currymutton2016

Re: Pathfinder Adventure Card Game finally arrives on the App Store

Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:19 pm

Question: what is the icon on the right to the "turns remaining" count?

Mirefox

Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:23 pm

Question: what is the icon on the right to the "turns remaining" count?
The turns in this game are determined by a random deck of 30 blessing cards. That icon is showing you what blessing is showing. Some cards in the game reference the top card of the blessing deck.

halfvoid

Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:24 pm

Also, when you use the generic "Blessing of the Gods" it also acts as whatever the last discarded blessing which you can see by tapping that icon.

Also also, when you discard a blessing that matches the one discarded from the blessing deck, it will be recharged into your deck, instead of discarded.
Last edited by halfvoid on Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mirefox

Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:41 pm

I am hopelessly addicted to playing as Lini. Every set I own, she comes out first. I've never played as Merisiel and man, can she tear it up with her dart right out of the box.

hardco

Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:18 pm

I'm still undecided as to whether this game is for me, but here are some of my issues:

- Some sort of tooltip on the character specific abilities would be nice. I had no idea what the special abilities were, and had to figure out how to get to the character stats to actually read what they did.
- I may have shut down the tutorial early, but I struggled with deck construction at the end of my first mission. It wasn't really intuitive, and I didn't have much of an idea about which cards I wanted in the deck.
- Strategywise, I don't have much of a sense of why you would want all of you party together, or spread to different locations.

halfvoid

Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:36 pm

Yeah, a tooltip while holding your finger on the powers would be awesome.

As far as strategy I typically send at least two characters to a location at a time unless I can have one character in each open location, then I have one on each (keep the boss from running if I can temporarily close all the other locations.)

Mysterio

Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:56 pm

I had no idea what the special abilities were, and had to figure out how to get to the character stats to actually read what they did.
How to access a character's details (stats, Powers, etc.) is explained in the tutorial.
I struggled with deck construction at the end of my first mission. It wasn't really intuitive, and I didn't have much of an idea about which cards I wanted in the deck.
The tutorial doesn't explain this at all.

Each character sheet details the number of each Boon type that must be in the character's deck. At the end of a scenario, each character gathers the cards in his draw pile, hand, discard pile, and those buried. Banished cards are returned to the Vault and can not be used to create the character's new deck. The characters that participated in the scenario are then free to trade their cards with each other.

If there aren't enough cards of a Boon type to fill the requirements of a character (due to cards being banished), the player is allowed to take the deficit number of cards (Basic cards only) from the Vault. Excess cards are returned to the Vault.
Strategywise, I don't have much of a sense of why you would want all of you party together, or spread to different locations.
Certain characters excel when alone in a Location, while others benefit from being in certain Locations (check the Location effects). Having more than one character at a Location will allow those characters to modify each others' checks (some cards and Powers require characters to be at the same Location). However, some Banes will damage all characters at a Location. Also, as long as there's a character at a Location, those Locations are eligible for temporary closure if the active character encounters the Villain.

Pitta

Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:12 pm

I'm midway of the second scenario.
The more you play and more cards you unlock, the better the game gets.

You really start shaping your characters (decks) and you can really start doing all sort of synergies between the various cards.

Really awesome.

Mirefox

Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:21 pm

I'm midway of the second scenario.
The more you play and more cards you unlock, the better the game gets.

You really start shaping your characters (decks) and you can really start doing all sort of synergies between the various cards.

Really awesome.
Yes! This, exactly! The character progression is the reason this game is awesome. Too few people play enough to see that, though. I've read too many reviews from people who have played once or twice and don't care for the game as it is simply "flip a card and deal with it" ad nauseum. What you don't get right away is the great RPG progression that really comes with repeated plays and advancement through the campaign. This isn't a card game like Sentinels, it is an RPG that uses cards as its system.

Pitta

Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:33 pm

Yes! This, exactly! The character progression is the reason this game is awesome. Too few people play enough to see that, though. I've read too many reviews from people who have played once or twice and don't care for the game as it is simply "flip a card and deal with it" ad nauseum. What you don't get right away is the great RPG progression that really comes with repeated plays and advancement through the campaign. This isn't a card game like Sentinels, it is an RPG that uses cards as its system.
At the beginning, expecially if you do not know the rules very well, the gameplay relies on luck most often then not.
The more you play, the more it's based on your own strategies and decisions...which makes progression really wonderful (and of course scenarios are way more difficult).

Loving the game much more than I expected....it's a wonderful mix of two of my favorite digital board games (Elder Sign: Omens and Talisman).

I urge people continue playing even if the tutorial seemed confusing....after some 2-3 complete games in the first real scenario...everything will be clear.

But the full potential of the game will skyrocket as soon as you complete succefully the first story arc, earn some cards and power up your characters.

Too bad quest mode is broken for me...always freezes on loading screen.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”