Basil Isk

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:51 pm

I won't contest the game being strange and I think racist is maybe a bit strong, but the tone of parts of the article sound like you are feeling entitled and being snarky that the game should be in english.

Also the phrase "whatever Asian language the developer used" does sound very flippant and dismissive and frankly quite rude, especially since you seem to be fairly confident that it is Chinese in the rest of the article. Probably "whatever language they used" is their native language, that several million or billion other people speak..

Would you think it was ok if Chinese sites reviewed english language app store games and said things like "Beyond that you're on your own unless you can read whatever Western language the developer used."?

Basil Isk

Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:11 pm

And I'm not sure what you even mean with that last sentence, is every non English language game "taking miracles for granted" because you can't read it? Surely the same applies to every English iOS game ever made that doesn't have a Chinese language option?

EICJoe

Re: Lost in Translation - Pathfinder:Destination & Designing Around Language

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:46 am

Hey everyone,

So to provide you with some insight into this from my end:

Matt's original brief from me was that it might be amusing to try reviewing a game available through the US/UK App Store that doesn't have any English in it, yet is trying to hit a broad audience due to it's visual-based gameplay.

Due to some potential technical issues Matt reported back to me that the game probably wouldn't score well, but we both agreed that because we couldn't be 100% sure what had happened - the game not being in English - it was probably best to change the scope to a feature. Matt said he had been thinking a lot about language-agnostic/language-less game design while playing the game, so I approved a feature based on this talking point.

I also approved the article as it was written, but I echo's Matt sentiment that the onus is on us to make sure we're always doing better. If anyone has any concerns about the article, they are always welcome to reach out to me directly.

From my end, I think it's not a case of whether this game should be in English or not. Matt indicated that this game seems very aware that it's try to appeal to people who don't speak Chinese and using visual-based mechanics. I think the point Matt was trying to hit home was that you can't assume players will automatically 'get' the game, even if you're using more universally accepted visual clues.

My email is in the 'About Us' section if you want to talk about this further.

For everyone else: I know people like 'pockettacticssucks' wear their agenda on their sleeves, but let's try and keep it civil. Regardless of their feelings towards the site, they could have a genuine concern about this article (that Basil also shares), and that needs to be taken seriously.

Hope you all had a good weekend!
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

mattDP

Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:55 am

"Also the phrase 'whatever Asian language the developer used' does sound very flippant and dismissive and frankly quite rude, especially since you seem to be fairly confident that it is Chinese in the rest of the article."

Thanks for highlighting this. Let me explain.

My original intention behind 'whatever Asian language the developer used' was to actually try and be respectful. I didn't know what the language was, and I didn't want to make an assumption that it was Chinese just because it used Chinese-like characters. It was a poor choice of words.

Especially so when I then, as you observe, label the language as Chinese elsewhere in the piece. That was a mistake that crept in during my drafting process. I should have been more observant. These errors were mine, and I apologise without reservation for any offence caused.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”