MrGohl

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:27 pm

Plants vs Zombies : Heroes has replaced my Hearthstone time on my device, and I dont miss it a bit. I think that because Hearthstone is so popular, with so many people playing, that when a new expansion is released, the meta is "solved" too quickly. This leads to long periods of the "stale" meta.

I'm not sure what the solution would be. Do you have to perfectly balance each expansion before its released? or do you make nerf's much more quickly to tweak it back to stability? or do you just dump new content into the game twice as fast to keep things fresh?

zot23

Re: Hearthstone: Why We Must Fight Back Against Bad Brawls

Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:55 pm

Great points. I'm not surprised by their methods of testing and balancing decks (or lack thereof.) Whatever goes on behind closed doors in Blizzard it seems they are always slow to nerf the obvious unbalances and then reach quickly for the nerf hammer whenever some card has better than average success. They rarely go the other way and pump up underused cards that just take up space in the card lists.

For example, I had a Silence Priest deck last year that was fairly effective (it played well against the meta at the time and it was completely unexpected as it was a 100% self-created deck.) When they released the new card with "Silence" I was excited to think I might resurrect this deck but silence only affects friendly minions (cutting it's usefulness to less than half.) No one plays silence, I've never seen it in a deck outside of Arena and then only once. If Blizzard just changed it to "silence a minion and draw a card" I would love to use it. Why won't they ever make those changes? The card is useless as is, it is a waste of space and too conditional to be helpful.

I wish they would put a little more thought into which card sunset and which stick around for future play. IMHO you could keep Annoy-o-tron forever as it had excellent utility withut being overpowered but is there some pressing need to have Dalaren Mage anymore? It's a golden card in my lists for goodness sake, yet I've never put it in a deck. Sure, Dr. Boom and others have to go, but why not integrate some of the more useful exapnsion cards into the standard lists and sunset the useless perma-cards?

I know I'm ranting ;) Sometimes the choices this game makes mystifies me.

biffpow

Re:

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:52 pm

...Hearthstone is so popular, with so many people playing, that when a new expansion is released, the meta is "solved" too quickly. This leads to long periods of the "stale" meta.

I'm not sure what the solution would be. Do you have to perfectly balance each expansion before its released? or do you make nerf's much more quickly to tweak it back to stability? or do you just dump new content into the game twice as fast to keep things fresh?
I agree--this is a real problem with the game for me, as it discourages people from deck innovation and trying new things. My favorite aspect of HS is making new, unusual decks and running into them. My least favorite aspect of the game is running into the same decks over and over again.

I think one really key solution would be to stop releasing cards in "expansions", which is a holdover from the way physical CCGs release cards. There's no reason to do this with a digital ccg. Why not release a half-dozen (or even ten) new cards every week or two? Put them in packs of The Latest Cards, with cards cycling out after a couple months, where they could then go into more thematic "expansion" packs. In this way, there are always new cards coming into the game, and the meta won't get stale.

Another way to tweak the meta would be to limit the number of times a card could be used in a given time period. Each Legendary, for example, could only get 5 plays per day. This alone would have effectively dealt with the Reno nonsense.

And yes, as you suggest, nerf things more quickly.

biffpow

Re: Hearthstone: Why We Must Fight Back Against Bad Brawls

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:57 pm

For example, I had a Silence Priest deck last year that was fairly effective (it played well against the meta at the time and it was completely unexpected as it was a 100% self-created deck.) ... No one plays silence, I've never seen it in a deck outside of Arena and then only once.
So now I'm curious to try and create a Silence deck myself : ) What are you playing now that's of your own invention? I'm playing a Secret Hunter deck that is way heavy on secrets as a means to hold some control from turn 1 to about turn 5 or 6, when I start laying down heavier minions and shifting to face. Been doing pretty well with it--no one seems to have a good response to it, other than pure speed decks.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”