skoptic

Re: Review: Neo Scavenger

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:55 pm

It would be nice to know what the game is like on iPad, I now know that it’s awful on phone and great on a desktop. Whatever the editorial thinking, it would be great to follow up with a review on one of the principal devices it was released on, especially as it seems to have promise.

fatsuperman

Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:32 pm

I really like Neo Scavenger, played it on PC ages ago and when I saw it on the Out Now article I immediately bought it. I didn't even bother trying it, straight in to the IAP and paid my dues.

The iPad is never going to stand up well to a PC when a game is ported like this, but that aside this is still a great game to have in my bag or to play in bed etc. Yes, the inventory management is a bit picky, on small items you'll need to occasionally zoom in (pinch, or double-tap) to get things where you want them before zooming out (pinch out, or double-tap). If you are adept with your left-hand you'll have less problems with your hand obscuring the inventory (I'm USELESS with my left-hand).

The game utterly canes my battery, the map doesn't work. Other than that I honestly don't think it deserves much more criticism. I've even played a few hours on my iPhone 6 and it's not THAT bad, obviously you do a heck of a lot more zooming.

I think the review was quite unfair - the rating is unfair. I fully accept that it's available for phone so you've tried it on the phone, but to base the whole IOS review on that is harsh.

EICJoe

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:12 am

Hey guys - rest assured I take all of your concerns seriously, but to lay out my stance on this: there won't be a dedicated iPad review of Neo Scavenger. I'm not interested in spending the budget on it as I don't feel it's a priority, for a couple of reasons:

* I think you're all collectively answering your own question on this point: The comments from fatsuperman, Idneir and TaltosKhan seem quite informative with regards to what it's like on iPad.

* I'm asking Nick to whip up a paragraph for free detailing iPad impressions, although since he needs to donate some time to do this I'm not sure when it will arrive. In the meantime, you can consult this paragraph from his Out Now entry covering the game, which was tested on an iPad:

"The game is based heavily on text and makes use of only very basic graphics. There tend to be a lot of options in certain scenarios, like combat, and it takes some getting used to. Combat is realistically deadly and probably best avoided wherever possible (see the part about permadeath above). The game's user interface is far from perfect and takes some getting used to, but doesn't nullify the interesting gameplay and storyline."

I can update the body of the review as well to highlight this for future readers.

In future, if something like this arises again, I think it is probably best we at least get some other-platform impressions upfront to give you guys more of a rounded picture, especially because a lot more of you are tablet-first than not. That I can acknowledge and try and try to do better on.

I'm not going to change my stance on what platforms reviewers need to have access to, nor will I advise that review scores be de-coupled from the platform we're reviewing it on primarily so long as the subject is handled with care.

I honestly stand by the opinion that if you release a game on a platform, then you need to accept the risk that the game will only be reviewed within the context of that platform. Our job is to give you as much information as we can within a reasonable time-frame, but as long as we're up front with what we're talking about, I'm ok with us not being able to cover every angle. It's not always possible and I'm not going to discriminate against writers just because they don't have access to ALL platforms. As I've said before, our readership isn't exclusively tablet, neither are they exclusively iOS - as long as what we're doing is useful and representative to a legitimate group of readers, then that's good enough for me.

Again, my door's always open and feel free to criticise or question either here or via email. Civil discourse is always welcome :)
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

alexsem6

Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:19 am

It would be nice to know what the game is like on iPad, I now know that it???s awful on phone and great on a desktop. Whatever the editorial thinking, it would be great to follow up with a review on one of the principal devices it was released on, especially as it seems to have promise.
I tried it on Android 8" tablet. It is still very painful.

J2D

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:19 pm

Joe, I don't think anybody is suggesting you require this writer to own a tablet. What we're suggesting is you understand the games being reviewed at least well enough to assign them properly. If the reviewer also has a phone to check it out on and provide some impressions there, so much the better.

FedUp

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:30 pm

This isn't an issue of the review not being done on all platforms. While that would be a great service to provide (and something I would expect from a larger site), it's clear PT's resources are severely limited and it's not feasible.
What IS a problem is that the very low rating is based almost exclusively on the fact that the game did not port well to a tiny iPhone. For those of us who browse a review without reading every sentence, the rating is misleading. If I hadn't read the last paragraph, where the writer makes it clear the problem is with the phone and not the game, per se, I would have seen the 2 stars and just assumed the game wasn't worth my time or money.
Not all of us play mobile games on a tiny phone, as you have acknowledged, and you are doing those of us who don't a disservice by skewing a rating largely because of the device your writer used. Knowing that it plays poorly on a tiny phone is useful, but it should not mean the rating drops precipitously.

Snotty128

Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:36 pm

The review made it quite clear that there was an interesting game to be seen here, and I downloaded this free to try game based on the review alone.

Theres no escaping the fact that the UI is very fiddly and not optimised for mobile. I can see how only the very most dedicated fans would want to play this game on a smaller screen.

All credit to the dev for getting this game to us on mobile, but sadly he has fallen into some of the traps present when porting a game to this market. Hopefully they can learn what some of the expectations are amongst the mobile community and integrate them better next time.

Idneir

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:20 am

Re:
I completely understand the editorial decision with regard to limited resources and I'm sure if you've had an available reviewer with a tablet you would've assigned it.

For me the issue is that I need to know if the game is actually playable on an ipad and the reviewer doesn't know. To quote:

"On PC I can tell you Neo Scavenger is a gem. On iPhone 5C? I can't recommend it. At all. On a newer iPhone with an extra 1.5 inches of screen real-estate, or an iPad? Possibly."

He tried it on the phone and it doesn't work out, and then he tried it on the PC and found an excellent game. But how does it do on the ipad, where it's the only real platform where anyone who's interested in buying it will play? The review doesn't give this information with confidence, and therefore not very useful.

Yes the dev is obligated to make it work on platforms where he makes it available, and now we know one of them doesn't work. But what about the other, actually the primary choice?

That said, I suppose we can find out ourselves before upgrading, but we certainly would love to hear it from a reviewer.

funso

Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:31 am

I find it raher fishy that FEDUP and ARAMAIC accounts were created specifically to reply to this review, condeming it. I'll assume that these are the developer, given their strong anger yet never having bothered to post before.

(Ironically, My account is also new, because apparently my 3 year old account is long gone :( | The changes around a year ago I assume. This ruse was prety obvious, I wasn't going to leave it uncommented).

EICJoe

Re:

Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:45 am

I find it raher fishy that FEDUP and ARAMAIC accounts were created specifically to reply to this review, condeming it. I'll assume that these are the developer, given their strong anger yet never having bothered to post before.

(Ironically, My account is also new, because apparently my 3 year old account is long gone :( | The changes around a year ago I assume. This ruse was prety obvious, I wasn't going to leave it uncommented).
AFAIK, it's not the developer. I've been speaking to Mr. Fedor about this directly and he's been very understanding regarding our POV so we're all good there.

I always like to reach out to devs where possible, especially with regards to negative coverage, so it doesn't feel like we're taking potshots from the dark.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”