admin
Site Admin

Review: Dead Age

Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:15 pm

Rogue, and the true roguelikes that came after it (Nethack, ADOM, Angband, etc.) were more than random dungeons that you had to start over when you died.

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-dead-age/

Hustlertwo

Re: Review: Dead Age

Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:03 pm

Having unfortunately bought this game, I would call this an apt review. I stopped playing around day 9, when the same fights, annoying 'date' missions and terrible menus all combined with having the app quit out when I was on battle 12 of a 20 battle mission, and knowing I would have to do it all again. Something similar happened when I was playing offline on Age of Rivals, but at least that game had enough high points to offset the frustration. Not so here.
Please check out my interactive fiction comedy Nuclear Powered Toaster, available on iOS, Google Play, Steam and Amazon!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... redtoaster

jasta07

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:47 pm

Yep, really wish I'd waited to read this before buying it.

Tedious doesn't begin to describe the combat in this game.

EICJoe

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:07 am

Sorry about that guys - we're looking into getting reviews to be more timely, but we're pretty locked to one article a day and there always seems to be something more interesting to talk about!
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

SleepingGiant

Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:38 pm

Totally agree with the review and the above comments (except I personally liked Age of Rivals the more I played it, especially online since each game only takes a few minutes).

No need to be sorry at all Joe, it seemed like a neat game at first, and it is nice looking, until actually playing for a couple hours and realizing how repetitive it is likely to be to play on. And nobody should expect you to have reviews for every single game out there, and nobody held a gun to our heads to buy it.

I had a similar experience with metro 2033: war. It seemed like a really cool combination of strategy on the map and tactics in the fight, but I trailed off once the battles started feeling like they were going to get too repetitive. It does have good ratings on the App Store and maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, that one might be an interesting idea for your queue of reviews?

jasta07

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:49 pm

All good Joe, there were enough poor ratings and Steam reviews that I should have paused but it just looked so damn pretty and there seemed to be a lot of interesting screens and content.

Not your fault I'm a sucker for zombie things. :)

acedout

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:16 pm

Wow, I'm glad I held off. I was very close though, as it looks so pretty!

A game-playing sheep in wolfs GFX clothing by the sounds of it, so thanks PT! No apology necessary - there is no obligation to review every game on release.

Hustlertwo

Re:

Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:58 am

Totally agree with the review and the above comments (except I personally liked Age of Rivals the more I played it, especially online since each game only takes a few minutes).

No need to be sorry at all Joe, it seemed like a neat game at first, and it is nice looking, until actually playing for a couple hours and realizing how repetitive it is likely to be to play on. And nobody should expect you to have reviews for every single game out there, and nobody held a gun to our heads to buy it.

I had a similar experience with metro 2033: war. It seemed like a really cool combination of strategy on the map and tactics in the fight, but I trailed off once the battles started feeling like they were going to get too repetitive. It does have good ratings on the App Store and maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, that one might be an interesting idea for your queue of reviews?
I played that Metro game. It gets a bit broken in spots and doesn't really have a discernible ending, but the combat was actually pretty solid in my opinion. Maybe Dead Age could have gotten there too, but it was just too many faults. The Metro game didn't distract you with a ton of craft baloney, and it had at least moderately better menus.
Please check out my interactive fiction comedy Nuclear Powered Toaster, available on iOS, Google Play, Steam and Amazon!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... redtoaster

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”