admin
Site Admin

Does Battle Royale have a long-term future on mobile?

Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:27 am

The video game industry is constantly chasing the hottest and most lucrative trends. From military shooters to virtual reality, there is always a new concept asserting its dominance – this...

http://www.pockettactics.com/articles/d ... on-mobile/

acedout

Re: <t>Does Battle Royale have a long-term future on mobile?</t>

Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:29 pm

Although not my genre of choice, it shocks me to learn that no controller support has been added to the iOS version. With MfI support, I don’t see what this can’t compete with PC versions in terms of playability and competitiveness.

EICJoe

Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:58 pm

Although not my genre of choice, it shocks me to learn that no controller support has been added to the iOS version. With MfI support, I don’t see what this can’t compete with PC versions in terms of playability and competitiveness.
Might be something they look into when the Android version rolls out, but yeah, that is an odd one.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Newtzilla

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:27 pm

I do not understand the appeal of these games on mobile. Maybe because people don't have dedicated access to another platform? If I am going to spend a significant amount of time playing a multiplayer match, I want to do it on my PC or in front of my TV. That doesn't even factor in the nightmare of a UI and control scheme these games have.

I have had much more entertainment with games like Shadowgun Legends or Paladins Strike on mobile that offer quick (<5 min) matches, but full featured game-play. Sadly a lot of them do have influences from the mobile F2P market.

RoccoD

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:32 am

I absolutely don't get why people play such games on mobile.
Actually I don't get the hype about BR games overall, no matter if desktop or mobile.

EICJoe

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:01 am

I tried out PUBG a few years ago back when it was just the 'Battlegrounds' mod for ArmA III. It is quite fun, to be fair - It evokes a lot of 'Hunger Games' vibes in the way you need to find a weapon, stay alive and ahead of the shrinking world and ultimately find and kill your opponents to come out on top.

I don't really understand what's made BR popular right now - maybe just a perfect storm of circumstances - but I can somewhat appreciate their appeal and the surprisingly high level of tactical depth that can go into these games.

But you're right the UI and controls makes these games an entirely different beast on mobile. Whether they have any staying power remains to be seen, but you can't fault them on their business model at least - it's purely cosmetic driven.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”