admin
Site Admin

This is The Police 2 Review

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:36 am

The first This is The Police tried to replicate the fine line Hollywood has been walking for decades when it comes to its portrayal of the men and women of...

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/th ... -police-2/

wignersfriend

Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:41 pm

"If you???ve seen stills from the recently released Untitled Goose Game, think that kind of abstract art, but with a darker hue."

Abstract? I'm pretty sure if the art represents recognisable objects, like a goose or a pig, then it's not abstract. The word you're looking for is probably "stylized".

"They look great, but these cutscenes are almost always too long. Many of these exposition dumps have the incredibly arduous writing to thank for their length. Dialogue often goes waaay too long. These character exchanges are clearly inspired by movies like Reservoir Dogs, but completely lack their tact or brevity."

It's really surprising to me how many games still bother to have boring, badly written cutscenes. In this case, it seems like the game's director was also the writer, so maybe there was just no quality filter in place, but even in AAA titles, with dedicated videogames 'writers', 98% of the time cutscenes are just unwatchable dreck to me.

Videogames are an active medium, so if you want me to sit and watch something passively for minutes at a time, the content has to be even *more* interesting than a comparable film or TV scene. But the typical cutscene is so badly written that it would be rejected for even the worst direct-to-video movie. I can only think of a handful of games that didn't have me mashing the "skip" button for every scene.

You'd think by now that games publishers would have enough data collection in place to see that the cutscenes they've spent money on are just getting skipped. Or maybe I'm unusual and most people have a way higher tolerance for terrible cutscenes?

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”