admin
Site Admin

News by Numbers - May 1st, 2017

Mon May 01, 2017 4:02 pm

iOS 11: 187,000 obsolete appsCommissions aren't the only thing Apple's slashing…it's a foregone conclusion at this point that they will be removing 32-bit support with iOS 11 this fall, which...

http://www.pockettactics.com/articles/n ... -1st-2017/

biffpow

Mon May 01, 2017 5:12 pm

Great round-up, as always, Nick : )

I want to put two of the stats together here: Mobile gaming made over $11 Billion in the first quarter of this year. That's almost $4 Billion per month. Yet apple has decided it needs to slash its affiliate commission from 7% to 2.5%. Because...why? Greed? Abject disinterest for community?

I wonder how affiliates will respond. Perhaps affiliate sites will start covering homebrew apps/tweaks and being more critical of the insulting treatment we receive from apple. Just a thought.

Rant over.

And agreed about Tempo Storm. It's a great site for HS. But as for the Tier 1 decks...well, ok, there -are- more decks now listed in that tier, but those six are spread across only three classes. Moreover, the difference between the two Paladin decks is minimal. And the quest-Rogue deck is simply broken--a toddler could win with that deck. That needed a nerf last week.

I still have seen nothing to change my opinion that Un'Goro has made the game worse.

Univac

Mon May 01, 2017 8:05 pm

I think Vicious Syndicate has a much better and more objective meta report than tempo storm. Vs upates their meta report much more frequently than tempo storm and they use data collected from thousands of hearthstone players playing 10s-100s of thousands of games each week as opposed to tempo storm who solely rely on the expertise of "pro" hearthstone players.

NICKVIGDAHL

Mon May 01, 2017 8:34 pm

Great round-up, as always, Nick : )

I want to put two of the stats together here: Mobile gaming made over $11 Billion in the first quarter of this year. That's almost $4 Billion per month. Yet apple has decided it needs to slash its affiliate commission from 7% to 2.5%. Because...why? Greed? Abject disinterest for community?

I wonder how affiliates will respond. Perhaps affiliate sites will start covering homebrew apps/tweaks and being more critical of the insulting treatment we receive from apple. Just a thought.
Thanks, much! I'm sure, like most things, it was about money. Apple decided to cut costs and probably perceived little downside to it in this case.

I'm not sure what, if anything, affiliate sites and streamers will do differently. There's not a whole lot to do. It's not a a huge hit unless an affiliate is consistently sending a lot of referrals Apple's way. If you're sending that much traffic you're not really in a position to change much without fundamentally altering the content you produce (expand into PC/Mac gaming, focus only on Android).

G Mahler

Mon May 01, 2017 10:07 pm

So, my strategy,with my aging iPad 4, when the deadly 11 appears, is to not update to IOS 11 and not update any of my existing games...I will maintain what I have and perhaps someday I will get another iPad to handle the newer stuff that comes out....I will be damned if I am going to willingly exterminate the games I already paid for, even if I miss out on future content.

biffpow

Re:

Wed May 03, 2017 5:44 pm

So, my strategy,with my aging iPad 4, when the deadly 11 appears, is to not update to IOS 11 and not update any of my existing games...I will maintain what I have and perhaps someday I will get another iPad to handle the newer stuff that comes out....I will be damned if I am going to willingly exterminate the games I already paid for, even if I miss out on future content.
I also have an ipad 4, and this is my same strategy. Some games, though, require updating to play them (such as always-online connected games). I don't know whether those games will also require switching to the new ios, though I certainly hope not.

@Univac: Thanks for the tip about Vicious Syndicate! I hadn't known of that site, and it does look like a really strong one for HS meta.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”