EICJoe

Re: Review: Rome: Total War

Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:39 pm

Hey guys - do you feel we're being misleading in terms of what this game does/doesn't run on in terms of tech? I can edit/post clarifications if need be.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Mysterio

Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:05 pm

Hey guys - do you feel we're being misleading in terms of what this game does/doesn't run on in terms of tech? I can edit/post clarifications if need be.
Purchasing 64-bit apps on a 32-bit iPad via the App Store isn't allowed. But it is allowed via iTunes on a PC. So maybe noting an app as 64-bit only would help those with a 32-bit iPad who might mistakenly purchase it via iTunes.

biffpow

Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:25 pm

I think it would be helpful to have that kind of info. I'm on an ipad 4, so it makes a difference to me. Most things run just fine, but some are noticeably slow.

SleepingGiant

Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:02 pm

I'm kind of surprised too how a "very well done port" of "one of my favorite games of all time", both of which sentiments I agree with about this game, wouldn't rate as 5 stars. Maybe because it is a remake of a classic rather than something new? I'm sincerely wondering.

And my constructive question is what should the stars mean? Is it purely about how the writers regarded their own experience with the game, or is it about how much they would recommend it to their readers?

EICJoe

Re:

Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:02 am

I'm kind of surprised too how a "very well done port" of "one of my favorite games of all time", both of which sentiments I agree with about this game, wouldn't rate as 5 stars. Maybe because it is a remake of a classic rather than something new? I'm sincerely wondering.

And my constructive question is what should the stars mean? Is it purely about how the writers regarded their own experience with the game, or is it about how much they would recommend it to their readers?
So when I got here I developed a more official review policy, including vague concepts of what each star should mean, here.

This is an on-going thing though so we can adapt it if it's no longer fit for purpose. I think it holds up well enough but there do seem to be some issues around the 4/5 mark, which I'd put down to more difference of opinions than anything else.

I was talking to Nick about this and yeah, RTW is a very good port of a game that wasn't actually made especially well, it just did other things to make up for it. If you just look at Metacritic, the average is currently 92. Granted, it did get a few 100/100, in fact 16/58 reviews were above 95, but the majority were either side of the 90 mark. (In my mind 5-Stars only really represent 10/10, while 4-Star could be 7, 8 or 9 perhaps, although I don't really like going into this much detail as scores are a complicated enough proposition as it is).

We were swapping stories on AI shenanigans and they're mostly still in the game, so to warrant the 5th star Feral should really have tried putting in some effort to fix or otherwise improve elements of RTW that weren't so great.

One of the few rules I have at the moment is that the words should support the number - I think this review does.

Another one of Nick's, Demon Rise 2, not so much but we've already talked about how that could be improved going forward. Apologies for causing you guys any confusion though :)
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

drewpie

Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:06 pm

It strikes me that rating systems that use a number scale aren't very useful. Presumably a 1/10 and a 4/10 are both terrible, and a 4/5 stars and 5/5 stars are both worthwhile.

When trying to give advice to consumers it seems more useful to characterize things as buy/don't buy and give a qualitative analysis as to why, since different genres of games appeal to different gamers.

"Midpoint" rankings - 3/5 stars etc highlights this issue. Presumably a game of that rating is on the cusp of being good but has flaws. Whether or not the game is enjoyable and worth getting depends on a lot of the particulars of that game and its flaws. Which means you need a good qualitative analysis to make the decision anyway. Which is what reviewers should be Doug. Numerical rating systems are a distraction.

SleepingGiant

Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:48 pm

Shoot, I was writing a reply and hit save draft and the contents got deleted.

Anyway, TL;DR.

FWIW, I personally like the 1-5 star system even though there will always be some inherent subjectivity and edge cases.

I agree with the previous post that 1-2 and 4-5 each mean about the same general advice for readers, but I think they give room for emphasis and uncertainty.

fatsuperman

Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:54 pm

All review systems are numerical, no matter how you present them. I use the PT ratings as a decision whether to look further or not, 1, 2 or 3 and I generally don't bother, 4 or 5 and I take a closer look.

Obviously we are all going to mentally filter / adjust the score a game gets - for example if a clash of clans base building type game get 4 stars, I'm still not interested!

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”