admin
Site Admin

Fantasy Flight’s Keith Hurley Talks Digital Board Gaming

Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:23 pm

Between adaptations and companion apps, the digital side of board gaming is growing every year. Fantasy Flight Games – the creators of the X-Wing Miniatures wargame, Descent, card games and whole host...

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/fanta ... rd-gaming/

EICJoe

Re: Fantasy Flight’s Keith Hurley Talks Digital Board Gaming

Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:32 pm

I never really know what to make of internal interviews like this. Everyone always seems to so upbeat and they rarely have anything 'news-worthy'. Still, you can glean some insights here, and it's not really my job to assume you've already read it - what do you guys think? Would you want to see more stuff like this or does it stray too much into 'free PR' territory?
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

halfvoid

Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:58 pm

I absolutely loved their port of Elder Sign: Omens and wish they would publish more full digital versions of their games *cough cough* netrunner *cough* or even a fully solo version of Space Hulk: Death Angel.

It does feel quite a bit like a puff piece though, due to the safe questions asked. Perhaps reddit hosted ask my anythings where fans / critics can ask more divisive questions would be better suited? Or even polling PT readers (forumers?) for questions to ask developers in a PT led interview would be good as well.
Last edited by halfvoid on Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinelk

Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:59 pm

I interpreted the Mansions of Madness comment to refer to the helper app which is integrated into the second edition, so that the players can play fully cooperatively or solo (rather than the first edition, which required a player to run the bad guys). I don't take it to indicate that they have any intention to explore or release a fully digital version of the game. That undercuts what would otherwise have made this a pretty newsworthy announcement.

But I think your basic approach here is great--pull out anything newsworthy and report it as news with a link to the source. Ignore anything which adds no content (which, for PR, seems to be a surprisingly large proportion of what they write). If your interpretation were correct and they designed MoM 2nd Ed with a fully digital version in mind, that would merit a post which puts the focus there and mostly omits the faffing about regarding how cool FFG is. A brief note that their catalog of boardgames is impressive by any standard and they've done a lot with both standalone apps and helpers is about all you need for the rare PT reader who hasn't encountered them before, and that's just what you did.

marcnelsonjr

Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:50 am

NETRUNNER APP!

Now that that's out of my system... :) Battlelore Command really captures the best and worst of FFG digital interpretations. As the interview states, there were significant modifications to the game to make it work better as an app - there were done very well, and a fantastic branching single-player campaign added a huge amount of value.

...Then FFG gave in to people whining about scenario difficulty and pumped up the archer unit on the "good guy" side, unbalancing the entire game. See discussion here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/127532 ... now/page/2

You would think one of the strengths of a boardgame comapany doing their own apps is that they would stay true to their games - instead they threw all that development and playtesting out the window a couple of weeks into the life of the app.

kidkiedis

Re: Fantasy Flight’s Keith Hurley Talks Digital Board Gaming

Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:59 am

There's actually quite a bunch of "greenlights" on that theme, waiting to be released. Wartile, Dicetiny and Warbands for example. Not sure if all of them are going straight to iOS and Android after Steam release, but some of them definitely have that in mind.

Actual board games licenses are not cheap, so looks like some indie studios are coming up with their own ideas, sometimes even more promising than what actual publishers do. With huge respect for mobile FFG and Rodeo Games (Warhammer Quest).

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”