admin
Site Admin

Twelve Games of Christmas

Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:57 pm

Ok, I’m going to level with you right away… there’s only three apps. Maybe four. I’m a sucker for a catchy title and I had made an endeavour to play...

http://www.pockettactics.com/articles/t ... christmas/

Hustlertwo

Re: <t>Twelve Games of Christmas</t>

Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:42 pm

I really don't know what to say about that Final Fantasy Tactics mention. Tactics Advance is to Final Fantasy Tactics what Mystic Quest is to Final Fantasy 6. You may well be the first person to be disappointed the original game is not more like it.
Please check out my interactive fiction comedy Nuclear Powered Toaster, available on iOS, Google Play, Steam and Amazon!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... redtoaster

EICJoe

Re: <t>Twelve Games of Christmas</t>

Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:56 pm

I really don't know what to say about that Final Fantasy Tactics mention. Tactics Advance is to Final Fantasy Tactics what Mystic Quest is to Final Fantasy 6. You may well be the first person to be disappointed the original game is not more like it.
It probably doesn't help that the only game of the series I've played is FFTA. Never played the original when it was out.

Disappointed is perhaps the wrong word anyway. It's not what I thought i was buying and the interface quirks/lack of a quick save irks me, but I know I'll enjoy it when I have a chance to give it a proper go.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

biffpow

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:42 am

FFT is one of my favorite video games ever. And I have it on ios, but I find I never play it there. I just pull out the old PSP and have a go there. The controls are just not really very good on ios (IMO), and I think I have some sort of learned trigger-response on PSP--I played it so often when it came onto that system that I don't have to think about what buttons take me to what menus, I just seem to know.

All of that is basically to say, I see where you're coming from, but also, it's an amazing game if you can devote a little time to get past the learning curve. And maybe ios isn't the right platform (especially if you're playing it on a phone...you're NOT trying to play it on a phone are you?). Though PSP and ios are mobile systems (technically), it's not really a mobile game in the "pick up and play" sense at all.

Has your wife tied Triple Town? Mine has been playing it for years and it never seems to get old. She also loves Ticket to Ride, but we sprung for a number of extra maps, so it also doesn't easily get old.

A happy early birthday to you, sir!

Falkenstein

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:48 am

Happy upcoming "Joe's Birthday"! And thank you for the enjoyable article! :)

Avaniar

Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:45 am

Well the comments response to the FFT critic was expected... and seriously you are probably the first person I know who says that about FFTA vs FFT, but I agree! FFTA is a simple game. Sure it ia tactical, but it is not as cumbersome as FFT, which in my opinion makes it more suited for "on the go".

EICJoe

Re:

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:08 am

(especially if you're playing it on a phone...you're NOT trying to play it on a phone are you?).
Err.... *hides Samsung S7 from View*

I'm definitely with you with the learned habits as far as controlling goes though. I kept wanting to tap a shoulder button to rotate the battle view around.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”