admin
Site Admin

CCG Week: Deckstorm Duel of Guardians

Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:45 pm

Pocket Tactics is holding the first of what we hope will be many 'themed weeks'. This week, we're going to be looking at CCG's, and the myriad of games that...

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/ccg-w ... guardians/

LordGek

Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:50 pm

I tried it the other day and found it very dry without heart. Just a lot of numbers vs. numbers which you can level up to get bigger numbers.

Mirefox

Re: CCG Week: Deckstorm Duel of Guardians

Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:20 pm

If I catch even a whiff of cards that that level/change/grow, etc. between games, I am done (note that Solforge is the exception; that game has problems, and perhaps too much RNG, but the leveling - within a game, note - was an interesting idea).

For me, there is no way to kill a card game faster than developing a system where games can be decided by one person having better versions of the same cards than his opponent. What an awful, awful, awful design.

Playa_Punch

Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:38 pm

I'm liking the idea of the themed week - I look forward to rest of the CCG posts.

Snotty128

Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:47 pm

For me, there is no way to kill a card game faster than developing a system where games can be decided by one person having better versions of the same cards than his opponent. What an awful, awful, awful design.
Why bother selling a man one card when you can sell him ten of the same card? Keeps design overheads down too

Sjeng

Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:18 pm

Themed weeks? Great idea! Looking forward to more ccg's this week and more themed weeks!

EICJoe

Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:43 pm

If I catch even a whiff of cards that that level/change/grow, etc. between games, I am done (note that Solforge is the exception; that game has problems, and perhaps too much RNG, but the leveling - within a game, note - was an interesting idea).

I think the digital landscape does have a lot of potential in doing things that physical card games can't though. Evolving cards, developing strategies on the fly. I play LCG's from FFG but I also really love deck-building games for their replay-ability and the fact you have to build your strategy on the fly.

While this feels like a fairly terrible implementation of the concept. I wouldn't mind more stuff like it done right.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

copman

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:55 am

I love the art, a real benefit within a huge mass of ugly looking stuff, would highly recommend to consider the visual appeal of a game in your ratings!

EICJoe

Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:38 am

Looks like Deckstorm is shutting down.

You guys have till October 31st!

http://toucharcade.com/2016/10/21/denas ... ting-down/
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”