admin
Site Admin

(Eon) Altar of Discovery

Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:56 pm

Before taking over the helm at Pocket Tactics, the website was described to me as a “platform of discovery”, which I felt was a very wonderful thing, and very apt.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/new-blog-post-2/

mschuth

Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:13 pm

"Pocket Gamer"? "In there own words"??

skoptic

Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:27 pm

Lol.... Welcome Joe, not the best start ;)

EICJoe

Re: (Eon) Altar of Discovery

Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:32 pm

Best first day ever!

Fixed now.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

geigerm

Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:38 pm

Best first day ever!

Fixed now.
I'm afraid "It's own standing," "in there own words," and "use their Smartphones has private screens" are still in the article, though ....

EICJoe

Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:45 pm

Best first day ever!

Fixed now.
I'm afraid "It's own standing," "in there own words," and "use their Smartphones has private screens" are still in the article, though ....
Double fixed. I'm not going to lie guys; this stuff isn't my strongest skill.

I know, I know - "Editor-in-Chief". I like to think I was hired for my creative vision, management skills, and my mad hair game (jokes. I have no hair), as opposed to my technical writing prowess. Although I can write - it's just the details that sometimes trip me up when it comes to my own writing.

You have every right to be disappointed by this though - I will do better.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Dripgrind

Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:52 pm

So wait - has Pocket Tactics been sold/taken over? Or just hired a new writer?

If the former, have the old writers moved to a new venue?

EICJoe

Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:58 pm

So wait - has Pocket Tactics been sold/taken over? Or just hired a new writer?

If the former, have the old writers moved to a new venue?
Owen sold the website to a company called Slitherine last year, I believe. I'm the new Editor-in-Chief (I am Joe Robinson) taking over from Dave, and as was just pointed out, I'm a little rusty.

Dave is no longer writing for the site, although I'm given to understand he'll be coming back to the forums sometime soon to hang out. Kelsey has been posting like a trooper, and is currently hitting me with a stick for not catching those errors.

I'm still connecting with the others to see what they're doing, although Matt Thrower is still on staff for both Wargamer and Pocket Tactics.

Hope that helps!
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Dripgrind

Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:57 pm

Joe, you can't write even on a sentence by sentence level. There's no way you are ready to be Editor-in-Chief of anything.

Being "a little rusty" doesn't excuse screwing up the name of the site you're writing for, or struggling with they're/their and it's/its. Even though you've corrected those mistakes now, the subtler illiteracies in your post remain:

"App" doesn't need to be capitalised, and neither does "Smartphone".

"Before taking over the helm at Pocket Tactics, the website was..." - did the website take over the helm? No? Then you need to rewrite the sentence. This grammar mistake is called a "dangling present participle".

What's the unpaired apostrophe doing in 'controller App ?

But let's put aside the fact that you can't consistently write grammatical English: there's a far more serious problem with this post, Joe.

You're not on our side.

You're not writing to serve the interests of your readers. You're not writing games journalism. Anything you learned from your 6 years of games journalism seems to have been wiped away by two years of writing press releases.

You've written this from the point of view of games developers, not games players.

You spend the first three paragraphs explaining the problem that Pocket Tactics is going to solve *for developers*. They find it hard to get visibility for their products, F2P, tough market, blah blah, fine, I understand. But I read Pocket Tactics to solve a different (although related) problem: as a gamer, I want to find good or interesting new games to buy and play. That's *my* problem, and the problem that all your readers are here to solve.

Now, is Eon Altar a good or interesting game? This post gives me no clue. It just talks abstractly of how "Eon Altar players use their Smartphones (sic)". The two paragraphs you use to describe the game mechanics make it sound like it might be an interesting game, but is it worth my time and money buying it and getting together 0-3 other players to try it? I have no idea.

The old Pocket Tactics would sometimes announce that a game was available before reviewing it, but at least they'd indicate if a review was forthcoming, and venture an opinion about whether the game looked promising, and give maybe give some context about what the developer has done before; but this post concludes with "Check it out, see what you think." (This grammar mistake is called a run-on sentence). That's useless to us. That's telling us to do the work that we wanted you to do. All you've written is a press release. And if the strategy is to turn this into a press release outlet, you're rapidly going to lose your audience.

Blanchot

Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:33 pm

^ This. ^

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”