jeffy777

Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:50 pm

the community weren't talking about it themselves on PT. The 64-bit switch has happened now, so there seems little point on dwelling on it further.
I'm pretty sure we were. I remember complaining about it several times myself. Sure, it wasn't being discussed to the same degree as it was elsewhere, but then again what really is here? In proportion to the low number of comments in general, it was being talked about quite a bit.

EICJoe

Re:

Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:58 pm

the community weren't talking about it themselves on PT. The 64-bit switch has happened now, so there seems little point on dwelling on it further.
I'm pretty sure we were. I remember complaining about it several times myself. Sure, it wasn't being discussed to the same degree as it was elsewhere, but then again what really is here? In proportion to the low number of comments in general, it was being talked about quite a bit.
Apologies jeffy - I do remember you mentioning it, but the conversation didn't really carry on from there as far as I recall. I did try and get some coverage plans in place after I saw your post, but nothing came of them and I wasn't in a position to converse about it myself.

Like I said, that's a failure on my part and I do regret not offering our own discourse on the subject.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

jeffy777

Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:28 pm

Well, I remember reading other comments too so I wasn't the only one...

I do appreciate the apology, nonetheless.

Wulf_der_Sturm

Re: Out Now: A-Game Edition

Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:30 pm

if you care enough, you know where the information is
In standard journalistic/editing practice, when someone has a potential conflict of interest, they say it clearly at the bottom of the article. For example, "I received this product free" or "I own shares in one of the companies I wrote about".

The current verbiage of the PT-Slitherine relationship is intentionally obscured. A new reader who was not around at the time of the ownership change would probably remain unaware and the hope is probably that most don't care enough to try and make a connection.
Their Director is our Director
Ok. So therefore, they are your boss.
mobile gaming is not my primary platform
If you truly want to service the readers of this web site, you should consider delegating the editor position to someone else who does care more about mobile gaming.

The amount of content here has actually increased. But I no longer come here regularly (hence the slightly delayed reply) mainly because of the attitude of the current editor. The tone has pretty much been "I acknowledge your opinion, but I'm doing it this way, take it or leave it." That is definitely his right, but people remember how they are treated.

EICJOE strikes me as someone who perhaps is good at the technical aspects of the editing job, and probably has good intentions, but poor people skills/tact. Perhaps people haven't said much because they are just not coming back or choosing not to participate any more.

(I'm expecting to be banned after this post, so if that is the case, so be it. I've already made my exdous from the Inner Sphere over to Stately Play.)

In a shocking turn of events, Wulf was not banned. -ED

raindog308

Re:

Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:54 pm

OMG some actual discussion on PT - sweet! :-)
of the arguments they advanced for not upgrading their games was, "well mobile gaming wasn't as profitable for us as we expected"
I never heard that. Here is what I read (irony points, I'll use a Stately Play link ;-) http://statelyplay.com/2017/06/30/when- ... -ocalypse/

My nerd rage is towards Apple here, not Slitherine. It's not much different than quite a few games from my earlier days that no longer play on Win 10.

However, you are certainly entitled to draw different conclusions and I wouldn't have a beef with anyone who decides to boycott Slitherine. It's a bad situation...I just don't think it's as simple as you distill it down to.
Did the editor of a mobile games site just admit he doesn't play games on mobile, doesn't have iOS, and is unfamiliar with the appoaplypse?!? EICJOE you are a clown. This isn't the first time you have shown your ignorance of this site and its readers expectations. This place is a joke. See you over at Statley Gamer, where the soul of this site now resides. I cannot believe you just said what you did. Unbelievable!
So he's the editor...but...so what? He's not the only contributor and I don't think he even writes many of the posts. I think his role is more administrative than content-authoring.

I like PT and will continue to visit here. I honestly didn't know about Stately Gamer so time to party over there as well. The more the merrier.

I just wish there were more iPad wargames...there's only so much PanzerCorps DLC I can play a dozen times.

jeffy777

Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:13 am

I just wish there were more iPad wargames...
+1

SleepingGiant

Re: Out Now: A-Game Edition

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:04 am

I didn’t even mean to chime in on this thread, but now I can’t look away or zip my mouth.

Nerd hat: yes, Apple is a bitch, they could have just added #DEF x32bit = old, but instead #DEF x32bit = screwUsersAndDevs

IMHO on Boycotts:

Apple: I can’t boycott them any more than a junkie can boycott his crack dealer
Slitherine: not so much a boycott, but a calculation it is no longer worth buying
Pocket Tactics: still believe it can/will keep improving for every bump in the road

Narkulus

Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:42 pm

My iPad sits on a shelf gathering dust. Likely the last Apple device i will own as it was such a waste of money, not as useful as a phone, not nearly as powerful as a laptop, just a device to keep young children quiet with a little learning session. I don't know what I was thinking when I thought it could replace a small laptop. Lesson learned, lol.

I also rarely game on mobile and can easily just wait until I get home and game on a real computer, but I take note of articles on this site as many of them are cross-platform and rarely consider that the site is tied to Slitherine. I also don't see where it's necessary the editor has to be an avid mobile gamer to perform his editorial duties as some posters have somewhat rudely implied. I will continue to enjoy PT as long as they don't start reviewing Bingo Slots like another site I used to peruse.

EICJoe

Re:

Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:49 pm

I will continue to enjoy PT as long as they don't start reviewing Bingo Slots...
Damn, there goes that idea...
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

jhkrischel

Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:53 pm

Yeah, gotta say, as harsh as it was for Apple to discontinue 32-bit support, I'm not buying anything else from slitherine unless they treat their premium 32-bit iOS titles with the support they deserve.

If they're *not* willing to do that, they should at least open source their 32-bit code and allow the public to port it to 64-bit on their own time.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”