Llamalot

Tue May 10, 2016 3:22 am

The problem is solvable! I ran into that problem last night and the solution is this:

Make sure you highlight one of the characters that did NOT get the card reward before selecting the character that did get the card. Apparently the problem relates to characters leveling up at different rates and thus receiving rewards at different times.

Example: Fighter gets a card reward and he has an ! on his portrait but rogue elf got nothing so she has a red circle dash symbol thing (eg like over No Smoking signs). Tap the rogue's portrait, then tap on fighter for the reward.

Bugs aside I'm really enjoying the game but it really does smash your battery life. Doing it F2P, and have earned enough gold to unlock both scenarios and two new characters (Sione and Valeros) and now have enough for another one. This is from just a few hours a day of play (quite easy if you're addicted to it!)

Toss up between old wizard man and gnome Druid lady.

rinelk

Re:

Tue May 10, 2016 3:41 am

The problem is solvable! I ran into that problem last night and the solution is this:

Make sure you highlight one of the characters that did NOT get the card reward before selecting the character that did get the card. Apparently the problem relates to characters leveling up at different rates and thus receiving rewards at different times.

Example: Fighter gets a card reward and he has an ! on his portrait but rogue elf got nothing so she has a red circle dash symbol thing (eg like over No Smoking signs). Tap the rogue's portrait, then tap on fighter for the reward.
Thank you so much for trying--sadly, this doesn't seem to be working. Fortunately, I just killed the process and left it there, so I seem to be able to continue to get back to that screen every time. I actually have a three-layered problem, with the dwarf ranger picking up a card (but no one else), then the fighter picking up something (but no one else). Tapping on someone else, then him, causes the card to appear, but then it starts shining from off the screen, and I can't tap it to collect.

I'll hold off on doing anything else with the app to see if perhaps I'm doing something wrong, and someone else can suggest another method. I really do appreciate your attempt to help!

Llamalot

Tue May 10, 2016 3:52 am

Oh no that's too bad. See this thread on the Obsidian forums: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/86659- ... eward-bug/

That's where I found my afforementioned workaround.

I think I missed a step in my solution...try making sure the non collecting character is highlighted before you press the blue arrow to continue to the next reward screen.

rinelk

Re:

Tue May 10, 2016 4:10 am

Oh no that's too bad. See this thread on the Obsidian forums: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/86659- ... eward-bug/

That's where I found my afforementioned workaround.

I think I missed a step in my solution...try making sure the non collecting character is highlighted before you press the blue arrow to continue to the next reward screen.
Success! You directed me to the idea that highlighting characters before tapping the blue triangle might matter, and it did. The procedure I needed to do was let my ranger collect his stuff, then highlight the fighter, then tap the triangle. After that, it worked perfectly.

Thank you so much!

Eruion

Tue May 10, 2016 5:36 am

I also found odd at first seeing how the characters can aid each other at distance...I'm now just pretending I'm reading story tidbits chronologically messed up and the party went together in each location....makes more sense to me.
But it's limited, and it makes sense in my opinion. They are usually only able to help by using blessings, which makes sense, it's a blessing of the gods, and a god can help you, no matter where you are. They can't help with melee weapons and the like, though there are (as far as I can remember from the paper version) some ranged stuff that can be used, which is strange, when the other champ is in a cave or something, but I can imagine that the locations are close and he/she found a cave opening so the other character can shoot inside or something. :) If there was some magic that can be used in another location, well that's magic, but even simple stuff, like healing require them to be at the same place, so imho it all makes sense (most of the time).

Pitta

Re: Review: Pathfinder Adventures

Tue May 10, 2016 8:15 am

Yeah it definitively makes sense overall, they wrote the texts very cleverly...probably I just don't like the idea the party is always scattered (keeping it together from the start won't do).
And I actually really like when my chars are all together (usually happens at the end of the game if I'm doing good).

It's the only (very minor) thing I do not like in a otherwise very elegant game.

I can't stop playing too....I *NEED* the iPhone version so I can play at work and when my iPad is recharging too :P

I really hope they will have a TON, and I mean A TON, of new scenarios and campaigns planned with more dungeons, crypts, castles and closed places.

