admin
Site Admin

Digital Wishlist: Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection

Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:48 pm

Dave has recently chronicled [with Day 2 coming later this week -ed.] a tabletop extravaganza of a weekend which not only induced envy, but also gave him some insight into a...

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/digit ... urrection/

OBollocks

Re: Digital Wishlist: Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection

Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:44 pm

I was George Washington. I was Wolfe Tone. I was Tone Lōc. I was an anonymous British soldier taking an arrow to the knee. I was the Last of the Mohicans. I was Sara's toga. I was the French blockade. I was Spanish brocade. I was Cornplanter. I planted corn. I was corn. I was eaten. I was Rochambeau. I Roshamboed.

My being subsumed into the theme was immediate and infinite. My fingertips were bayonets, my heart pumped French-imported gunpowder, I bled redcoats and wept militia. I touched my Liberty Bell until it cracked and leaked patriotism. I did a Benedict Arnold in my pants.

I Paul Revere this game.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

rinelk

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:31 pm

I read that and said to myself, "we have to hire this guy". Did you change your avatar, man?

OBollocks

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:34 pm

I'm afraid so, as I can't log in with Twitter any more. And even if I could, no 20KB sized box can hold me. Good article, squire. Very sound dissection.

iBaLkiD

Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:24 pm

I was George Washington. I was Wolfe Tone. I was Tone Lōc. I was an anonymous British soldier taking an arrow to the knee. I was the Last of the Mohicans. I was Sara's toga. I was the French blockade. I was Spanish brocade. I was Cornplanter. I planted corn. I was corn. I was eaten. I was Rochambeau. I Roshamboed.

My being subsumed into the theme was immediate and infinite. My fingertips were bayonets, my heart pumped French-imported gunpowder, I bled redcoats and wept militia. I touched my Liberty Bell until it cracked and leaked patriotism. I did a Benedict Arnold in my pants.

I Paul Revere this game.
I Paul Revere this post. I nominate for post of the year! (You have a imaginary thumbs up from me)

*Edit
How rude of me. The article was tip top! Keep these coming!

Neumannium

Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:07 pm

I was George Washington. I was Wolfe Tone. I was Tone L??c. I was an anonymous British soldier taking an arrow to the knee. I was the Last of the Mohicans. I was Sara's toga. I was the French blockade. I was Spanish brocade. I was Cornplanter. I planted corn. I was corn. I was eaten. I was Rochambeau. I Roshamboed.

I Paul Revere this game.
If any post will force us to reinstate thumbs, it's this one.

Trigati

Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:32 pm

This game does look really good. And honestly, I would love any of the COIN series on a tablet. There's certainly some loss of the tactile feel of a board game, but just the fact the tablet takes care of all the rules without forgetting or misremembering makes things so much nicer.

gibstu

Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:08 am

Great article. Have the COIN series publishers ever stated whether a tablet version is likely?

OBollocks

Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:57 pm

I Paul Revere this post. I nominate for post of the year! (You have a imaginary thumbs up from me)
Why thank you! Early days yet though!
This game does look really good. And honestly, I would love any of the COIN series on a tablet. There's certainly some loss of the tactile feel of a board game, but just the fact the tablet takes care of all the rules without forgetting or misremembering makes things so much nicer.
I think that could be sorted out with some nice audiovisual feedback. If the pieces clicked down, if bases 'clunked' into place like they were settling into a slot, etc. (I know this is missing from Vassal).
Great article. Have the COIN series publishers ever stated whether a tablet version is likely?
GMT have only just entered the digital domain with Twilight Struggle, which is more popular than the entire COIN series put together, so they may not feel the audience is there. One good thing about board games, the only platform you need is a table.

rinelk

Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:17 pm

GMT have only just entered the digital domain with Twilight Struggle, which is more popular than the entire COIN series put together, so they may not feel the audience is there. One good thing about board games, the only platform you need is a table.
GMT also had a ill-fated conversion of Dominant Species, and, just to confirm my recollection that this was the only one of their games to reach digital, I checked, and was wrong--Leaping Lemmings has been on iOS since 2014! My impression is that they were originally seduced by tales of lone developers making their first great games on mobile. They seem to have tried using relatively fresh faces who would keep costs low, because they had very little ability to calculate risk in what, for them, was a new business with unknown costs. So Dominant Species was released without crucial features like online multiplayer, a tutorial, or a decent AI. They tried updating it after release, but lost the developer, then tried again with a different developer (during which I was a beta tester), and lost that one, too. I don't know the state of the app now. Combine that with the trouble Playdek had with getting their teams focused on Twilight Struggle, the switch from an earlier developer who got reasonably far along before abandoning the project, and the overwhelming rise of the manipulative kind of free-to-play, and I wouldn't be surprised if GMT are pretty disgusted with the mobile space right now. I know they've looked into other ports, but they're much more secretive than they were back in the days when they took developer estimates as reasonable educated guesses about how long things would take and what features they could expect.

Basically, my impression is that jerks like me asking for digital versions of their games have visited a series of plagues on GMT's house.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”