Mirefox

Re: PT Guides: Like... Magic: The Gathering? You'll Love These

Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:32 pm

I am one of those that has yet to pick up Dream Quest specifically because of the art. I don't need beauty, but there is something to be said for visual appeal.

As for this article, I've just begun playing Lost Portal and it is good. One of my go-to games that isn't Magic is Pokemon TCG, which I have written about in these forums before. I personally believe it is a stronger card game design than most even though outcomes may be determined early by certain strong cards and certain elemental matchups.

I'm a little torn over Card City Nights. I also don't know that it necessarily scratches the Magic itch. Other than being a CCG, it has little in common with Magic.

I'd also like to give a nod to Summoner Wars. While not really collectible, there is a minor amount of deck building, but the game certainly feels like a good, asymmetrical duel with an added spacial element.

geigerm

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:06 pm

I am one of those that has yet to pick up Dream Quest specifically because of the art. I don't need beauty, but there is something to be said for visual appeal.
I was in the same camp as you. The discussion over DQ's art got beaten to death on the old forums, and I held out until there was a key giveaway, so I got it for free. Now I'm considering buying the Steam version just to be able to say I paid for the game (even though I'm sure Blizzard is paying Whalen well). IMO, the game's that good. My concerns over the art went away after playing just a few times.

BlueTempalr

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:22 pm

The latest official Magic title on Android might only be Magic : Duels of the Planeswalkers 2015, which IIRC isn't that good and doesn't work very well...

But Forge, one of the many unofficial Magic game "emulators", has an Android version!
http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/view ... 26&t=14534
(that worked pretty well last time I tried)

P.S.: I messed up with my nickname, how do I change it now? Doesn't seem to be possible in the forum settings...

Mirefox

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:26 pm

I was in the same camp as you. The discussion over DQ's art got beaten to death on the old forums, and I held out until there was a key giveaway, so I got it for free. Now I'm considering buying the Steam version just to be able to say I paid for the game (even though I'm sure Blizzard is paying Whalen well). IMO, the game's that good. My concerns over the art went away after playing just a few times.
Yeah, I remember those discussions. I almost feel guilty sometimes for not buying it; perhaps I will get over my hang ups one day.

Mirefox

Re:

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:29 pm

The latest official Magic title on Android might only be Magic : Duels of the Planeswalkers 2015, which IIRC isn't that good and doesn't work very well...

But Forge, one of the many unofficial Magic game "emulators", has an Android version!
http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/view ... 26&t=14534
(that worked pretty well last time I tried)

P.S.: I messed up with my nickname, how do I change it now? Doesn't seem to be possible in the forum settings...
I thought the Duels of the Planeswalkers titles were excellent. They did not offer he full CCG experience, but they still offered great Magic gameplay. Really, you just had to consider that instead of building your own deck, you have to chose a deck archetype to play through a campaign with. You could "level up" your decks, so to speak, by winning matches and unlocking deck-specific cards. You could also unlock decks beyond your standard blue mill, white weenie, green creatures, black zombies, and red burn.

BlueTempalr

Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:30 am

Some of the DoTP offer you to build your own deck. IIRC the 2015 one does. But IIRC this same 2015 one isn't very good, and especially the mobile version, which IIRC suffers from all kinds of issues (one of them not being able to share progress with the PC version).

Hustlertwo

Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:40 am

I dunno guys, I'm starting to get the impression none of you like DreamQuest. Such a shame...
Yeah, it sucks.

Honestly, even the vaunted Card Crawl falls behind DQ for me, if only because I prefer RPG hybrids to more pure card games. I do play CC more now because of the daily games, but it had the issue that once you bought all the cards (which is sort of when the game just begins), money was useless. Coin cards only matter for bumping up the scores of individual games because there is nothing bigger to build toward anymore. But the achievement points in DQ took FOREVER to unlock everything, and even when you finally do it, they remain relevant because of spending them to be able to come back from the dead in individual playthroughs. In this way even the many times you suck and die have value because every one adds to the point pool to help some future playthrough. And the difficulty was intense enough that every time you made it just a little farther it felt like a major accomplishment. This game made me realize the satisfaction people get from stuff like Dark Souls.

To all of y'all still on the fence, obviously you know best how much simplistic visuals matter to you. But you really should give it a try. This is a unique, engaging title that belongs in every phone. And it is telling that I say all this when Whalen's check hasn't even cleared my bank yet!
Please check out my interactive fiction comedy Nuclear Powered Toaster, available on iOS, Google Play, Steam and Amazon!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... redtoaster

TheVimFuego

Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:51 pm

Yeah, I remember those discussions. I almost feel guilty sometimes for not buying it; perhaps I will get over my hang ups one day.
I hope you do. Seriously, I've just had my first play of DQ for 3 hours solid. After the first ... um ... 5 minutes ... you forget the graphics and get lost in the strategy and progression.

It's great and I've surrendered my allocated evening of relatively polished but desperately predictable Hearthstone laddering quite happily.

I've been gaming for a loooooong time (like ZX81 3D Monster Maze long) but I know when something gets me in the zone and this warrants the asking price and time spent.

Hustlertwo

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:37 am

All the talk before about this game got me interested in going back to it for a bit. Played Monk since it was my lowest high score (1200 even) and after two playthrougs, managed to slap the Lord of the Dream for 489 damage thanks to his fairly weak abilities and some good action card chaining with a Longbow, Deck of Wonder and +1 damage to all physical sources. Reminded me why I like this game so much.
Please check out my interactive fiction comedy Nuclear Powered Toaster, available on iOS, Google Play, Steam and Amazon!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... redtoaster

Mirefox

Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:08 pm

Eternal is the closest to Magic you will get on iOS currently.

Recently I've been playing a CCG called Mythgard and think it is quite good. It is still in beta and the UI can be a little rough, but there are some interesting decisions to be made, the art is good, and there is some neat synergy. Definitely worth checking out.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”