EICJoe

Re:

Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:38 am

I think Offworld Trading Company does not belong to the list.
RTS is a sub genre of strategy games. Traditionally, strategy games define conflict-based (or faction-based) games.
OTC belongs to "city builder" genre. if it is listed here, the question rises where are Simcity (the granddaddy of all city builders), Settlers series, Anno series, Caesar series (or any of its derivatives from Impressions/Tilted Mill), Cities Skylines, Banished.....

However, what about Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion? I admit I did not play it myself. but it is widely praised and bares "Overwhelmingly Positive" rating over at Steam
SOTS is on our list of excellent space strategy games.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor
Wargamer.com
StrategyGamer.com

delastone

Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:28 am

John Wick Hex is not RTS... subtil WEGO but how can you define this as a RTS since there is ... turns. Putting this on this list doesn't make sense at all . Also putting Close Combat: The Bloody First in this list of best RTS is non sense. The game has been highly criticized for the lack of originality, the bug feast and so on. This is NOT the promising return of the license, in the contrary...

I am very disapointed with your choice to include both of those games...
Are there turns though?

As far as JWH is concerned, all you do is queue up some actions and let them play out, and then the game pauses for you to let you queue up some more.

If that sequence of time was a defined length I'd agree it's more of a 'turn' but it's not - the period of real-time resolution lasts as long as your action does.

I really do not get your point. WEGO is by defintion turn based. What you see on screen between turn is just the resolution of action taken during your turn. This has been around since Firefight. Principles of WEGO is to give the player some time to think about what they do and to let the action run withoug a possibility to know what the other players will do. Putting a different turn resolution but non the less turn based. I will admit it as a RTS if there was an active pause system along the time line. But there is none. Anything you do once you validate the action is going on until next decistion spot. There is nothing you can do in real time. Every decision will happen during your "turn"... So I am really not sure why you define that as a RTS...

EICJoe

Re:

Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:42 am

John Wick Hex is not RTS... subtil WEGO but how can you define this as a RTS since there is ... turns. Putting this on this list doesn't make sense at all . Also putting Close Combat: The Bloody First in this list of best RTS is non sense. The game has been highly criticized for the lack of originality, the bug feast and so on. This is NOT the promising return of the license, in the contrary...

I am very disapointed with your choice to include both of those games...
Are there turns though?

As far as JWH is concerned, all you do is queue up some actions and let them play out, and then the game pauses for you to let you queue up some more.

If that sequence of time was a defined length I'd agree it's more of a 'turn' but it's not - the period of real-time resolution lasts as long as your action does.

I really do not get your point. WEGO is by defintion turn based. What you see on screen between turn is just the resolution of action taken during your turn. This has been around since Firefight. Principles of WEGO is to give the player some time to think about what they do and to let the action run withoug a possibility to know what the other players will do. Putting a different turn resolution but non the less turn based. I will admit it as a RTS if there was an active pause system along the time line. But there is none. Anything you do once you validate the action is going on until next decistion spot. There is nothing you can do in real time. Every decision will happen during your "turn"... So I am really not sure why you define that as a RTS...
You're the one called it WEGO, not me. I'm saying it's not turn-based or WEGO, but a real-time game that pauses between player actions. My argument is that a game can't be turn-based if there's no fixed definition of what a turn is. Just because you can't pause in the middle of an action doesn't mean it's not real-time. It just means you have to see an action through before performing a new one.

The world is still moving on around you as you perform actions, so even though the game may pause when you've completed a move your enemies might actually be mid-way through doing an action because they started it part-way through your action. So actions aren't even taken in sync with each other, which is another reason I don't think it's really turn-based.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor
Wargamer.com
StrategyGamer.com

Marfin_

Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:39 am

...What do you think an RTS is?

Return to “Strategy Gamer Front Page Discussion”