TheVimFuego

Re: The Streets - A Hearthstone Meta Evaluation

Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:28 pm

I hate having too many forum memberships to manage but I had to add yet another to concur with jeffy777 and others. I have been playing a long time (badly admittedly ;)) and the current default aggro mode just to climb quickly is worse than ever.

To put down Reno decks just because they discourage players who have attention spans worse than a gnat is pitiful. And to say they are unbeatable is just plain wrong.

You want a game you can play on the toilet? Go download Angry Birds.

Hearthstone has some great potential and I love following the community and all the drama (probably more so than actually playing the game these days) but it's constantly undermined by rewarding mindless decks to the detriment of more strategic play.

I hear that aggro has to exist to keep control at bay but right now the game feels more like a chore and treadmill than what games, in my mind at least, are meant to be ... Fun.

EICJoe

Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:42 pm

Welcome Fuego! Thank you for taking the time to contribute :)
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

jeffy777

Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:06 am

I hate having too many forum memberships to manage but I had to add yet another to concur with jeffy777 and others. I have been playing a long time (badly admittedly ;)) and the current default aggro mode just to climb quickly is worse than ever.

To put down Reno decks just because they discourage players who have attention spans worse than a gnat is pitiful. And to say they are unbeatable is just plain wrong.

You want a game you can play on the toilet? Go download Angry Birds.

Hearthstone has some great potential and I love following the community and all the drama (probably more so than actually playing the game these days) but it's constantly undermined by rewarding mindless decks to the detriment of more strategic play.

I hear that aggro has to exist to keep control at bay but right now the game feels more like a chore and treadmill than what games, in my mind at least, are meant to be ... Fun.
Good call. The drama really is the best thing about the game. Otherwise, it's a bit hard to take it seriously as a competitive "eSport" when there's so much crazy luck and RNG involved.

TheVimFuego

Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:39 pm

Welcome Fuego! Thank you for taking the time to contribute :)
Thank you for the welcome, apologies for the delay replying I'd forgotten I'd made this post.

I blame it on Christmas :D

I've enjoyed reading Pocket Tactics for a long time, good stuff.

Aggro not any better by the way. I have a ridiculous win rate in Wild with Pirate Warrior ... I wouldn't play it normally but sometimes I like to go on a mindless rampage. :mrgreen:

BoxCanMan

Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:24 am

Hate to resurrect an old thread - but after playing Hearthstone for 2+ years it's Reno that is making me call it quits - or to at least severely scale back. I just wanted to back the author here since so many others disagreed. Seems every game I play now is Reno this, custom spell that. The games drag on for 15-20 minutes, it's just not fun. No longer can I enjoy a game or two with my morning coffee.

I am not a legend player (highest rank I've achieved is 13), and I haven't spent a cent on the game. But I have played pretty much daily for 2 years.

biffpow

Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:59 pm

Hate to resurrect an old thread - but after playing Hearthstone for 2+ years it's Reno that is making me call it quits - or to at least severely scale back. I just wanted to back the author here since so many others disagreed. Seems every game I play now is Reno this, custom spell that. The games drag on for 15-20 minutes, it's just not fun. No longer can I enjoy a game or two with my morning coffee.

I am not a legend player (highest rank I've achieved is 13), and I haven't spent a cent on the game. But I have played pretty much daily for 2 years.
I have to agree with the BoxCanMan here--I've been playing almost daily since the expansion hit, and Reno is omnipresent. And Jade Golems. This (for me) has created an environment where the options for winning seem to be either speed/face decks or luck. I don't like either of those options.

Games do take way longer than they used to, and while I don't mind running up against a well-crafted control deck, Golem decks require very little clever deck-building skills and not much skill to play either. And, as I think I wrote before in this thread, Reno is a silver bullet that now undermines many of the mechanics the game is based on. I have a couple of control engine decks that can get past my opponent getting 20+ extra life points, but it's not an enjoyable experience for either player in the end.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”