serp

Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:07 am

I cry every night waiting for a Android port :~(

EICJoe

Re:

Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:17 am

Rangent wrote:Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander is on iPhone/iPad, but thats the only Halcyon 6 game I can find. It seems like Halcyon 6: Lightspeed Edition is only for PC?
That's possibly our mistake - the game is officially known as 'Halycon 6: Starbase Commander' but it released released an update on PC called 'Lightspeed Edition' that fixed a bunch of stuff.

I guess on mobile they went with the old name. I'll fix it ASAP.
Following the article like to the UK app store, and you see "Halcyon 6: Lightspeed Edition". Go to the U.S. version of the app store and there is (only) "Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander". I am holding off on purchasing until I can be sure it is the same game.
So as far as I can tell - regardless of whether it's called 'Starbase Commander' or 'Lightspeed Edition', it's the same game. You can buy it as 'Lightspeed Edition' on the MAC app store, but when I go into the iOS store back-end (to grab affiliate links etc...) no matter which country I look at it's always called Starbase Commander.

Regardless, this port happened after they'd updated the game to 'Lightpseed Edition', so even if it doesn't have the name it's still got all the improvements that update brought.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

EICJoe

Re:

Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:18 am

Thank goodness this review arrived. I thought I had slipped into some vile parallel dimension where pocket tactics for some reason had let Halcyon slip through the cracks.
Yeah sorry about the delay - I was hoping to get the review up quicker than this!
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Private Prinny

Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:43 am

It is the same game.

The mobile Port has all the good stuff from the "Lightspeed eddition" update already included.

Why they did the naming shenanigans I don't know.
So purchase away, regardless of name (it is really good!) :-P

mintsauce

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:25 pm

I wanted to love this, really I did. It's obviously been put together with a lot of love, humour and care. That effort carries you along for the first few hours, until the lack of any actual game becomes apparent....

Combat, despite the much lauded buffs/debuffs approach is entirely predictable. Arrive with enough firepower and healing buffs and you'll easily trounce the enemy, regardless of each ships supposed weaknesses.

Ship stats are also a mess, for example each Tier tends to offer 2 new variants of the core types, but there's no clear reason why you'd go for one over another.

But mainly, despite a half decent narrative, the whole game does not create any impetus to return. I never felt impelled, or under pressure to make my next move, other than to complete the next line on the spreadsheet grind.

Perhaps this would make a great multiplayer game, but as it stands, it is not "compelling" or "fun".

3 out of 5 (5 for effort though...)

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”