raindog308

Re: Review: Darkest Dungeon

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:01 pm

This site is going to drive me to bankruptcy. So many good reviews exposing me to good games.

acedout

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:06 pm

This site is going to drive me to bankruptcy. So many good reviews exposing me to good games.
I hear you!

geigerm

Re:

Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:43 pm

Does the mobile port include the Crimson Court content?
Not yet, but the devs have said it's on the way.

LOVECRAFT

Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:19 am

I THINK WE NEED AN IPHONE VERSION FOR THIES JEWEL....

WesKingofScots

Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:21 am

Android!!!!

Snarvid

Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:20 pm

This, Strike Team Hydra, and Galaxy of Pen and Paper are all 4 star games according to this site. I like Strike Team Hydra plenty well and really appreciate how accessible its developer is, but putting it on the same tier with Darkest Dungeon shows a failure of PT to quantify real differences between games. Sure, DD is hard enough to not appeal to everyone, but its level of polish, balance, voice acting, and thematic and mechanical unity put it on a tier above either of these other games. Is it perfect? No. But in its current form it beats the pants off many other 4 star RPGs in the store, and there's still room for interface improvements. Easily 5 stars.

EICJoe

Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:20 am

This, Strike Team Hydra, and Galaxy of Pen and Paper are all 4 star games according to this site. I like Strike Team Hydra plenty well and really appreciate how accessible its developer is, but putting it on the same tier with Darkest Dungeon shows a failure of PT to quantify real differences between games. Sure, DD is hard enough to not appeal to everyone, but its level of polish, balance, voice acting, and thematic and mechanical unity put it on a tier above either of these other games. Is it perfect? No. But in its current form it beats the pants off many other 4 star RPGs in the store, and there's still room for interface improvements. Easily 5 stars.
I'm sure Michael can elaborate more on his thoughts if he wants to, but there's a fallacy in assuming that just because three games have a certain score, they are all the "same". To be honest, this is the main weakness in top-level scoring systems like the one PT uses.

I prefer it over scoring out of 10, I think, and definitely find it better than scoring out of 100, but at the end of the day boiling down the question "Is this game good?" to a number is never going to really hold up in the long term, especially when you start comparing one game to another. It can only act as top-level guidance.

You also have to consider that Michael wrote the STH review as well as this one, but Mark wrote the Galaxy of Pen & Paper review. While we have a rough scoring guide on our site, there's still room to manoeuvre there as everyone is different, everyone expresses their opinions differently and everyone has different sets of values.

As much as I've seen people say that they use the scores as a quick-stop guide to looking at whether or not a game's worth buying, from my point of you if all you're doing is looking at the score then you're doing it wrong (and I mean no offence to anyone here, but we accompany scores with text for a reason). As long as you read the text, you'll know what that 4 means and know how it truly fit with the other games you've got in your buying queue.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Snarvid

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:31 am

"Same tier" is what I said, not "same." From PT's review policy:

4 Star = Generally Recommended – Apps that are given this rating present themselves well and have some smart ideas. A worthy candidate for your time and/or money.

5 Star = Highly Recommended – App is a paragon of justice and virtue, and probably saves old ladies or cats in its spare time. Incredibly well presented and/or made, and generally your life will lack any meaning if you don't try this out.

I do read the reviews as well as the score, and was puzzled to see the concluding two sentences be followed by a 4 star rating. PT reviewers have now given four RPGs in a row a 4 star review. My guess is the gaming community will still be talking about only one of them in a year's time.

baconcow

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:35 pm

SNARVID,

Just my viewpoint, but Darkest Dungeon on iOS isn't perfect in the polish department. From my hour or so of play (over 60 hours on Steam, for comparison), so far, the most glaring issue is the lack of a GUI meant for iPads. For a game that has been developed only for iPads, the developer was unable to make a GUI that properly fit any of the compatible iPads, leaving large areas of unused space both above and below the game. Things like font sizes and other elements could have been improved if the GUI was slightly redesigned. The developers have a valid reason for this, outlined on their Reddit comment. The touch aspects of the game can also be slightly improved (I use an Apple Pencil and have had only slight issues).

Beyond this, the game plays incredibly well and is likely better than those others you mentioned. Had they actually redesigned the GUI elements for the iPad, as other have done for their ported games, I would give this an easy 5 stars. As it stands, I give this game 4.5 stars.

Snarvid

Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:38 pm

I don't think DD is perfect, either, but perfect is not required for 5 stars under PT's policies - either formally, under the definition, or in the examples of previous 5 star RPGs. Rogue Wizards, which got 5 stars, offered merely adequate story, emotional engagement, and sound design. As a tactical RPG/loot hunt RW is pretty solid, but let's not claim strict perfection for it - it's a really tight implementation of something we've seen many times before, with a much better pricing structure than, say, Warhammer Quest. Guild of Dungeoneering, another 5 star RPG, suffers from extremely narrow effective build diversity/poor class balance - the top tier heroes are significantly better than either expansion heroes or lower tier heroes from the starting game. The entire tactical puzzle of the game can be essentially solved by unlocking Artificer or Cartomancer, at which point what's really left to do except go through the motions? (Whereas, if you don't look up hints for boss fights online in DD, you'll probably lose if you go in with a generic party, as each forms a tactical puzzle to solve given the tools at your disposal.)

I don't expect the score to change. I just think it's a hard sell to suggest that, when compared to the overall library of iOS RPGs, DD stops at presenting itself well and having some smart ideas.

(Also, 4.5 appears not to be an option in this 5 star system.)

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”