Snarvid

Tue May 10, 2016 1:36 pm

@Pitta: As a strategy note, and not to suggest there's only one way to play, but I do the opposite party grouping strategy in Pathfinder - that is, clump early, spread late. Until you close a couple locations the only reason to spread is to avoid AOE damage and location-bound summons, and with the parties I choose the inter-character synergies (Val, Lem, proximity for Cure Wounds) really reward sticking together. Late game, spreading out to temporarily close locations lets you defeat the villain without needing to fully close every location. I typically shift from clump to spread after I close 3 locations in a 4 player game, letting me run 2 characters in one location and apply the other 2 to locations they are ideally suited to temporarily close. I bring it up because low player games tend to reward closing every location permanently, but as you add players temporary closes become more and more important.

Also, in the tabletop game, at the end of the rules, they have a note that says "Allow for abstractions: Sometimes the story you imagine can get in the way of playing the game. Despite their aquatic nature, Bunyips can be encountered in the House of Stolen Kisses. Caltrops work against Skeletons, even if they don't have flesh on their feet. Jirelle can fire a Pistol from Shark Island to Pinnacle Atoll. Don't force the cards to fit your story; let the cards tell you their stories."

/text wall

rinelk

Re:

Tue May 10, 2016 3:24 pm

.Don't force the cards to fit your story; let the cards tell you their stories."
I have to be honest, I don't understand how that's coherent. If the point is that we should work hard to imagine alternative ways the story could accommodate the cards, okay. It's a mutant bunyip, or the caltrop lodged in the foot of a skeleton and caused it to trip and fall to its death--hey, we've all suffered critical fumbles which took the narrative in an unexpected direction, it happens. But what story that makes any sense can the cards tell me in which a pistol can affect a combat a mile away? I'd much rather they said, "Look, any card-based DM replacement is bound to do some stuff you can't make sense of. Do what you can, but don't overthink it. There isn't always a story worth telling."

Snarvid

Tue May 10, 2016 5:07 pm

Have you ever played Yomi? An attempt to simulate a Street Fighter-style fighting game in card form. You have different cards, representing strikes/blocks/special moves, available to you at different times. The game's argument is not that they are simulating having certain buttons or joystick moves denied to you arbitrarily at different times, but that it represents positionally how only some moves are relevant at any given game state (such as "Don't use a command throw when you're a full screen away from you opponent."). I like to imagine that this is what the hand in Pathfinder represents as well - not that Lem sometimes stupidly leaves home with a crossbow and sometimes not, but that at different times only certain of his abilities or items make sense to use given the particulars of a specific encounter.

The easiest workaround for the pistol is simple proximity - that you're in portions of the two different areas that share common borders. That you're on a boat on Shark Island, and you're close enough to the shore of Cannibal Isle that you can shoot from one to another. In some cases there are more complex story workarounds, such as "Jiri calmly shoots the Necromancer in the face, and miles away his Skeleton minion menacing Lem collapses in a heap."

All that said, "Don't overthink it" is advice that will frequently serve well in many different contexts, so if it's a choice between "Overthink & frown or don't overthink & smile", I think it's wise to choose the latter in a gaming context.

rinelk

Re:

Tue May 10, 2016 5:17 pm

Have you ever played Yomi?
Why, yes. :-) Good analogy, and I like your thoughts about building the tactical situation into the card availability! It makes hand management seem more like situational awareness and tactical acumen, which is very abstract indeed, but not totally nuts. Heck, sometimes you want to take a hit in order to set up something great later, so that makes sense even of some of the more problematic relationships between theme and mechanics.

One way to think about my reaction to that quote is that it seems to hold the storytelling chops of their cards in rather higher esteem than is merited to claim that these are the stories the cards are telling. I'd probably have reacted better to that if it didn't seem like complimenting themselves, but you (and they) are right--it is possible to think about this more generously than I was giving it credit for. I think the cards themselves tend to cause the problems as much as they solve them, but that's the joy of a complicated, sometimes apparently conflicting set of texts which require substantial interpretation--you have the flexibility to make them mean a variety of different things, and can focus on what seems most salient in the current situation.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”