admin
Site Admin

Magic Duels steps into the shadows with new expansion

Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:09 pm

When Hearthstone has an expansion on the horizon, everyone knows about it. It's merits are debated even before any cards are revealed, and then Blizzard has the sense to trickle...

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/magic ... expansion/

Mirefox

Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:32 pm

I really do like this game as when it's working, you have a digital CCG that is second to none with quite a lot of free content. The limited format where you may only have 1 of each legendary, 2 of school rare, etc. also makes it much more about strategy than purely OP decks.

I've got this really annoying bug (for me) at the moment where I've got 5 of some Origins commons and only 2 of certain us commons, but it won't let me buy any more boosters to complete my set, which is sitting at 99%. Not a game breaker by any means, but annoying for a completionist.

biffpow

Re: Magic Duels steps into the shadows with new expansion

Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:48 pm

@mirefox: I like your new icon/avatar : ) Though it doesn't look mired enough. Has Magic Duels actually been working well lately? It was riddled, riddled I say! with problems for quite some time (at least in my experience trying it).

I wonder if the MTG gem-matching game will also get an expansion soon.

Mirefox

Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:20 pm

@biffpow Thank! Yeah, he's not too mired, but I liked him when I saw him.

Magic Duels has been working for me for quite some time, now. I think its been functional for me since the Zendikar patch. Now, I don't use all the features as I primarily play duels against the AI or sometimes online - never 2-headed giant. YMMV, though.

biffpow

Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:08 am

I think avoiding two-headed giants is generally good policy in all endeavors. Thanks : )

Niallism

Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:17 am

This is the one you told me about a long time ago, when I posted asking about offline CCGS, isn't it Mirefox?

Mirefox

Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:53 am

I know I've mentioned it in the past, but if we were talking about offline CCGs we must have segued into online CCGs because this is more or less an online affair. Yes, you can play offline, but,you won't be accumulating any gold,or,anything. The campaign, which now has four chapters, is also offline and pretty great, especially for free.

currymutton2016

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:10 am

Frankly, I have yet to test the update.

If you are into single-player of this style, I would recommend Lost Portal CCG for iPhone/iPad, which seems to be not much mentioned by PT
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lost-po ... 91770?mt=8

randiv

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:11 pm

I don't think much of the interface, including the flaw that if the opponent chooses not to block, it doesn't let you respond (e.g. by pumping up an attacker, etc.). However, once you get used to it, the game play does scratch the MTG itch.

However, since updating to the new expansions, all I have been able to do is play the story mode (which I do like) and story quests. Every time I have tried to battle, I either get a system crash (Duels closes and bumps me to the main iPad screen) or I get to the "deck loading" screen (for the AI opponent) and it gets stuck there.

Neo42

Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:36 pm

I wish their game Hecatomb hadn't died out. I much prefer the updated magic mechanics present there. That said I think I might play some more magic duels now that it's apparently being supported as expected.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”