MetaKirby

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:26 pm

Game is great as expected, though experience not without flaws on iPad Air. Almost every action has a lag, game don't handle touches well - many times I've had to press some card/icon twice to make it work.
Also I noticed that Quest mode doesn't work at all, when I choose normal game app always freezes on loading and I don't know yet how to avoid it.
So I can say that it's very far from polished.
For what it's worth, the game runs smooth on my older iPad 4. I haven't seen any issues where it didn't recognize a touch action, except maybe drag and drop when creating a party.

My installation of iOS is out of date, so not sure if that would have anything to do with it.

On a different note, I was thinking of recording a Let's Play/how-to-play walkthrough , and maybe explain some of the game mechanics in more depth. If I get around to it I'll post a link.

Snotty128

Re: Pathfinder Adventure Card Game finally arrives on the App Store

Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:28 am

I just wanted to echo a couple of the thoughts already in the thread.

The tutorial does a good job of making the game seem far more complicated than it is. I was daunted at the start of my first game, but comfortable by the time I had finished it.

Theres some jankiness with rolling the dice, specifically getting your finger stroke to register when trying to roll the dice. I have a feeling its when the low health haze is flashing, perhaps there is too much going on on screen for it to register my command properly. Im on ipad4, for what its worth.

The game seems pretty neat. I hope the content unlocks at a reasonable pace and I dont have to do any grinding.

Thornsnag

Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:56 am

I think I'll end up buying the season pass on my iPad, and see how far I can get unlocking stuff for free on my Android phone (since it almost always has a network connection, and I prefer my premium board game experiences on my iPad anyway.)
The devs said on Reddit AMA and on the forum boards that they were looking into a Star Realms digital model where you buy it for one platform and get it on your account for the others. Worth looking into.

Mysterio

Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:07 am

Theres some jankiness with rolling the dice, specifically getting your finger stroke to register when trying to roll the dice. I have a feeling its when the low health haze is flashing, perhaps there is too much going on on screen for it to register my command properly. Im on ipad4, for what its worth.
It's a known issue.

currymutton2016

Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:25 am

Just to put it in perspective, Pathfinder Adventures costs $25 for all the Season 1 content, which is essentially the entire Rise of the Runelords campaign plus the character add-ons. Without any particular sales, Sentinels of the Multiverse costs $30 for all of the Season 1 content. Whether or not this is too much is a personal opinion, but they are fairly consistent price-wise, the only difference being that Pathfinder has a whole slew of other purchase options including in-game currency, individual scenarios, and individual characters.

Edit: I guess I forgot that you can also buy individual expansions in Sentinels.
Given that SotM needs a separate app to teach you how to play, well, I cannot put it next to PACG for comparison. :P

Actually the tutorial does not give you everything needed to play the game. Actually the first mission teaches about half of the other stuff you need to know to go on, which can put off noobs like me. But some of the stuff still left unexplained like the use of armor. Guess it is time to visit the rule book

But once you get over it (like losing), the game is quite addicting.

I dunno why Tailsman and Warhammer RPG never appeal to me (I have both apps), but this one seems to click all the right buttons. May put down the US$24.99 in the future.

anto

Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:22 am

I never played the original game, or even read rules, I went through the tutorial and found it did a reasonable job to get a feeling/overview on the most important parts of the turn flow and user interface. The game runs smoothly for me (Samsung tablet), see no issues with touch sensitivity etc ..

The level of polish is quite good and I am enjoying it so far. For newcomers (like me) to the game: just dive in, and in case, grab a rules summary from BGG, like this

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/9439 ... ence-cards

Will play another game or two and if things stay the way they are now, I'll definitely get the season pass, which seems a fair price IMHO.

Pitta

Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:38 am

It's finally here and damn, it was really worth the wait.

Besides a tutorial that could be better for newbies and a problem with rolling dice when you are low on health (I must try 20 times before they register the roll) it's a very well done app and even if I'm just at the start, seems an awesome game.

At work now without my iPad...cant' wait to go home and complete the first quests.

CTD

Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:41 am

Basically after playing the tutorial you are thrown into a mission, which is fine, but I can't find any way to discover what all the interface buttons do, except by poking them, which isn't always helpful. Long press doesn't seem to do anything. Rulebooks and so on are fine, I just can't figure out the UI...
I will try again when I am less sleepy.

halfvoid

Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:57 am

FYI since "Burnt Offering" is on sale for 80% off, you only need to win about 6 quests to have enough gold to get the first expansion.

Mysterio

Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:37 am

For those having issues rolling the dice, turn off Effects in Settings until it's resolved.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”