admin
Site Admin

Review: Evolution: The Video Game

Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:52 am

Charles Darwin claimed, “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, not the most intelligent that survives.

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/ev ... ideo-game/

anto

Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:35 pm

quoting from review:

"there appears to be a lot of dead space on the screen. The watering hole takes up a large chunk of space, maybe at the expense of larger, easier to read cards."

that was the first feedback I gave when I received the first beta last year, seems it was pointless to point it out :-)

Fast forward to today: after updating from beta to release version (1.0.1), I have been rewarded with, shall I say, impressively large app loading time (~1 minute to start a local game) culminating with fabulous crashes. And yes, I have deleted then reinstalled the app, also rebooted the device, no luck (if there is a such thing ...).

Hopefully I am not the only one to have experienced such joys, so that the developers may have incentives to check things out, else I guess I'll see myself out ...

EICJoe

Re: <t>Review: Evolution: The Video Game</t>

Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:50 pm

For what it's worth, I had some slowness loading into games when I was checking it out on my Galaxy S6 phone. Thought it was just because it's a slightly older phone but maybe some of the graphical elements aren't optimised properly.

I would have thought if Matt had encountered any serious lag he would have mentioned it though, but then he usually does his reviews on a decent iPad.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

mintsauce

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:40 pm

Doesn’t seem optimised for larger iPhones. Depending on the game screen/orientation there are noticeable black bars.

acedout

Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:17 pm

Runs fine on my iPad Pro. Not a single crash. Neat game but sure, space is not optimised. Boy, that's a large lake!

EICJoe

Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:54 am

Runs fine on my iPad Pro. Not a single crash. Neat game but sure, space is not optimised. Boy, that's a large lake!
I also feel the 3D element is probably unnecessary (and may not be helping with technical issues on older devices, perhaps. Go big or go home, I guess?
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

wrench04

Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:11 am

For what it's worth, I had some slowness loading into games when I was checking it out on my Galaxy S6 phone. Thought it was just because it's a slightly older phone but maybe some of the graphical elements aren't optimised properly.

I would have thought if Matt had encountered any serious lag he would have mentioned it though, but then he usually does his reviews on a decent iPad.
Give it a try today guys and it should be quite a bit better, we pushed a patch Saturday that made things run much faster on Android phones, and also will fix the overheating issue some were getting.

wrench04

Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:17 am

Doesn???t seem optimised for larger iPhones. Depending on the game screen/orientation there are noticeable black bars.
Hi Mintsauce, we'll get the optimizations for the Ultrawide phones out in the next couple of weeks.

wrench04

Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:22 am

quoting from review:

"there appears to be a lot of dead space on the screen. The watering hole takes up a large chunk of space, maybe at the expense of larger, easier to read cards."

that was the first feedback I gave when I received the first beta last year, seems it was pointless to point it out :-)

Fast forward to today: after updating from beta to release version (1.0.1), I have been rewarded with, shall I say, impressively large app loading time (~1 minute to start a local game) culminating with fabulous crashes. And yes, I have deleted then reinstalled the app, also rebooted the device, no luck (if there is a such thing ...).

Hopefully I am not the only one to have experienced such joys, so that the developers may have incentives to check things out, else I guess I'll see myself out ...
Hi Anto,
What device are you on? We did some things with the just released patch to improve things on Android devices, and also found out that the Play Store wasn't restricting older devices that couldn't run the game from downloading it, both of thse things are fixed now. It does require an OS that google currently supports to run, either OS 8 or OS 9. Hope it works a little better for you now!

Scott

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”