admin
Site Admin

Asmodee Digital to Publish Select Playdek Titles on Mobile

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:39 pm

Asmodee Digital is continuing it’s inexorable march towards their conquest of the mobile boardgame space. We received word last night that they’ve struck a deal with Playdek, the legends behind...

http://www.pockettactics.com/articles/a ... on-mobile/

marcnelsonjr

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:10 pm

Great games that could use some love. Ascension on Steam really needs some work.

butzopower

Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:59 pm

Guessing this is probably RIP PlayDek. Still pretty much the gold standard when it comes to async push notifications. Shame they seemed to get in over their heads after having a seemingly great start.

EICJoe

Re: Asmodee Digital to Publish Select Playdek Titles on Mobile

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:25 pm

I wouldn't be so sure. It probably definitely would have been RIP if they hadn't done something like this. Publishing & Marketing can be costly, so partnering with someone to do it would free up money and resources they could spend on the games instead.

I think it would have been more a case of RIP if, for example, the whole catalogue had gone over to Asmodee, but it's only these select titles for now.

Time will tell - I think there may be something wrong over there but hopefully this move isn't too little too late.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

alexsem6

Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:21 pm

Yay! Ascension is finally going to be updated! It has been almost a year already...

Narkulus

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:15 am

Cough!...Unsung Story...Cough!...

butzopower

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:53 am

What titles (plural) does PlayDek even have left? They still have Lords of Waterdeep which has reviewed pretty poorly since they last updated it. Nightfall is no longer on the App Store. Their other card games are missing. My guess is they don't have engineers, and everything's atrophied. It's a shame as they were my favorite mobile dev for a long time - I have 500+ games in Ascension - but they flew too close to the sun, it seems.

MetaKirby

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:53 pm

I guess I don't understand where the lines are drawn between publishing and developing here. Playdek already released these games on mobile. Is this just a management piece of the business, or does this mean we should expect a full overhaul of these games, like the recent Asmodee version of Carcassonne?

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”