JammaTal

Re: Stage Two is complete: Welcome to Pocket Tactics 3.0

Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:14 pm

still can't upload my old Avatar. nothing special, just an old low res ipad 1 shot. :?

pixelgeek

Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:21 pm

still can't upload my old Avatar. nothing special, just an old low res ipad 1 shot. :?
What browser are you using?
Pocket Tactics staff writer and Forum Moderator.

biffpow

Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:44 pm

Ok, now I get it. The site looks and interfaces horribly on laptops and desktops, but everyone is noting how much better it is to use on mobile devices. I now understand what was behind this redesign across the wargamer brand. I guess catering to mobile interfaces sort of makes sense for a site devoted to mobile strategy games. As someone who uses the site 99% of the time on a laptop, I rather hate the new-with-extra-clutter, oh-and-have-you-seen-this-other-clutter UI, but I'll try to get used to it.

Long live PT in whatever form!

JammaTal

Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:47 pm

What browser are you using?
hello, i reduced the size to 90x69 and could upload my avatar then. in fact it's looking better now than in old forum.

rinelk

Recent posts

Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:48 pm

I made the jump over to the new forums, I was a fan of the "Recent Discussions" option in VanillaForums, will endeavor to make the adjustment to the new system.
The new forums don't make easy to find, but right under the search box in the upper left corner, there's an icon with three horizontal lines. One of those replicates the "Recent Discussions" option with reasonable fidelity.

whovian223

Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:42 pm

Now that I've had a chance to explore the new forums a bit, I actually really like them.

I like the choice between browsing unread posts (as suggested above) or just visually seeing which forums have unread posts in them and going to each one.

Navigating the forums is really easy. On the old forums, I always opened a discussion in a new tab because I found it annoying having to go back to the discussion list (maybe I was missing something). Here, the bread crumbs make it simple.

Not sure what I think of the new site design itself (some preview text would definitely be helpful!), but consider me a new forum fan at least.

BoxCanMan

Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:49 pm

Long time reader, first time poster.

Like the new layout, but want to offer up a quick suggestion. Many studies have shown the optimal characters per line is 50-75 (one example: http://baymard.com/blog/line-length-readability). This new site design is at 110-125 characters per line.

Simply shrinking the width of the content will make it way easier for us to read all the good content you produce! I think this is why you see everyone saying the site looks great on mobile, not so much on desktop. While it may look prettier, it's just harder for us to read the content now.

Here is a quick, simple change that I think makes the content much easier to read: http://screencast.com/t/U68CRYDaasd3 (screenshot).

Keep up the great work, Cheers!

Igormetall

Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:33 pm

Reporting for duty.

Aaahhhh, that New-Site-Smell! Well, I am a bit sad my old profile has gone bye-bye - those 14 Likes and Awesomes were hard earned...

On the other hand in the past year Vanilla forums denied me access like a 800 pound gorilla door-man: I tried countless times to log in... never worked, no matter what device/computer.

So, three cheers for progress!

Igormetall

Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:40 pm

Humm... what I did like though in the old forums was the Recent Posts tab. Not sure I will be checking each and every single sub-forum for new posts.

This might be one for the improvement list.

Edit:
Already missing the Like/Awesome/Whatnot-buttons. :(

Falkenstein

Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:09 pm

Falkenstein wrote:I made the jump over to the new forums, I was a fan of the "Recent Discussions" option in VanillaForums, will endeavor to make the adjustment to the new system.
The new forums don't make easy to find, but right under the search box in the upper left corner, there's an icon with three horizontal lines. One of those replicates the "Recent Discussions" option with reasonable fidelity.
Thank you, I had not seen that option! :)

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”