admin
Site Admin

Gameday Live: A new kind of Football Management Sim [First Look + Interview]

Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:00 pm

The only PC I had access to as a child belonged to my grandparents, who I would usually visit every other weekend.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/gamed ... interview/

EICJoe

Re: Gameday Live: A new kind of Football Management Sim [First Look + Interview]

Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:13 pm

As a note from me - this is another one of those moments where I'm experimenting with new(ish) content directions. Looking back through the archive, it doesn't appear that sports-sim content has been covered with any kind of consistency for a couple of years now (I could be wrong there, the archive isn't great).

Mark has played a ton of Football Manager, so was especially qualified to talk about GDL. If he wasn't writing for us I'd have probably given it a miss since I'm keen cultivate expertise and knowledge - a lot of the guys have played CCGs as well, which is why that's another area I feel comfortable expanding into.

Fun Fact: the audience here is primarily North American, with a small UK following and then it pretty much fragments to the 'rest of the world'. But with Mark and I based in Europe, topics like Football (or Soccer) come more easily to us than American-based sports. So while I don't want to alienate any of you who may like management games on sports popular over the pond, this IS a way I can try to increase the EU-based following.

Just some insight for you there - If you have any concerns regarding content direction or editorial policy, feel free to contact me directly. Otherwise, let us know what you think of Mark's write-up of GDL!
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Playa_Punch

Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:16 pm

I, one north american reader, appreciate the article. I've always found it odd that what are effectively strategy games (sports sims) are generally excluded from the gaming conversation because of this imaginary line drawn between gaming and sports. Out of the Park Baseball and Football Manager have received a good many of my gaming hours and I look forward to Gameday Live or any title that looks to innovate in the genre.

glecko

Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:39 pm

Yes please, as a soccer/football fanatic I can't get enough of these articles. I also appreciate good sims focused on other sports and love to read about them.

Keep it coming ... great work ... love the site.

geigerm

Re: Gameday Live: A new kind of Football Management Sim [First Look + Interview]

Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:44 pm

Sports sims haven't gotten a ton of love here, but Owen was pretty good about at least highlighting new releases of iOOTP (before it became MLB Manager) and Pro Strategy Football (more of a coaching sim than a management sim, but still relevant). And this site introduced me to a number of soccer sims: Football Chairman, Title Challenge, and Football Manager Handheld, which had a tremendously negative impact on my productivity. I actually just bought FM Mobile 2016 on sale last week, and the very helpful/depressing "Game Status" page tells me I've already spent about 10 hours on it.

TL;DR Sports sims are good. Keep talking about them. GDL sounds interesting.

NiihamaGhosts

Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:25 am

Yes to more sports sim coverage!

Another early Pocket Tactics favorite was New Star Soccer, which sims a single player's career, including off the field ;) .

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”