters are hard in the beginning that I could not win enough gold before losing it to purchase any new cards, making progression a big issue for me.

I don't know how the game was "a few months ago" (I got it since the end of August I guess) but there are several difficulty levels that you can chose from. I find the game well balanced, though the beginning and early mid-game may feel tougher than the end-game, when you have enough money to tune your deck and you new abilities help a lot: more mana available from the start means you can cast heavier spells, more hit points means you can survive bad draw, etc.

acedout

Re: Re:

Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:49 pm

I don't know how the game was "a few months ago" (I got it since the end of August I guess) but there are several difficulty levels that you can chose from. I find the game well balanced, though the beginning and early mid-game may feel tougher than the end-game, when you have enough money to tune your deck and you new abilities help a lot: more mana available from the start means you can cast heavier spells, more hit points means you can survive bad draw, etc.
It's absolutely worth giving it a go, especially for the price. There are no IAP's - all the cards are included in the purchase. The difference between V1.0 and the present release is worlds apart. I'm loving the progression and am excited to hear of the developer's focus towards upcoming updates - having to open each card up in full to see its abilities is annoying, but I understand this is being addressed. That said, it doesn't stop LP being a really enjoyable game. Take a few minutes to read the context-linked manual, particularly during combat. The mechanics are pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

My only remaining annoyances are around the closing of cards and pop-ups. Sometimes clicking on a corner works, other times a click outside of the card is required and occasionally (location pop-ups), a top-right X icon yearns your skin's capacitance. With a little more spit & polish, this game will mature into a real gem. As it stands, it's not leaving my home screen any time soon.

Cgareth

Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:33 pm

Second impressions since V1.0 - much improved! Is actually quite good fun!....I've been playing for a few hours today and it's actually pretty good fun.
You should update your review on the app store then! ;)

Like others here, I didn't experience its earlier apparent direness, but I bought it on a whim after reading the review here, and cripes, it's excellent. Like others on here too, I agree it needs - and appears to be getting - "spit and polish", but essentially, I really like the mechanics of the thing. It does remind me of how Solforge used to be (and I used to frickin' love that game) but plonking it into A World of sorts, and making the pickups random, duel rewards random, starting us with tons of cards and 4 or 5 factions to tinker with, gives it a feeling of limitless replayability.... and all this is without the planned in-app expansions?

I'm absolutely hook, line, and sinkered.

acedout

Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:50 pm

Second impressions since V1.0 - much improved! Is actually quite good fun!....I've been playing for a few hours today and it's actually pretty good fun.
I did two days ago. Review as well as updates can take a few days to go public.

acedout

Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:59 pm

I did two days ago. Reviews as well as updates can take a few days to go public.
Last edited by acedout on Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buttsauce

Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:38 pm

Loved this game from the beginning. Perfect for mobile... looking forward to more!

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”