admin
Site Admin

CCG Week: Elder Scrolls Legends, Star Crusade & Lost Portal

Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:30 pm

As we approach the end of our first themed week, it's my turn to take you through some of the other emerging CCG's being released in the wake of Hearthstone.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/ccg-w ... st-portal/

Mirefox

Re: CCG Week: Elder Scrolls Legends, Star Crusade & Lost Portal

Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:44 pm

I am hoping that the Elder Scrolls game delivers what I am looking for. I'm looking for depth of strategy/tactics, and depth that isn't about mitigating ridiculous amount of RNG.

Mirefox

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:55 pm

Thinking about it, another thing I look for in a CCG is the tandem of a) interesting booster packs and b) interesting deck building ideas. Back when I played Magic on a regular (hourly) basis, buying boosters was fun because without fail, I could open a pack and it would contain at least one card that I instantly wanted to add to a deck or build a deck around. For me, Hearhstone was lacking in this department - some boosters could be absolute duds.

Snotty128

Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:32 pm

Im still having a good time with Star Crusade. It probably helps that I only played HearthStone for a while, so I am neither in love with HS nor burnt out on the mechanics. It also helps that the sci fi theme appeals to me. As much as I loath playing against the aliens inspired class, I cant help but grin when all of their eggs hatch and swarm my hapless human defenders.

It seems to me that the devs are promoting the game quite heavily since its recent release on ios. Im being propelled up the free to play curve as they give out daily codes for free boosters and gold. Ive also recieved 5 boosters (nzd$10 'worth') for taking a mentor then reaching a certain level. I would be in for some more free boosters if my own trainees would ever bother leveling up.

biffpow

Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:50 am

I would be in for some more free boosters if my own trainees would ever bother leveling up.
I haven't tried the game but will likely do so based on what you and Joe have written about it here--if you can get credits for inviting me or something like that, just tell me how to cite you when I try the game.

Snotty128

Re:

Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:46 am

I would be in for some more free boosters if my own trainees would ever bother leveling up.
I haven't tried the game but will likely do so based on what you and Joe have written about it here--if you can get credits for inviting me or something like that, just tell me how to cite you when I try the game.
I suspect all my trainee slots are full. There are other ways to get mentor codes, such as their discord server. As long as you use a mentor code before you get your first hero up to level 26, then you should get the reward

Sjeng

Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:56 am

I can also use a mentor code for star crusade, I rather help a PT-member then a random stranger.
Not sure if I play this a lot, because my ipad3 can't handle it so I am bound to pc.

Guess it will be time for a new ipad....
Ipad mini 4 or air 2?

Lots of new card games. I also need to test elder scrolls and besides that I am participating in the Eternal ccg beta.
I like it. Fast paced games. More strategic and less RNG then Hearthstone. Good info here:
http://www.numotgaming.com/magic-player ... ve-primer/

Faeria is a nice concept, but haven't played that much. Not sure what causes it. Maybe the fact I need to play at a pc. I rather play card games on a tablet or phone.

MrGohl

Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:53 pm

Hi all, long time lurker, I wanted to weigh in on all the CCG discussion. CCG's are my first love in gaming. MTG to MTG(online), Hearthstone, Scrolls, Faeria, Hex, Duelyst, Elder Scrolls Legends (ESL), and this week I began Star Crusade and Shadowverse.

I've got to say, currently having achieved almost all I want to in Hearthstone (legend, 500 ranked wins in 8/9 classses, etc), I log in everyday just to finish quests and chip away at my last class to work on, Priest. Elder scrolls Legends has captured my attention for the last few weeks, and I'm absolutely loving it. "Brown Hearthstone" is clearly inspired by Blizzard's behemoth, but the 2 lanes and the Prophecy mechanic make it different enough to capture the audience that is finding Hearthstone a little stale. I really think that out of all the CCG's I've tried since Hearthstone, this one has the best chance to survive and thrive. What I really love about any CCG is the "free to play" challenge: starting with the basic decks and slowly building up more and more compettive decks to crush the ladder. I love how my deck improves quickly, and with ESL, you can can earn currency at a very fast rate, just playing the AI, which is quite varied and competitive. This game just needs a little more marketing, and once it hits IOS/Android, its going to take off.

Faeria is really solid, more tactical depth with the land placement. I find the artwork and atmosphere charming, the games can be a little slow for my taste, but again, when this hits tablets, I will play it daily.

Star Crusade really is Hearthstone in Space with a few extra mechanics. I think the key to any of these CCG's is how fast they can add new content to relatively small cardpool that they all start with.

Shadowverse is interesting, because it seems they have made an effort to make the games very streamlined and fast, which appeals to me. The anime style is not my cup of tea, but it definately plays faster and is therefore more appealing than Star Crusade, for instance.

Hex, I always meant to go back and try out, since I was a backer in Kickstarter, but they essentially copied MTG, with all the interrupts and phases that just play so SLOWLY, compared to the new CCGS. And they use land cards, so that is kind of a step backwards in resource managment (land flood, land screwed, etc.) compared to newer CCGs.

I would definately reccommend The Elder Scrolls Legends and Faeria, these two both promise to be on mobile soon.

Love Pocket Tactics and the community here, keep up the good work!

LordGek

Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:36 pm

Anybody else here tried Eternal? Just got into the beta and it seems a lot like a streamlined Magic, polished but nothing super innovative so far, but have only cleared 1 of the 5 factions in this early tutorial, perhaps more depth will be revealed later.

robthomasson

Eternal ??

Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:42 am

I do like Eternal, more so because I can play it on iOS (in beta). But I am torn on where to focus with TES: Legends, Faeria & Duelyst competing. I guess that - with my limited depth of CCG experience - Eternal is currently an attractive distraction and I would need to get over a hump of understanding to think that I could be competitive (at Eternal). I did finish the campaign and I do enjoy running a Gauntlet now and then.

It is such a luxury so have so many choices for casual play - but for lasting enjoyment/satisfaction I will have to pick one of the above mentioned games and dig deeper into it ...

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”