admin
Site Admin

Review: Castles of Mad King Ludwig

Tue May 24, 2016 2:30 pm

Bézier Games know some things about the landscape of gaming. In the tabletop world, the majority of their releases end up quite popular and spawn expansions: One Night Ultimate Werewolf...

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/re ... ng-ludwig/

hardco

Re: Review: Castles of Mad King Ludwig

Tue May 24, 2016 3:16 pm

Board game enthusiasts clearly like to play with others, but Bézier noted that they rarely did so with the Suburbia app
This is a bit of a cop-out given that the Suburbia multiplayer was such a mess.

currymutton2016

Tue May 24, 2016 3:26 pm

The review here mentions Game Center which is not available outside iOS (or more precise, iPad) world. Given that I play a lot of Ticket to Ride Europe, Lost Cities and War of Roses which all depend entirely (afaik) on Game Center, I see no reason why CoMKL cannot, expect the fact mentioned...

I note there is pass-and-play against fellow human beings but giving that I do not live in a community of boardgamers, I think I can safely ignore this feature.

BTW, the tutorial gives most of the basics but a visit to the online help section is a must. The AI is rather harsh, especially to a noob like me.

Js619

Tue May 24, 2016 3:29 pm

Board game enthusiasts clearly like to play with others, but Bézier noted that they rarely did so with the Suburbia app
Ha - I copied that same sentence to post similarly. Suburbia mp was atrociously unplayable, so no one played; ergo, no one must want to play! Sound logic there, Bezier.

ETA: As @whovian223 mentioned elsewhere, lack of online asynch mp equals a pass, methinks. I abhor pass and play, and honestly, if I have a roomful of gamers, we'll break out the physical version. I have enough single player games on my iDevices.

ETA2: Does the @membername not work here?

Zebracadabra

Tue May 24, 2016 3:53 pm

Board game enthusiasts clearly like to play with others, but B??zier noted that they rarely did so with the Suburbia app
Yes, given that folks weren't playing async because the initial versions were buggy.

Hey Ted, if you're reading this, we do want async multiplayer.

geigerm

Tue May 24, 2016 5:44 pm

ETA2: Does the @membername not work here?
Nope, afraid not. A minor irritant, but an irritant nonetheless.

rinelk

Tue May 24, 2016 9:00 pm

Suburbia mp was atrociously unplayable, so no one played; ergo, no one must want to play! Sound logic there, Bezier.
That's a fair criticism of my presentation of their reasoning, but they probably based that inference partly on contextual information, as well--many developers have mentioned that their multiplayer-supporting games get far more single-player play than they expected (I seem to recall hearing that from the Stone Age devs way back, and it's a theme I've seen several times since).

I do think there are good arguments to be made for multiplayer on two fronts. First, if it's a feature which matters most to the most vocal users, it's essentially an investment in advertising via social media. Second, knowing that I have the option to play against humans online adds substantial value to the single-player game, which feels like training for something important (ish) rather than simply a way to please myself. There may be other considerations I haven't thought of, but those two seem like potentially moving counter-arguments to the no-online position. But Castles is still relatively hot in the tabletop world; if development took another year to add online play, that has a potentially serious cost in loss of mindshare and the possibility that it will be eclipsed by a similar, newer game.

Ted Alspach put up a great designer diary on BGG, and it mentions that there was really only one programmer working on it, so a year might not be so exaggerated: https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/5433 ... es-tablets

In it, he mentions that they really wanted to make the game playable on phones. Funny story--I didn't say anything about phones in my review. The one time I thought to check if there was a version on my phone happened to be when the most recent iOS update came through, which interrupted my thought process, and I never remembered to go back. Anyway, as with pretty much everything, I'll always prefer to play on the iPad if I have it available, but when I don't, the phone version is quite satisfactory!

Mirefox

Tue May 24, 2016 9:13 pm

You know what else is (unreasonably) hot in the board gaming world? Splendor. Yet when was the last time anyone's talked about the app? Lack of multiplayer can kill a game that was designed for multiplayer.

whovian223

Wed May 25, 2016 2:27 am

At $10 Canadian, this is a hard sell for me without the chance to play it with my friends who don't live near here. Or my wife when we just want to sit across the room from each other and veg without breaking out the table, getting all the pieces out, sorting them, etc.

Sure, the campaign may be fun, and if it was $7 like Suburbia was (back when the exchange rate was better and iOS apps cost the same for us as they did the Americans, I might have considered it.

Add that multiplayer, and I'm there.

Js619

Wed May 25, 2016 3:51 am

You know what else is (unreasonably) hot in the board gaming world? Splendor. Yet when was the last time anyone's talked about the app? Lack of multiplayer can kill a game that was designed for multiplayer.
I need the awesome button for this one.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”