admin
Site Admin

Medieval card game Ortus Regni finds its way to the App Store

Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:27 pm

Last year I stumbled upon the developers of Ortus Regni at Gen Con and was somewhat shocked.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/medie ... app-store/

Js619

Re: Medieval card game Ortus Regni finds its way to the App Store

Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:40 pm

I've played the physical version and it's absolutely beautiful - great presentation too, in its big box with a nice insert. I think I enjoyed it, but I'm embarrassed to admit I have no idea how to play, even after going through the iPad tutorial. Time to watch a video...

iBaLkiD

Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:12 am

Purchased! Downloading now!

Pitta

Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:57 am

It looks great and deep, but I admit that while I completed the tutorial 2 times already, I have absolutely no idea of what I'm doing.

Like, at all.

LordGek

Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:26 pm

It looks great and deep, but I admit that while I completed the tutorial 2 times already, I have absolutely no idea of what I'm doing.

Like, at all.
Same issue here. I can't believe the originality and great levels of polish all for free without any strings attached, but barely get what's going on after watching the tutorial a couple of times. I'm sure I'm 80% there with just a few minor connective bits still unclear, but the tutorial did pull a few bits where it seems like they threw in an up to that point never hinted at mechanic, as if already explained earlier, and then kept right on plowing through.

What would probably help one's viewing of the tutorial greatly is watching it WITH a card reference sheet at the ready. The game only has 15 cards, and while, for the most part, they do a decent job of quickly summing up each card's function, there are some cases where it almost feels like the tutorial presenter forgets that we, the audience, have never seen any of these cards before and thus have no idea WHY you would have us play the stated card.

tactfulgamer

Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:00 pm

I am understanding a lot more now. This guy does an amazing breakdown in a series of videos showcasing the different deck styles on his YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... SFD-zcnwRn

Thanks to magic (duels of the planeswalkers) background I actually understand what's going on. Very sophisticated design. I am impressed. I usually get bored fast with card games that are not magic not even hearthstone held me and I hate magics luck/RNG heavy system. This game lessens those.

Have you guys downloaded the free reference guide that created by the dev of this game? (Search the same name of the game on AppStore) it's available on iPhone & iPad. Very good reference.

Some simple tips:
If you have two armies but only one land (you can only block and/or attack with one army) having a market in the same feif (feif as in connected cards) as that land and army will double the effect of armies you can recruit (2 instead of one)

More land allows you to control more armies for when you attack/defend. Example, if opponent has 3 armies and 3 land cards... but you destroy two of his land cards, he effectively cannot use the other two armies. They just sit there until he builds lands activate them.

Duplicate cards in hand? throw them up as towers. Defend yourself. Duplicate cards of cards already in play? Market, church, whatever - Tower them up. But...

Until you develop some kind internal strategy and understanding. (Which I still am) Keep at least a copy of your banner and prince so you can bequeath your prince (reshuffle all cards in your graveyard into your library) *gotta have a prince in a palace though to activate this ability* and it doesn't just activate it costs an action.

Sometimes, start a joust for his lands/property or whatever you ante up for to bet. If you don't think he has a banner in his hand - pop off! Learn this mechanic win or lose. It's an excellent mini game within the game. Turned shit around for me at one point when I was losing.

The YouTube playlist I linked above taught me a lot, but most of the knowledge came *after I played the game* for around 30min, went online, almost won, but lost because I didn't understand the attack mechanic good enough. I was aiming for his castle, I had more attackers but he had enough blockers so, attacks wasn't getting through. Anyways, post 30min gaming session I watch the YouTube videos again and it's like a water fountain of fresh water to a thirsty man. I gained way more insight.

The only free action is towering (from what I've acknowledged so far) tower all you want.

These are my noob tips as I am still a noob myself. But I thoroughly understand what's going on. I see how malleable the board can become with deceit and political tactics. Game of Thrones type shit.

tactfulgamer

Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:05 pm

^^^ Forgot to mention the YouTube playlist I linked above is from the digital version of the game not physical version like the video linked in the article.

iBaLkiD

Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:50 pm

This game is brilliant! Super fun once you get past the medium learning curve. The videos posted by Tacfulgamer will help you immensely!

I am going to get the physical version as well. Thats how swell i think it is!

tactfulgamer

Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:14 pm

This game is brilliant! Super fun once you get past the medium learning curve. The videos posted by Tacfulgamer will help you immensely!

I am going to get the physical version as well. Thats how swell i think it is!
Thank you. Yep just like you, I purchased the physical game that's how impressed I was.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OrtusRegni/s ... 7993753600

Kolbex

Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:00 am

This app is very slick. We should think about a tournament...

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”