admin
Site Admin

The Weekender: Home Edition

Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:42 am

It’s felt like a very busy week - plenty of news to write-up, and I’ve been experimenting with a wider range of topics and angles to see what happens as...

http://www.pockettactics.com/articles/b ... 31st-2020/

HumbleSloth

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:12 pm

For Dungeon Faster I notice: "Only in-app purchases are donations to support me!"
So seems safe for those suspicious of games with IAP.
Last edited by HumbleSloth on Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Triggercut

Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:27 pm

Maze Machina looks weird, the characters look ridiculous, and it's hard to tell, at a glance, what the heck it is. It doesn't look interesting enough for people to care to figure out what it is. It's not the pricing, or how he needs to monetize his products, put out a better game.

Hustlertwo

Re:

Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:20 pm

Maze Machina looks weird, the characters look ridiculous, and it's hard to tell, at a glance, what the heck it is. It doesn't look interesting enough for people to care to figure out what it is. It's not the pricing, or how he needs to monetize his products, put out a better game.
This is a tad harsh but not completely inaccurate. I have no doubt some of the earnings bleedoff is because of Apple Arcade and the continued rise to dominance of freemium games. I also have no doubt quite a bit of the drop in earnings can be attributed to two major factors not mentioned: momentum (that's a really long time between releases, compared to how much closer together Miracle Merchant, Card Thief and Card Crawl released, which means TTT just isn't on people's minds as much these days) and game accessibility. Honestly, I have diminished returns with their titles; Card Crawl remains my favorite, getting far more play than CT and Miracle Merchant. And this one I am already in the process of bouncing off of, I can tell. The inconsistent respawn of defeated automatons (who, really, shouldn't be respawning at all) and randomization of the levels makes progress feel less like a reward for skill or strategy and more like dumb luck. I will likely play it until I can complete all 15 levels. I would wager good money that after that, I never boot it up again.

By comparison, I am enjoying a similar run of poor luck with the new Meteorfall character, but I'm having a lot more fun failing there. And I know when I go down it was due to my own poor choices in deckbuilding rather than the capricious whims of fate. That helps a lot in extending goodwill toward a difficult game. Maze Machina isn't terrible, but it simply isn't as fun as I used to expect and now just hope to get from Tiny Touch Tales. And at this point me buying their next outing is highly in doubt.
Please check out my new interactive fiction story, The Parenting Simulator, available on iOS, Google Play, and Amazon!

https://www.choiceofgames.com/user-cont ... sercontrib

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”