admin
Site Admin

Pocket Tactics Presents: The Reader's Choice Game of the Year Award 2018

Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:10 pm

While we're always experimenting with how best to handle the GOTY awards, one thing we will never change is giving you guys the opportunity to speak your own minds.

http://www.pockettactics.com/articles/r ... year-2018/

Hustlertwo

Re: <t>Pocket Tactics Presents: The Reader's Choice Game of the Year Award 2018 </t>

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:41 pm

Very cool, I always enjoy seeing these. Going to make a dark horse run at that Wildcard nomination for my game Nuclear Powered Toaster; sure, it likely won't happen, but you miss 100% of the shots blah blah blah and so on.

How will it work for games that come out this month, like Rebels Inc.? Would they be eligible next year or they just get the short end of the stick?
Please check out my interactive fiction comedy Nuclear Powered Toaster, available on iOS, Google Play, Steam and Amazon!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... redtoaster

EICJoe

Re: <t>Pocket Tactics Presents: The Reader's Choice Game of the Year Award 2018 </t>

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:53 pm

Very cool, I always enjoy seeing these. Going to make a dark horse run at that Wildcard nomination for my game Nuclear Powered Toaster; sure, it likely won't happen, but you miss 100% of the shots blah blah blah and so on.

How will it work for games that come out this month, like Rebels Inc.? Would they be eligible next year or they just get the short end of the stick?
It's probably going to get short-end of the stick, but of course it depends on what score it gets.

Unfortunately Ndemic haven't been able to supply us with code for Rebel Inc., so I had to have Richard go buy it, which caused a delay on getting the review done. If it does get a 5 and the review gets published before the half-way point I may alter the form, and I've set it so that people can go back and edit their responses so you can change your mind on things up till the 21st where I'll close the form.

But it happened with Civ VI and a couple others - released too late in the year to make the cut. I'm not saying they should base their release dates on when we do our voting, but at the same time I'm not going to compromise the vote just because a game decides to leave it till the last minute or is slow in facilitating our coverage.

Re: the Wildcard... I'm not just going to tally up names and talk about who got most, I'm going to do a highlight reel of nominations based on numbers, outlandishness, etc... if you write some good words to go with your nomination, there's more chance it'll get featured regardless of how many votes it gets. The wildcard is mean't to be a celebration more than a popularity contest.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Hustlertwo

Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:31 pm

Didn't realize the writeup would be public. Mind if I do one here instead? I already voted so I can't redo mine. And getting featured is one of the things I'm shooting for anyhow. Been enjoying this site for several years, be cool to see NPT up there no matter how brief the mention.
Please check out my interactive fiction comedy Nuclear Powered Toaster, available on iOS, Google Play, Steam and Amazon!

EICJoe

Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:47 pm

Didn't realize the writeup would be public. Mind if I do one here instead? I already voted so I can't redo mine. And getting featured is one of the things I'm shooting for anyhow. Been enjoying this site for several years, be cool to see NPT up there no matter how brief the mention.
You should be able to go back and edit your response? Let me know if it's not working, the intention was to enable that feature... but then I think you have to sign in to google for it to work?

But ya, feel free to leave it here if you want :)

Typically, Rebel Inc. review came in today and I'm about to go publish it... guess I will have to alter that form XD
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Hustlertwo

Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:59 pm

Okay, I edited it. Let me know if y'all are looking for any more than that. Thanks!

Oh, and the question about Rebel was more just out of curiosity. I don't think it'll change my vote from Meteorfall. It's definitely up there with Solitairica and the vaunted Dream Quest as the best card games on mobile (or off it, I imagine).

Mgdpublic1

Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:52 pm

I'm puzzled by Meterfall's win because I think it's a big step down from other Dream Quest-likes. I think the developers were too enamored with the idea of a swipe right/swipe left game mechanic and didn't see how it removed quite a bit of strategy. You can no longer hold back cards, can't time cards for Max damage effect, among other strategies. The one card mechanic turns it into a pure deck builder and leaves half the strategy on the table. Terrible design.

rainmanpepe

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:33 pm

I agree with MGDPUBLIC1. I purchased the game yesterday (Jan 24) and finished it the next day. There is very little strategy involved other than deciding which cards to try to include/exclude from your deck and even that is mostly left to chance as you have no control over which cards will be offered at various points in the game. I still enjoyed it but it's a light and fluffy game that can hopefully encourage a new set of gamers to delve into deeper deck building strategy games. Don't be turned off by my review.. just don't expect deep strategy if you decide to try this light and fun game.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”