admin
Site Admin

Pocket Tactics Presents: A (Quick) Guide to HexWar Games on Mobile

Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:00 pm

HexWar games are easily identifiable in the app store by their corner icon of a green die that doubles as a hex shape (and, if you look closely, has hex-shaped...

http://www.pockettactics.com/guides/hex ... ick-guide/

Loozr37

Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:44 pm

Thanks for this Hexwar Special, PT.
I bought some of their games ages ago and I simply didn't like the style, feel and quality.
I'm interested in 1812 though since this one is rumoured to be a decent digital implementation. Anyone has any thoughts on that latter? Or on other Hexwar gems I may have missed due to my biased mind? :-)

DonCzirr

Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:58 pm

I bought 1775 (same basic design as 1812) when it was on sale and so far it is fun and has the general "flavor" of the time period. Just don't expect a detailed historical study. That is not what the game was intended for anyway.

I will pick up 1812 the next time it goes on sale as well.

If you own an iPAD, my strongest recommendation is for Command and Colors The Great War. It had and still has some card mechanics issues but it is a lot of fun. It's the type of game you could play as a pick up game, sit down with a new friend and have a blast. Atmosphere, music and art are all A+ on that game.

I also like Assault on Arnhem - the limited command points is not my cup of tea but once you adapt and get used to it, the game can be challenging and has a good "old time" SPI feel of large board war games.

I don't like any of the Eastern Front style games - they are way to crowded, no room to maneuver and the lack of specific turn controls makes the mechanics for flanking and rear shots poor.

I like Battles of the Ancient World full collection. It's like a sampler of various eras, with "light" realism and mechanics. Don't expect FOG II but if you just want some light battles with a historical flavor, it can be fun.

Really looking forward to Command and Colors Ancients - based on the excellent WWI version, I have very high hopes !

Loozr37

Re: Pocket Tactics Presents: A (Quick) Guide to HexWar Games on Mobile

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:21 pm

Oh! Thanks a lot for that great summary. You just made me buy Command and Colors :-)
1775 and 1812 has been put on the wish list. Oh...Assault on arnhem as well :-)
Thanks DonCzirr!
I really appreciate this

DonCzirr

Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:05 pm

NP - hope you enjoy them !

Pocket Tactics staff - this was a nice article - but what would be really great is if you guy could do an interview with Hexwar.

They are not the best at answering customer questions or keeping their Developer blogs updated - so it would be really interesting to know what their current status is in terms active projects, long term goals, struggles they face etc .... atm they are a bit of a black box.

EICJoe

Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:39 pm

NP - hope you enjoy them !

Pocket Tactics staff - this was a nice article - but what would be really great is if you guy could do an interview with Hexwar.

They are not the best at answering customer questions or keeping their Developer blogs updated - so it would be really interesting to know what their current status is in terms active projects, long term goals, struggles they face etc .... atm they are a bit of a black box.
To be fair, they're not great at talking to us either ;)

Will see if we can do a check-in with them though.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

DonCzirr

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:41 pm

Thanks Joe - hope you guys can drag them out of their game development cave for a bit :D

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”