admin
Site Admin

Two years of Hearthstone, and how Whispers of the Old Gods changes everything

Wed May 04, 2016 4:23 pm

I don’t want to think about the numbers. It’s too scary. But for the sake of journalism, let’s do this. Hearthstone doesn’t track play time, but it does track ranked wins.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/a-loo ... arthstone/

pfail

Wed May 04, 2016 7:44 pm

Finally got around to reviving my forum account just so I could say this is a great read. Perfectly encapsulates some of my thoughts and feelings I've had with the game lately, but with far more insight and articulation than I could muster myself. Would love to see more pieces like this on PT!

biffpow

Wed May 04, 2016 9:23 pm

Agreeing with pfail--great article, Thrower! I'd also like to see more like this.

I'd completely abandoned this game for many, many months. The lure of free packs when Old Gods released brought me back to try it, and I've found it pretty engrossing for the last week or two. Of course, the game is always more interesting right after a new expansions because the meta is all over the place for a while, but it hasn't settled down yet.

And though (to me) many of the old formulas are still played, they aren't as auto-effective as they used to be. I don't know yet whether that's due to the new mechanics of this expansion or some tweaks to the matching algorithm for how your opponents are chosen, but matches are generally less predictable.

I think splitting things between Standard and Wild is the real genius move of this expansion, though. I cannot tell you how delighted I am never to see Dr. Boom anymore. I completely missed League of Explorers, so I'm tempted to use my gold to "buy" entry to those levels--the mini expansions were always a lot of fun, and this one looks like it had some neat cards.

We had a pretty solid pool of friends from PT going in the old days for this--I'm biffpow #1591 if anyone wants to add me.

mattDP

Re: Two years of Hearthstone, and how Whispers of the Old Gods changes everything

Wed May 04, 2016 9:51 pm

Really glad you two enjoyed the piece. I'd love to write more stuff like this, but really it's the sort of piece you can only write about a frequently-changing game that you've had a long love affair with. Sadly, there just aren't all that many games like that.

I'm mattDP#2148 on Battle.Net although I'm on the EU server, so in a different zone to many of you.

Jeff420

Wed May 04, 2016 11:21 pm

Hey Matt Thrower, awesome article as always. I completely agreed with you when you said "Whispers of the Old Gods changes everything" because in reality it does! You're totally right. But these changes are good, and to make the game better so everyone can enjoy the game and have fun.

You can???t have fun when you???re losing all the time though, like me :( I found this Hearthstone Mastery guide and was going to grab it, any advice on whether I should get it or not? Thanks in advance http://gamesinfun.com/learn-hearthstone-mastery. Please help me on this I want to rank up ASAP.

mattDP

Re: Two years of Hearthstone, and how Whispers of the Old Gods changes everything

Thu May 05, 2016 10:48 am

There's no value in paying for a guide like that. All the advice you need is already available for free on the Internet, on sites like Hearthpwn and Icy Veins.

Plus, a lot of Hearthstone is down to experience. There are so many combos and situations that practical advice is of limited use. Just play, think about what's going on, and you'll improve.

pfail

Wed May 11, 2016 9:23 pm

Really glad you two enjoyed the piece. I'd love to write more stuff like this, but really it's the sort of piece you can only write about a frequently-changing game that you've had a long love affair with. Sadly, there just aren't all that many games like that.

I'm mattDP#2148 on Battle.Net although I'm on the EU server, so in a different zone to many of you.
Late response here: I see what you mean, Matt. I was suggesting more articles like this is the sense of checking in with an older game (as opposed to reviewing a just-released game) and sharing how your feelings have changed over time. I think there's been a similar piece or two for Talisman, and I think other games with big expansions could work as well. Really enjoyed the personal/casual edge to this, as opposed to a formal review. Just a thought!

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”